UPD: KHL independent from IIHF, season finish on May 31: impact on hockey

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
How many more thinly disguised Russia-is-a-victim, won’t-someone-think-of-poor-benighted-Russia threads are we going to see here? This had the thinnest veneer of being related to international tournaments and yet here we are.

This is purely an internal matter within Russia and won’t impact anyone else. The actual topic is probably just a political move in any case. But it has no business being dumped on those of us who don’t care about what happens inside Russia.
Replying to bold part. You are mistaken. It is an internal matter within Russia, but it is also international issue. It will affect on calendar & international transfers. If you do not care about schedule, the KHL will finish their season at the end of May so during IIHF Worlds. Transfers are more interesting issue, the KHL will not use the IIHF Transfer Card anymore, which is a huge challenge for IIHF if the organisation wants to keep their role within hockey. No IIHF rules will be applied to KHL, including sanctions.

Other sport leagues can follow the KHL, for example VTB United League in basketball.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The IIHF can ban players for contract violations and clubs can sue them just the same. If someone wants to move permanently to Russia then good riddance.

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Replying to bold part. You are mistaken. It is an internal matter within Russia, but it is also international issue. It will affect on calendar & international transfers. If you do not care about schedule, the KHL will finish their season at the end of May so during IIHF Worlds. Transfers are more interesting issue, the KHL will not use the IIHF Transfer Card anymore, which is a huge challenge for IIHF if the organisation wants to keep their role within hockey. No IIHF rules will be applied to KHL, including sanctions.

Other sport leagues can follow the KHL, for example VTB United League in basketball.
The number of players of any import who are playing the KHL is negligible. A bunch of federations have said players can't play in the KHL and attend world events, so none of this matters to international tournaments. Transfers between leagues don't impact international tournaments.

On the main NHL board we've seen a game day thread posted about a charity game in Russia, cleverly titled "NHL vs KHL" or some nonsense. and then this thread, with the flimsiest link possible to international tournaments, when the clear aim of all of this is to practically beg us all to keep thinking about poor pariah Russia.

If you want to talk about the KHL, there's a whole sub-forum dedicated to it. As I say to my kids, how can we miss you if you won't go away?

Reactions: SoundAndFury

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
The number of players of any import who are playing the KHL is negligible. A bunch of federations have said players can't play in the KHL and attend world events, so none of this matters to international tournaments. Transfers between leagues don't impact international tournaments.

On the main NHL board we've seen a game day thread posted about a charity game in Russia, cleverly titled "NHL vs KHL" or some nonsense. and then this thread, with the flimsiest link possible to international tournaments, when the clear aim of all of this is to practically beg us all to keep thinking about poor pariah Russia.

If you want to talk about the KHL, there's a whole sub-forum dedicated to it. As I say to my kids, how can we miss you if you won't go away?
I honestly tried to explain to you what is going to happen, what effect it will have. If you do not care, I am fine with it.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Russia's in your head rent free, man.
If you don't like the topic of a thread don't enter or stay in it. Simple as that.

Reactions: Pan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad