Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Totally yes. Why not? He's a young 22 years old LHD who had a good junior career. He is a 5th round pick so his chance to pan out are not so high but LHD is our weakest position more options would certainly help.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Totally yes. Why not? He's a young 22 years old LHD who had a good junior career. He is a 5th round pick so his chance to pan out are not so high but LHD is our weakest position more options would certainly help.

Umm didn't play junior played US college hockey.

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Will Butcher was drafted in 2013 by the Avs but he will be a free agent tonight after 12 midnight. Any NHL team can now sign him. He has played 4 years in the NCAA and has had two really good back to back seasons as a left handed shooting defenseman.

Should the Habs go after him and can he be an option for us as Weber's partner at age 22?
There isn't a team in the NHL right time that is more in a "rebuilding mode" than the Avs... There must be a reason why they are letting this guy leave their organization.

Remember guys that a GM is limited to 50 contracts. Montreal has 46 right now.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
There isn't a team in the NHL right time that is more in a "rebuilding mode" than the Avs... There must be a reason why they are letting this guy leave their organization.

He wanted to turn pro after his junior year...the Avs wanted him to play another year.

So he's choosing to go as a free agent.

It's not so much the Avs let him walk, more so that he doesn't want to sign with them.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

They're not letting him go. He doesn't want to sign with them. They can't force their prospects to sign with them. And since he's not readmissible for the draft, he can pick where he goes. Jimmy Vesey did the same thing last year to Nashville.

Habs definitely have the space in the 50-contract limit. But their NHL roster at this moment is at max with 23. However, that can be dealt with at camp. Butcher could be an extra interesting option that can force Habs to deal someone else or waive someone without worrying about if they get claimed or not.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal

You misunderstand the situation. Butcher refused to sign with Colorado, not the other way around.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

The avs did not let him go. He did not sign with them. Why he did not want to sign with them i don't know but the avs had no control over it. It's the same case as Vesey last year or Blake Wheeler a couple of years ago.

Oct 22, 2012
The avs did not let him go. He did not sign with them. Why he did not want to sign with them i don't know but the avs had no control over it. It's the same case as Vesey last year or Blake Wheeler a couple of years ago.

I keep forgetting Wheeler was a Bruin (who they traded away lol)

Kafka

Mar 1, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Ok, after reading 4 identical replies, I understand that the Avs are losing his rights, and not the opposite situation... I thought they could automatically sign a prospect to an entry level contract.

Because if there is a team who needs D prospects, it has to be Colorado...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Ok, after reading 4 identical replies, I understand that the Avs are losing his rights, and not the opposite situation... I thought they could automatically sign a prospect to an entry level contract.

Because if there is a team who needs D prospects, it has to be Colorado...

Maybe we sign Butcher and then use him in a trade to acquire Duchene? :sarcasm:

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
Jimmy Murphy‏Verified account @MurphysLaw74

Just got a text from an NHL exec after my #WillButcher tweets: "#Habs are more than a wild card!"

This was in the Weber thread and not here for some reason. Looks like we have a legit chance to land him. Would be a fantastic pickup

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Same and I think Bergevin should use the Weber card in negotiations. I just don't know enough about Butcher's game to figure out where he would fit.

He's good, potentially very good even, depending on how much of his game will translate. Not quite NHL ready though in my opinion, but he'd be in the mix at the camp . I'd have him on the same level as Jerabek, a pairing with Weber might be a little premature.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Anybody know much about him? Former 5th round pick but appears to have done very well in the NCAA in the last two years.

5'-10", 190 lbs? What is his style of game? Good enough to play in the NHL next season?

Looks to be an offensive, good skating PMD.

http://www.dobberprospects.com/will-butcher-2/
http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/07/26/scouting-will-butcher-college-free-agent/

Not a huge guy, but seems decent in his own zone. Reading the reports, sounds almost like another Subban-type of player in terms of style.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
Article from back in April:

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/04/11/will-butcher-denver-pioneers-not-signing-with-avs/

Near the end of Butcher’s junior season a year ago, the Avalanche told Butcher’s “family adviser” the team was not interested in signing the 5-foot-10, 190-pound defenseman at any point. But that attitude toward Butcher was believed to have emanated from then-coach Patrick Roy, who was also the Avs’ vice president. Roy resigned in August, and the Avs had scouts or team executives at numerous DU home games this season. Assistant Avs general manager Chris MacFarland was at the Frozen Four in Chicago last weekend.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada

He wanted to sign with the Avs after his junior season. Patrick Roy told him they were not offering a contract at that time. He went back for his senior season, won the Hobey Baker, and when Sakic tried to sign him this year, he told them where to go.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Another name I have heard of the last few days is center Alex Kerfoot, who is in the same boat as Butcher. He played for Harvard in the NCAA, was drafted by the Devils and wil be a UFA as of midnight tonight.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
If there is a remote chance he could make the roster I would offer a contract. Habs need an infusion of good Prospects

Oct 22, 2012
Another name I have heard of the last few days is center Alex Kerfoot, who is in the same boat as Butcher. He played for Harvard in the NCAA, was drafted by the Devils and wil be a UFA as of midnight tonight.

Hmm undersized centerman that went to harvard? Somebody gonna get triggered

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad