OT: MIchigan Sports Thread: UM wins Natty Championship

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Alright, I'll ask this hear. I can't seem to get an unbiased opinion anywhere. What's the TRUTH behind the Stallions/Sign stealing accusations? I'm not trolling here, as I am lifelong Michigan fan.

I've spent a good bit of time arguing on anti-social media over it. It's either fellow M fans saying 'nothing to see here' or O$U fans blaming Stallions for their last three years loses.

It still comes down to this, for me... Michigan got BETTER when the allegations came down, and they couldn't 'cheat'. And if Stallions was installed behind another team's sideline, why was it..... Central.... It's not like they'd need to steal signs to beat them.

I'm truly lost here.
Sounds like you just have to answer your own personal ethical questions here. Do you think it's ok to cheat if you didn't need to?

I know where I stand on that.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Alright, I'll ask this hear. I can't seem to get an unbiased opinion anywhere. What's the TRUTH behind the Stallions/Sign stealing accusations? I'm not trolling here, as I am lifelong Michigan fan.

I've spent a good bit of time arguing on anti-social media over it. It's either fellow M fans saying 'nothing to see here' or O$U fans blaming Stallions for their last three years loses.

It still comes down to this, for me... Michigan got BETTER when the allegations came down, and they couldn't 'cheat'. And if Stallions was installed behind another team's sideline, why was it..... Central.... It's not like they'd need to steal signs to beat them.

I'm truly lost here.

I don't care about college football beyond my inlaws really caring about it. I never saw the big deal to it, though people have tried to lecture me of the great importance of it. It's up there with sports programs buying kids a pizza for me.

Reactions: Ed Ned and Leddy

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
First, i would go watch the new documentary on Netflix, that answers a lot of questions.

So, like a lot of UofM fans, he was weird in his fandom. A Walmart Wolverine. He always wanted to coach football, that was his dream. He went to the Naval Academy (military), because that's what all great coaches did in the past. He got his foot in the door by offering to help the coaching staff with anything they needed. His first part of the Navy team was to decipher signals (sign steal). He was really good at it, like really good. In the military for Navy, he was an intelligence guy.

He then learned that there is an underground sign stealing brotherhood with all the signal chasers. He learned what they were doing and decided to be better than them.

After graduation he started working for UofM football. he developed new systems to decipher signals. He was, for a lack of a better phrase, highly committed to making sure UofM Football was the best.

At the same time, as a staff member, he got dirt cheap tickets (sometimes free) that he could give to family and friends, or sell for a profit.

Things you can do to not break any sign stealing rules in the NCAA:
1.) Be on the field and watch signals in person and try to decipher them live during your game.
2.) Record and watch any televised film, try to decipher signals that way.
3.) Have third parties tell you what the opposing signals are, write them down, and remember them. (Secret underground sign stealing fraternity)

What you cannot do, is go to an opposing teams games and record the signals yourself.

The gray area is, can you have family or friends do that for you. it is NOT black or white, it is very muddy. Logically, you shouldn't be able to do that, but what if you have an overzealous Walmart Wolverine friend that texts you their recording, thinking they are helping?

TL;DR, Connor was very good at his job, he was obsessed with UofM Football from a young age. He gave tickets away to family and friends who recorded parts of games, and sent the to Connor. Connor states he already knew all those signals, so it was no big deal. You cannot go to opposing games and record their signals yourself, it is a gray area for other people to do it for you.

Draw your own conclusions.

Connor denies he was on the CMU sideline to record MSU's signals. World famous egomaniac El Presidente claims Connor told him it was him on the sideline. Connor and the guy on the sideline, do look similar, but nothing definitive proves it was him.

I am a CMU alum, coached College Hockey at MSU, I cheered when UofM when the Natty, I've always rooted for MSU to beat UofM in football, because my Dad went to UofM, but most of our family went to MSU.

Thanks for the extensive response. I don't trust Netflix, based on their biases. I want to research as much as I can before watching it.

I think regardless of

Sounds like you just have to answer your own personal ethical questions here. Do you think it's ok to cheat if you didn't need to?

I know where I stand on that.

Again, is there any proof Michigan used what Stallions was doing to their advantage?

As far as being a question of ethics, it's only that of Stallions unless Michigan used his info.

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Thanks for the extensive response. I don't trust Netflix, based on their biases. I want to research as much as I can before watching it.

I think regardless of

Again, is there any proof Michigan used what Stallions was doing to their advantage?

As far as being a question of ethics, it's only that of Stallions unless Michigan used his info.
There's videos online of the coaches consulting with Stallions after signals come in then frantically sending their own play call in accordingly

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL

I think regardless of

Their biases? Lol k.

And yes, they clearly used his insights to their advantage, again, if you watch the documentary. He even got a game ball from Harbaugh for his extensive work.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Their biases? Lol k.

And yes, they clearly used his insights to their advantage, again, if you watch the documentary. He even got a game ball from Harbaugh for his extensive work.

Netflix is pro woke/liberal/democrat. Everyone knows this. That doesn't have anything to do with the Stallions doc, but they're notorious for pushing their viewpoint one way or the other.

What did Stallions do for the team outside of his little hobby? Is it not possible he got a game ball for something other than said hobby?

jaster

My dog from Belgium came with frites.
Jun 8, 2007
grandpa-abe-exit.gif

newfy

Jul 28, 2010

I'm truly lost here.
Michigan fan here but I'll give my piece. First of all youre right, after it got blown up, they beat a bunch of top ten teams, without their head coach and without their sign stealer. It should show you how much it didnt actually matter. Every team has a sign stealer on staff, all those other teams had theirs on the side line and it didnt remotely matter.

I dont think its nothing to see.... but it also came out that Ohio State, Purdue and Rutgers were sharing Michigans signs with each other. This is literally the advanced, in person scouting rule Michigan "broke". No one cares because thats a way it is done normally, but still quite obviously illegal based on the rules. What is a bigger advantage, 3 team staffs with coaches on the side line collaborating on stealing Michigans signs, or having cell phone footage from the stands? No one seems to care about that at all.

To wrap it up, I would say that the way Michigan ended the season with Harbaugh and Stallions not on the sidelines and still beating everyone shows that it doesnt matter. And I would say that any Buckeyes fan that tries to say it was a big deal that their team was literally collabing with other B1G teams to get Michigans signals as well so its extra irrelevant. I would never get in an argument with a Purdue or Rutgers fan so that part doesnt matter.

Hope that helped!

Reactions: Indrid Cold

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The ugly wins still count. The offense was incredibly rusty but then it was great to see how the Lions handled that overtime. It's impressive when a team knows you're going to run the ball but they still can't stop you.

Indrid Cold

Oct 24, 2022
Michigan fan here but I'll give my piece. First of all youre right, after it got blown up, they beat a bunch of top ten teams, without their head coach and without their sign stealer. It should show you how much it didnt actually matter. Every team has a sign stealer on staff, all those other teams had theirs on the side line and it didnt remotely matter.

I dont think its nothing to see.... but it also came out that Ohio State, Purdue and Rutgers were sharing Michigans signs with each other. This is literally the advanced, in person scouting rule Michigan "broke". No one cares because thats a way it is done normally, but still quite obviously illegal based on the rules. What is a bigger advantage, 3 team staffs with coaches on the side line collaborating on stealing Michigans signs, or having cell phone footage from the stands? No one seems to care about that at all.

To wrap it up, I would say that the way Michigan ended the season with Harbaugh and Stallions not on the sidelines and still beating everyone shows that it doesnt matter. And I would say that any Buckeyes fan that tries to say it was a big deal that their team was literally collabing with other B1G teams to get Michigans signals as well so its extra irrelevant. I would never get in an argument with a Purdue or Rutgers fan so that part doesnt matter.

Hope that helped!

It did. Thanks for the response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad