Unpopular Video Game Opinions

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
That would suggest that when I continue to replay gen 1, as recently as a couple months ago, I shouldn't enjoy it much more than the newer gens. But I do. It's not pure nostalgia. They've over saturated and over complicated it to the point where it isn't as fun. They are still enjoyable, but nothing compared to gen 1.

I can understand saturated, but how are the later games complicated?

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
What was the counter to psychic pokemon in Gen 1, anyway?

I mean, I typically just used the missingno glitch to get all my pokemon to lvl 100, so I was able to just brute force everything. :laugh:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
The only thing that's not popular about the Pokemon series is my dragonite with extreme speed.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
1) The first 3 Splinter Cell games are far and away the best work Ubisoft has done and Splinter Cell in general should be mentioned much, much more in other people's "Favorite/Best games" lists

2) GM Connected was the greatest game mode in sport's game history and the fact that EA didn't fix the bugs/let it die is criminal

3) If you're old enough to drive, you're too old to be playing Pokémon...you creepy jerk :laugh:

4) The combat mechanics (minuscule "x" as a crosshair) of Fallout/Skyrim make the games extremely uninteresting to me

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008

I mean, I typically just used the missingno glitch to get all my pokemon to lvl 100, so I was able to just brute force everything. :laugh:

even in some of the later games Kadabra and Alakazam still had insanely high special atk and could pretty much one shot pokemon of equal level

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008

Bug and Ghost.

Unfortunately, neither had very many moves, and the Ghost types at the time were all Poison as well making them weak to Psychic.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
[/b]

because it didn't look like ****?

maxresdefault.jpg

vs

Virtua_Fighter.png

That was the first Virtua Fighter, in a way comparable to Street Fighter 1. Virtua Fighter 2 came out only a year later and was much more polished:

Virtua_Fighter_2_screen.jpg

I never thought of Virtua Fighter as competition for Mortal Kombat though. It was more Street Fighter 2 vs MK, and VF vs Tekken (and Tekken wasn't any good until Tekken 3).

But yeah anyways back to the point, Mortal Kombat was kind of crappy. I mean every character has the same basic move set, with only special attacks being different. It also wasn't nearly as fluid as the competition. Only thing it had going for it was the violent finishing moves which made every male teenager want to play it.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Mortal Kombat in arcades drew in a more mainstream audience who didn't actually know/give a **** about fighting games thanks to all the angry soccer mom media coverage it got.

Most fighting games with legit arcade releases were better than MK. Most fighting games now are still better. Only thing I would put MK2 and 3 over in arcades was the first KI, but even that is better these days.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
The point of Mortal Kombat was never to be a super-strategic fighting game. The point was to rip someone's spine out and beat them to death with it because it was ****ing cool.

If you really enjoyed fighting games you went elsewhere

Vegeta

Prince of all Saiyans
May 2, 2009
Capsule Corp.
That was the first Virtua Fighter, in a way comparable to Street Fighter 1. Virtua Fighter 2 came out only a year later and was much more polished:

Virtua_Fighter_2_screen.jpg

I never thought of Virtua Fighter as competition for Mortal Kombat though. It was more Street Fighter 2 vs MK, and VF vs Tekken (and Tekken wasn't any good until Tekken 3).

But yeah anyways back to the point, Mortal Kombat was kind of crappy. I mean every character has the same basic move set, with only special attacks being different. It also wasn't nearly as fluid as the competition. Only thing it had going for it was the violent finishing moves which made every male teenager want to play it.

Tekken 2 was fantastic.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Here is one that is sure to ruffle a few feathers, but is 100% spot on:

If you know how to actually use him properly, Vega is *BY FAR* the most over powered character in pretty much every Street Fighter game ever made.

#WarriorOfRoses

latest

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
The point of Mortal Kombat was never to be a super-strategic fighting game. The point was to rip someone's spine out and beat them to death with it because it was ****ing cool.

If you really enjoyed fighting games you went elsewhere

bingo

MK went for fun first and everything else second. And god damn was it fun.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
Another unpopular gaming opinion I have:

I think Majora's Mask is the far superior game to OOT. OOT was just by-the-numbers and didn't really innovate as much as people think.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Another unpopular gaming opinion I have:

I think Majora's Mask is the far superior game to OOT. OOT was just by-the-numbers and didn't really innovate as much as people think.

Liking MM is a better game isn't crazy.

Thinking OoT didn't innovate is absolute crazy talk. Game was extremely innovative for the entire 3D adventure genre.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There weren't any damaging Ghost-type moves in Gen 1 outside of Night Shade, which only did damage based on your level anyway, so it was moot.

And it was ineffective against psychics in gen 1 because of a bug. Bugs were the only type counter for psychics in gen 1 but there weren't any good bug types.

Why we got the dark type so quickly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad