Marc Staal Appreciation Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bobbop

Henrik & Pop
Sponsor
May 27, 2004
Now, Suburban Phoenix. Then, Long Island
Always a warrior. Congratulations on a great career and welcome back in your new role.

1725572617493.jpeg

Baby Duck Homme

Still waiting to catch a puck from Fotiu...
Sep 14, 2005
Jersey City NJ
I have a funny story about Marc. I work in travel and the Rangers used my company’s hotels often. One year the VP at MSG emailed me that Marc wanted to stay at one of our hotels in the Caribbean over the All Star break
I set up a good offer and sent it over. Then I was asked if I could do the same for Eric and Jordan. I replied hell no, those guys could f*** off.

I was kidding of course but the VP showed the email to Marc and he laughed. VP said he got a kick out of it.

I did set up the hotel stays for his brothers and the hotel was happy to have them. I used to book some travel for Sather too.

They sent me a jersey signed by the whole team and a thank you letter on MSG letterhead. I got to meet him once as they had me over to MSG a few times a year. Free tickets and drinks. Sat in the section with the players families. Stepan’s brother is a dick but that’s another story.

Those were good times.

Machinehead

HFNYR MVP
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
One thing I appreciate about the Rangers is that they give roles to players who gave them a lot of service.

And before people freak out, let's be honest, it's probably not that important of a job. The team is throwing him a bone in terms of a paycheck because he's well liked in the organization, and his input will most likely be limited to professional mentorship which is surely in his wheelhouse.

If he is any good at development in any further capacity, he'll have the opportunity to move up. If not, he'll be a built-in vet for prospects to talk to. He's not going to damage development in any way.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2014
Why are people acting like he was hired as Assistant to the GM or some shit?

Player Development is a small role, not some fancy front office job. I'm sure he knows what fine skills and tuning are needed to play in the Show, he seems like a good mentor and teacher based on the latter half of his career.

Reactions: egelband

alkurtz

Nov 26, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Marc Staal is criminally undervalued and underrated by this fanbase. One of the best #1 draft picks we ever made, a player who actually lived up to his advanced billing. Although he never quite became the offensive D man we hoped for, at the peak of his career he was a legit first pair D man. Paired with Dan Girardi (also a legit first pair D at the peak of his career and also underrated and condemned for his last few years here) they were one of the best pairings in recent decades. I'm sure Ovevkin saw the two of them (and HL) in his nightmares during the summer months after they continually gave him fits. Glad to have him back in the organization, he can be nothing but an asset.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
One thing I appreciate about the Rangers is that they give roles to players who gave them a lot of service.

And before people freak out, let's be honest, it's probably not that important of a job. The team is throwing him a bone in terms of a paycheck because he's well liked in the organization, and his input will most likely be limited to professional mentorship which is surely in his wheelhouse.

If he is any good at development in any further capacity, he'll have the opportunity to move up. If not, he'll be a built-in vet for prospects to talk to. He's not going to damage development in any way.

There is also some likelihood that he's feeling his way into retirement and maybe doesn't want a big role with any team yet. As well the team probably doesn't have a big role job to give him......not without letting someone go anyway.

For anyone who really wants to get into coaching you really have to have the mentality that you're going to start with kids or something lower level and gradually work your way up. You really need to commit yourself to it and it's a learning thing not just for the players you will teach but for yourself as well. On a pro level in season it's a day to day grind and pretty much a full time job with some overtime. Even in the off season there is a lot of prep work for the next year + at least for some while going to coaching clinics etc. You have to really want to work at getting better and smarter yourself and you're not likely going to be making as much money as you did as a player.....or at least if you were an NHL player.

SeanAveryTheGreatOne

Jul 4, 2021
Marc Staal was a bright spot in those dark, dark days of our "#1 D pair" being Redden-Roszival. I was surprised by us giving away a 2nd round draft pick to get rid of him when he only had 1 year left in his contract.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Injuries robbed him of his effectiveness, but he was always a warrior and leader. You want those types around young players. OT game winner in 2012 Game 5 against Washington swung that series for us.

Loff

Lafdaddy
Dec 7, 2007
Soft euro
How great he handled peak OV physically was always a mystery to me. Lanky Marc would somehow lay him out on the regular like it was nothing and Ovy was a bull that would shrug off way bigger players than him too.

Watching Staal during the 07-09 span was very fun:

majordomo

Oct 29, 2023
NYC
How great he handled peak OV physically was always a mystery to me. Lanky Marc would somehow lay him out on the regular like it was nothing and Ovy was a bull that would shrug off way bigger players than him too.

Watching Staal during the 07-09 span was very fun:

I used to go to Caps games just for this!! It was a sight to behold....I even liked the way Staal would level him, then stand looking down at him with that "you wanna try that again, AO?" look on his face.

Reactions: trilobyte and Loff

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad