GDT: USA Vs Austria | 12/26 @ 9:30PM ET | TSN/NHLN

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
I actually missed the entire game.
Can somebody give me a rundown at how Caufield looked?
I know he had no points, but curious how he played.
He was pressing all game holding his stick too tight

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
No it should be punished viciously, eh?

And don't even start with what the primary point of contact was because no matter what the primary point was, the majority of the impact went to the head and that was either the very intention of the hit or something Wimmer made no effort to avoid.

If you're way larger than your opponent there's no way to avoid head contact. His forearm/elbow hit him straight in the chest and the shoulder by default him in the face. Like I said, illegal in international hockey for sure but a good hockey hit

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
I actually missed the entire game.
Can somebody give me a rundown at how Caufield looked?
I know he had no points, but curious how he played.
He was flying but the when he had a scoring opportunity, the puck always seemed to jump over his stick or he missed the net. He also made some careless passes / giveaways. He was one of the lesser players on the team, tonight.

The coach must have been disappointed because Caufield didn't seem to get much ice time - but I didn't see the ice time so I could wrong about that.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If you're way larger than your opponent there's no way to avoid head contact. His forearm/elbow hit him straight in the chest and the shoulder by default him in the face. Like I said, illegal in international hockey for sure but a good hockey hit
Lol would love to see what tune you'd be singing if your boy Auston got rung by a "good hockey hit" like this.

Glad to see CTE destroying lives still doesn't phase some people.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Lol would love to see what tune you'd be singing if your boy Auston got rung by a "good hockey hit" like this.

I thought Nylander getting destroyed in the WJCs a few years ago was a good hockey hit too. Hockey's a physical sport.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018

The last sentence is unfair.

It's difficult when there is a size difference between players. Unfortunately, there is no way to stop it from happening occasionally.

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
No worse than the dirty hit the other day on pod from an American. Pod is just bigger and stronger than his peers.

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
authockeytxreports.wordpress.com
If you don't think the gap is widening, I don't know what to tell you. We now have a situation where the same five teams every year are the only ones with any realistic chance of medaling. Very occasionally we might get an upset here or there by another country of one of these teams, but it's a five team race. The rest are playing not to get embarrassed when they play these big five countries.

And I also think there's also a gap between teams like Czech Republic, Slovakia, Switzerland, and the elevator countries. It's a smaller gap than the gap between the big five and these three, but I think these elevator teams are at such a low standard that I think we need to question whether they should be partaking in the same tournament. 27-2 today between two games makes a mockery of the competition, in my opinion.
Again. Why does it matter if you think the gap is widening? Why can you simply just not watch the game?

Maybe the gap is widening. Maybe it isn't. Who cares. It's a tournament. More teams, more markets, more opportunities to grow player bases and player interest. At the cost of having to play a couple more games a year. Who is actually suffering from the status quo. The fans? They can turn off the television. Plenty of other people will watch anyways.

This is a tangent, but like Germany for example probably will have passed Slovakia and even potentially Switzerland, both of whom are lagging, in a few years. It's already passed both of them in the IIHF rankings, FWIW. Every year they're producing new studs who are way beyond, in my opinion, anything coming or to come out of Slovakia and Switzerland. So your characterization of the categories isn't quite accurate either. Slovak, Swiss, and German fans can have debates about which country is or is going to pull ahead, but by and large, I don't think anyone would argue that there's a serious gap between them and Germany.

In any case, like if you think it's a mockery of the competition. Like how so? It's not like there's anything preventing the top teams from eventually competing with each other at the end of the tournament. The competition is the same as it would be, it's just that there are a couple extra games for you to ignore at your leisure.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
Again. Why does it matter if you think the gap is widening? Why can you simply just not watch the game?

Maybe the gap is widening. Maybe it isn't. Who cares. It's a tournament. More teams, more markets, more opportunities to grow player bases and player interest. At the cost of having to play a couple more games a year. Who is actually suffering from the status quo. The fans? They can turn off the television. Plenty of other people will watch anyways.

This is a tangent, but like Germany for example probably will have passed Slovakia and even potentially Switzerland, both of whom are lagging, in a few years. It's already passed both of them in the IIHF rankings, FWIW. Every year they're producing new studs who are way beyond, in my opinion, anything coming or to come out of Slovakia and Switzerland. So your characterization of the categories isn't quite accurate either. Slovak, Swiss, and German fans can have debates about which country is or is going to pull ahead, but by and large, I don't think anyone would argue that there's a serious gap between them and Germany.

In any case, like if you think it's a mockery of the competition. Like how so? It's not like there's anything preventing the top teams from eventually competing with each other at the end of the tournament. The competition is the same as it would be, it's just that there are a couple extra games for you to ignore at your leisure.

I agree that there absolutely is a place for the whole relegation/promotion. That competition is what's going to drive those nations to develop their hockey programs. Just having their team eligible to play in the tournament SHOULD do wonders for junior hockey in the respective countries. Which will then benefit hockey in general in terms of producing more talent, more competitive product, etc.

Last edited:

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
I literally say it right in the post. So we don't see so many slaughterings like we saw tonight and to add some more intensity back into round robing games.
The seeding and tournament format are entirely irrelevant. It's not like any of the competitive teams lose these games anyways, so they don't affect the eventual seeding anyways. If they wanted to, they could change the seeding format right now, and give 2 first round byes. Do your exact idea but with the current round robin format, and two teams just wouldn't participate in the tournament. Whether there are 8 teams in the tournament or 10 teams doesn't affect whether or not you can do this seeding idea. And even if there were 8 teams, you could still have the same 8 team tournament. And then have the bottom two eliminated teams play each other in the same exact relegation format for relegation. Nothing is actually prevented, format-wise, from occurring, just because the size of the team pool is slightly larger. It's a separate issue, maybe your tournament idea is valid, but it has nothing to do with 8 or 10 teams.

And who is the we that don't need to see so many slaughterings. If you don't want to see slaugtherings, don't turn on the TV, then you won't see as many slaughterings. Seems like a pretty simple fix.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
He was flying but the when he had a scoring opportunity, the puck always seemed to jump over his stick or he missed the net. He also made some careless passes / giveaways. He was one of the lesser players on the team, tonight.

The coach must have been disappointed because Caufield didn't seem to get much ice time - but I didn't see the ice time so I could wrong about that.

He had the most ice time among forwards (17:39). It looked like the coach wanted caufield to get 1

Reactions: kabidjan18

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
I thought Nylander getting destroyed in the WJCs a few years ago was a good hockey hit too. Hockey's a physical sport.
Aw yeah. One hockey player not getting CTE is all the evidence we need that change is not needed. Let's tell that to Montador, Probert, and Boogard. Let's tell that to Paul Kariya who is so traumatized by his head injuries that people had to drag his ass out of his private life to accept his HHOF induction when he otherwise wanted nothing to do with hockey anymore and can't even remember the night Stevens hit him.

Yes hockey is a physical and dangerous sport but at all levels of the game, hits to the head have been banned as an attempt to mitigate that danger, including in the show. A bit of initial contact to the chest, as you see it, does not invalidate that this was a reckless hit with a significant degree of head contact at best. I'm sorry but hits to the head aren't "good hockey hits" just cause a few fans who don't give a rats f***ing ass about players' post-career health and wellness enjoy seeing players get their heads blasted. This keep your head up mentality doesn't justify such force to the most important area of the human body. Assumption of risk can only go so far against sheer recklessness to downright enraged malice.

Reactions: Ban Hammered

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York

You are now sounding selfish. You are suggesting all that matters is everyone getting a chance to participate, which obviously favors your country that has no business playing a game against a country that scores more goals than they have shots.

I think the quality of hockey matters. I think thats a reason why this tournament instituted relegation. It was to keep some accountability within the system. And the quality of the product has always mattered for sports, except the NA sports leagues where the owners have paid huge fees to own a team in a league without pro/rel. In European sports leagues, if you can't compete, you get relegated. You no longer are allowed to participate until you can show that you are the best of the contenders to be promoted. So this idea that the product doesn't matter is faulty, and I think we know that the IIHF believes at least for now until they get enough money from choosing otherwise that the product matters due to the promotion/relegation aspect of this tournament. No one has bought a permanent spot in the tournament yet.

I don't ever believe we would get less teams. These big sporting organizations are selfish. They care about making money. Thats why we see FIFA increasing the size of the WC. It's all about money, and I think if we see any change it'll be more teams. But I think if we care about the product of this tournament that decreasing the number of teams is needed.

And your point about Germany is irrelevant to my larger point. If Germany cycles in over Slovakia or Switzerland over the next ten years, it doesn't mean the standard of these teams is getting better. It'll only mean that if Germany can compete regularly with the big five. And even if we go from a big five+3 mid tier teams+2 relegation fodder teams to big 5+4 mid tier teams+1 relegation fodder team, will that actually see the product of the tournament getting better?

Because the way I see it, the mid-tier has already gotten worse over recent years, so even if we get one extra mid-tier team, the rest of the mid-tier has sufficiently widened the gap between the top-tier and the mid-tier already. I don't think we are getting a net-improvement in the quality of the hockey, unless Germany becomes the type of powerhouse they are in football. Being as good as Switzerland or Slovakia won't necessarily make the product of this tournament any better.

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Not a bad hit imo. 5 inches shorter than him made Wimmer hit Moynihan's head. Feet didn't leave the ground and elbow stayed close to the body. A big player just obliterated a smaller one being careless. Maybe a game because he wanted to start **** with a minute left.

Reactions: Muston Atthews

kabidjan18

Apr 20, 2015
You are now sounding selfish. You are suggesting all that matters is everyone getting a chance to participate, which obviously favors your country that has no business playing a game against a country that scores more goals than they have shots.
I am sounding selfish? Wow. Amazing. Like you do realize...most people have no problem with the current format. There's no one boycotting this tournament because there are a few more games that have to be played. The IIHF loves it. The TV producers love it. The players and coaches of the smaller countries love it. The players and coaches of the larger countries are often supportive, and at the very least don't see it as a significant enough hurdle to prevent it. And then the fans of those countries love it. And the fans of the big countries also tune in regularly to watch these games. So who is selfish? I think the person who is being selfish is the one who wants to change something that doesn't materially affect or hurt him for everyone else just because it affects his perception of his enjoyment, when he can simply stop it from affecting him by not watching. I think that's extremely selfish.

I think the quality of hockey matters. I think thats a reason why there's already relegation, and the quality of the product has always mattered for sports, except the NA sports leagues where the owners have paid huge fees to own a team in a league without pro/rel. In European sports leagues, if you can't compete, you get relegated. You no longer are allowed to participate until you can show that you are the best of the contenders to be promoted. So this idea that the product doesn't matter is faulty, and I think we know that the IIHF believes the product matters due to the promotion/relegation aspect of this tournament. No one has bought a permanent spot in the tournament.
And what's your point? No one has a permanent spot in this tournament either. There is promotion, relegation in this tournament just like there always has been, just like the examples that you're giving above. By the above criteria, the current format is fine.

I don't ever believe we would get less teams. These big sporting organizations are selfish. They care about making money. They don't care that much about the product. Thats why we see FIFA increasing the size of the WC. It's all about money. I think if we see any change it'll be more teams, but I think if we care about the product of this tournament that decreasing the number of teams is needed.
Again. How does the quality of the product change with more teams. It doesn't. You'll get the same exact games that you would have gotten with the previous format. You'll see Canada Russia, Canada US, Sweden Russia, Sweden Finland, etc etc. There will be an intense semi-final. An intense final. How does games that you don't have to watch and in no way affect your ability to appreciate the part of the tournament that you will watch sour the product. Please explain better.

And your point about Germany is irrelevant to my larger point. If Germany cycles in over Slovakia or Switzerland over the next ten years, it doesn't mean the standard of these teams is getting better. It'll only mean that if Germany can compete regularly with the big five. And even if we go from a big five+3 mid tier teams+2 relegation fodder teams to big 5+4 mid tier teams+1 relegation fodder team, will that actually see the product of the tournament getting better?

Because the way I see it, the mid-tier has already gotten worse over recent years, so even if we get one extra mid-tier team, the rest of the mid-tier has sufficiently widened the gap between the top-tier and the mid-tier already. I don't think we are getting a net-improvement in the quality of the hockey, unless Germany becomes the type of powerhouse they are in football. Being as good as Switzerland or Slovakia won't necessarily make the product of this tournament any better.
See above on explaining yourself on why the quality of the product is harmed by parts of the collection/package existing that you don't have to buy.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
Aw yeah. One hockey player not getting CTE is all the evidence we need that change is not needed. Let's tell that to Montador, Probert, and Boogard. Let's tell that to Paul Kariya who is so traumatized by his head injuries that people had to drag his ass out of his private life to accept his HHOF induction when he otherwise wanted nothing to do with hockey anymore and can't even remember the night Stevens hit him.

Yes hockey is a physical and dangerous sport but at all levels of the game, hits to the head have been banned as an attempt to mitigate that danger, including in the show. A bit of initial contact to the chest, as you see it, does not invalidate that this was a reckless hit with a significant degree of head contact at best. I'm sorry but hits to the head aren't "good hockey hits" just cause a few fans who don't give a rats f***ing ass about players' post-career health and wellness enjoy seeing players get their heads blasted. This keep your head up mentality doesn't justify such force to the most important area of the human body. Assumption of risk can only go so far against sheer recklessness to downright enraged malice.

I literally brought up Nylander because you brought up me being upset about a hypothetical situation as Matthews getting rocked as if that would change my opinion of hitting at all. It's about playing smart hockey and protecting yourself at all time. Again, when Trouba crushed Matthews I didn't have a problem with it

So why not ban all hits? The big ones effect the brain just as much as the small ones do. That brain rattling around up there happens on small bumps into the boards as well as the big open ice hits.

Literally all I'm saying is that is a clean hit in the NHL. That's a guy who's 6'4 hitting a guy who's 5'11. Arm tucked, drove through the entire body which, because of size = shoulder into head. Hope buddy is not hurt but stop admiring the pass when you've just run up the score.

Sean Garrity

Quack Quack Quack!
Dec 25, 2007
Dee Eff UU
I literally brought up Nylander because you brought up me being upset about a hypothetical situation as Matthews getting rocked as if that would change my opinion of hitting at all. It's about playing smart hockey and protecting yourself at all time.

So why not ban all hits? The big ones effect the brain just as much as the small ones do. That brain rattling around up there happens on small bumps into the boards as well as the big open ice hits.

Literally all I'm saying is that is a clean hit in the NHL. That's a guy who's 6'4 hitting a guy who's 5'11. Arm tucked, drove through the entire body which, because of size = shoulder into head. Hope buddy is not hurt but stop admiring the pass when you've just run up the score.

That is quite clearly not a clean hit in the NHL...The NHL has literally put in rules to take that hit out of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad