The Sabres' Biggest Weaknesses

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Johnnydrama21

Jan 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
  • Love
Reactions: Fearnot

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Lazy post to use history as a weakness. Yes PP is the #1 issue. I wouldn't even put bottom pairing; we have like 4 of those who can slot in right now. The only other potential weaknesses are if no one can step into the #4 D spot or succeed in the 2nd line wing.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Big questions at top 6 winger. I get not many moves have been made but I don’t understand not addressing this.

Probably need another RD to play the top 4. But I at least get why the Sabres see a lane to run Dahlin, OP, Byram and Sammy. All 4 have a good chance (if healthy) to be much better than last year.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
The main question is can the top 6 bounce back. The talent is there to do it, so I think it mostly goes to health and coaching. Once teams figured them out after 22-23, as a team we didn't really have an answer. With some fresh, experienced eyes behind the bench, nows the best opportunity to adapt that they've had with this particular core.

There's a missing piece with Skinner being bought out but it's not as important as Thompson, Tuch, Cozens and Peterka looking more like 22-23, and a healthy Quinn.

I don't think the team has a lot of objective weaknesses besides Skinner's old top 6 spot. I wouldn't consider the state of the D group as a weakness. A lot of young talent top to bottom threatening to break out in the right, increasingly realistic situation... just too many question marks in execution (and lack of historical evidence to believe in) still for fans to actually go into the season feeling comfortable.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

I'm in the minority in that I think the Sabres are actually gonna be pretty decent this year but as a Sabres/Bills fan, the history part really struck me

As much as I like Tage, the biggest issue is lack of a franchise forward. There's no cornerstone piece in the forward group (or prospects).

Reactions: Moncton man

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
To me, there are 2 biggest questions going into the season:

1.) Can our defense actually....you know.....play defense in their own zone? We KNOW Dahlin, Byram and Power are nearly masters at breaking out of their zone. But, Byram/Power/Joker have shown that they can get utterly lost in their own zone if the puck spends any time there whatsoever. And if RyJo or Gilbert are competing for #3LHD....one's a rookie and one's never been a full-time NHLer. I've got major, major questions about the defensive ability of our defensemen.

2.) Can Tage and Cozens rebound from poor seasons (and to a certain extent, Tuch)? Yes, I know that Tage's slip was largely health-related (specifically that hand/wrist that prevented him from shooting well). If those 2/3 can rebound, then we're playoff contenders. If they rebound all the way back to 22/23 form.....we're more than likely in the playoffs.

Minor nagging questions:
3.) Can UPL keep up his play from the 2nd half of last year?
4.) Can JJP continue to develop offensively while maybe possibly giving a crap about defense
5.) Will our bottom 6 gel together nicely and quickly?

Reactions: Club and Snippit

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
To me, there are 2 biggest questions going into the season:

1.) Can our defense actually....you know.....play defense in their own zone? We KNOW Dahlin, Byram and Power are nearly masters at breaking out of their zone. But, Byram/Power/Joker have shown that they can get utterly lost in their own zone if the puck spends any time there whatsoever. And if RyJo or Gilbert are competing for #3LHD....one's a rookie and one's never been a full-time NHLer. I've got major, major questions about the defensive ability of our defensemen.

I'm of a similar mind but it's can the forwards defend like real NHLers. Can they come back and take the extra step to be on the right side of the puck instead of constantly, chronically being on the easy side of the play? They can have less talented defensemen if the forwards decide to commit to coming back hard. Underneath everything, that's the question I have for them turning into a consistent winning team that can have a "B game" night and manufacture points.

2.) Can Tage and Cozens rebound from poor seasons (and to a certain extent, Tuch)? Yes, I know that Tage's slip was largely health-related (specifically that hand/wrist that prevented him from shooting well). If those 2/3 can rebound, then we're playoff contenders. If they rebound all the way back to 22/23 form.....we're more than likely in the playoffs.

This is a big one. Is Tage an offensive horse or is he a one-trick pony? Can Cozens grow into the 2-way player he's hinted at becoming?

Minor nagging questions:
3.) Can UPL keep up his play from the 2nd half of last year?
4.) Can JJP continue to develop offensively while maybe possibly giving a crap about defense
5.) Will our bottom 6 gel together nicely and quickly?

I have questions on if they grind UPL down like they did last year. The era of 60+ start starters is past. There were times late in the year when Luukkonnen seemed to be fatigued.

Can they figure out how to do something on the powerplay other than stand around and wait for a Dahlin-to-Thompson flank one-timer to happen when everyone on the ice is sitting on that play...

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm of a similar mind but it's can the forwards defend like real NHLers. Can they come back and take the extra step to be on the right side of the puck instead of constantly, chronically being on the easy side of the play? They can have less talented defensemen if the forwards decide to commit to coming back hard. Underneath everything, that's the question I have for them turning into a consistent winning team that can have a "B game" night and manufacture points.

This is a big one. Is Tage an offensive horse or is he a one-trick pony? Can Cozens grow into the 2-way player he's hinted at becoming?

I have questions on if they grind UPL down like they did last year. The era of 60+ start starters is past. There were times late in the year when Luukkonnen seemed to be fatigued.

Can they figure out how to do something on the powerplay other than stand around and wait for a Dahlin-to-Thompson flank one-timer to happen when everyone on the ice is sitting on that play...
"Horse"???
FB_IMG_1702730746756.jpg

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
No number 2 defender
No real top line
Bottom 4 defenders are all 5-6 defenders
Unproven goaltending

Sure it could change.

• Haha
Reactions: SharkInABoloTie

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Homie's just trolling at this point.

They need to close gaps on defense. The D group is just not built to sustain pressure in their own zone. Make sure forwards are contending passes down the ice and have the defense ready to pounce on bad passes and break up plays.

The quicker, distribution defensemen will be much more effective breaking up plays in the neutral zone, forcing teams to dump and chase as apposed to last season when they allowed guys to walk into the zone far too often.

Jimmybarndoor2

Jul 24, 2021
Hard to say what the weaknesses will be for the coming year but last year they had a few and everyone knows them
First period naps
Power play
Scoring goals
Lack of team toughness
No team leader and no vets to lead the way
Don’t know how to play like a winner

Lots of young players that could turn out to be busts.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
Slow starts.

I think last season would have had a slightly different finish to it if they weren't out of so many games in the first 5 minutes. It had literally become a running joke around here.

If Lindy Ruff can fix that IMO it will go a long way towards turning this into a competitive team.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Not throwing a single check for 30 straight minutes...

Im curious to see how Clifton potentially rebounds knowing he isn't the only one on the entire roster willing to engage the opponent...I think he surprises us and reverts back to his Boston days if he can play with the edge he likes.

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Slow starts.

I think last season would have had a slightly different finish to it if they weren't out of so many games in the first 5 minutes. It had literally become a running joke around here.

If Lindy Ruff can fix that IMO it will go a long way towards turning this into a competitive team.
Yeah for real Don's idea of pre game hype was putting Ambien in the Gatorade that wont be an issue under Lindy.

michaelsaas

Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Beaumont, TX
As much as I like Tage, the biggest issue is lack of a franchise forward. There's no cornerstone piece in the forward group (or prospects).
I don't disagree with you, but there is no denying he played like a franchise forward two years ago. I just feel that was more of an overperformance then him establishing himself as a FF. I do truly hope to be proven wrong. I was skeptical of him going into the 22-23 season as well and was happily proven wrong then.

For me the biggest weaknesses have been preparation/consistency and team defense. I have no choice but to hope Ruff and the players will address the first item. If the second can be improved without sacrificing too much offense then I think this team could surprise people.

Satanphonehome

Jan 4, 2015
Last year it was:

lack of offence from its most talented forwards, particularly on the PP
Lack of defence/physicality from its depth forwards
Inconsistent play from its top 4 outside of Ras.
Starts/first periods

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad