Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Unless there's a very interesting young UFA D available (wouldn't mind Darren Raddysh at all, or give a tryout to Brandon Crowley), I really hope we sign a veteran or 2 for the AHL, kids needs to be better surrounded. (unless they plan to send Jerabek in the A, which would be weird)

Same thing with our forwards.

AFAIK Jerabek got a Euro clause. It's NHL or Europe for him.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
European Free Agents to Look At

Over the past few seasons NHL teams have benefited from bringing in players from Europe. Undrafted players such as Artemi Panarin in Chicago or Nikita Zaitsev in Toronto; as well as former NHL players looking to return such as Jaromir Jagr in Florida or Alexander Radulov in Montreal have made an impact. There are talented athletes playing in Europe who can and have helped NHL teams.

Who do you want to see the Montreal Canadiens sign?

http://lastwordonhockey.com/2017/05/27/european-improve-montreal-canadiens-roster/

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
from them all I really like handemark

Possible bargain at center a bit like Strome

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Metallurg Novokuznetsk has been collapsed/cut by the KHL, there is a good place to start looking. Their players KHL contracts would now be void.

There are a lot of teams looking in Europe though, as the article says "Bergevin will need to act fast, however, as teams have already begun signing some of the high-end players." e.g. Chicago and Toronto were both chasing after Rosen from the SHL.

Also, do we have decent scouting staff in Europe??

Last edited:

Draft

Jan 23, 2013
I'd go all in on Sebastian Aho. What he's doing at 21 is very impressive and he's been solid in every international tournament I've seen him in. Maybe Kovar if there are no solid top-6 centres to trade for.

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Metallurg Novokuznetsk has been collapsed/cut by the KHL, there is a good place to start looking. Their players KHL contracts would now be void.

There are a lot of teams looking in Europe though, as the article says "Bergevin will need to act fast, however, as teams have already begun signing some of the high-end players." e.g. Chicago and Toronto were both chasing after Rosen from the SHL.

Also, do we have decent scouting staff in Europe??

Why would the contracts be void. wouldn't their be a dispersal draft?

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Why would the contracts be void. wouldn't their be a dispersal draft?

Not necessarily. The team owner looks like he may try and move the team to a different league, but it wouldn't be under their old KHL contract rules.

Also, it seems the main reason for cutting them is for non payment of players, so it may release players anyway.

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Not necessarily. The team owner looks like he may try and move the team to a different league, but it wouldn't be under their old KHL contract rules.

Also, it seems the main reason for cutting them is for non payment of players, so it may release players anyway.

They were also 14-42-4 last season.

Their leading scorer had 27 points in 60 games, and only 2 players had over 20 points.

It looks like they are moving to the VHL (basically Russian second division), not folding. While the KHL doesn't practice promotion/relegation normally, this can almost be seen as relegation.

It doesn't really matter as they aren't rich with potential NHL talent.

======================T======================

In other news, Medvescak Zagreb is moving to the Austrian League.

They were 23-33-4

Their leading scorer was Francis Pare, but he has already been traded/transferred to Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg

There isn't much else of interest on their roster, even if it has some familiar names like Alex Giroux, Gilbert Brule, and Drew McIntyre.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0070332017.html

There will be three more teams cut after this year. We'll have to see who the three KHL teams that won't play in 2018-19 will be.

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
They were also 14-42-4 last season.

Their leading scorer had 27 points in 60 games, and only 2 players had over 20 points.

It looks like they are moving to the VHL (basically Russian second division), not folding. While the KHL doesn't practice promotion/relegation normally, this can almost be seen as relegation.

It doesn't really matter as they aren't rich with potential NHL talent.

======================T======================

In other news, Medvescak Zagreb is moving to the Austrian League.

They were 23-33-4

Their leading scorer was Francis Pare, but he has already been traded/transferred to Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg

There isn't much else of interest on their roster, even if it has some familiar names like Alex Giroux, Gilbert Brule, and Drew McIntyre.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0070332017.html

There will be three more teams cut after this year. We'll have to see who the three KHL teams that won't play in 2018-19 will be.

Posted in several articles ... "The Kontinental Hockey League has cut a Russian team as it tries to fix worsening financial problems, including debts to league players of over $17 million." Sure sounds like they are being cut, not relegated.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...etallurg-novokuznetsk-cash-woes/#.WSoWemjyuUk

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...ction-reveals-6-month-salary-delays-1.4129607

Still, it would seen to deserve at least a peek to see what any cut team has.

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
Posted in several articles ... "The Kontinental Hockey League has cut a Russian team as it tries to fix worsening financial problems, including debts to league players of over $17 million." Sure sounds like they are being cut, not relegated.

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...etallurg-novokuznetsk-cash-woes/#.WSoWemjyuUk

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl...ction-reveals-6-month-salary-delays-1.4129607

Still, it would seen to deserve at least a peek to see what any cut team has.

The team still exists, and it still has all its contracts. It is going to play in the VHL.

But sure, it was cut, whatever word you want to call it is fine.

But besides that, no one on that team put up any kind of numbers that suggest they would translate to the NHL.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
The team still exists, and it still has all its contracts. It is going to play in the VHL.

But sure, it was cut, whatever word you want to call it is fine.

But besides that, no one on that team put up any kind of numbers that suggest they would translate to the NHL.

VHL ... KHL's "development" league? Well, yeah, doubtful there would be much NHL potential there. When running some of the younger players through eliteprospects not much shows. So much for the looking there idea.

Too bad for them, but I see the move mentioned when I look up the team. "Novokuznetsk will continue to operate their junior club program and also participate in the secondary tier of the VHL."

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
VHL ... KHL's "development" league? Well, yeah, doubtful there would be much NHL potential there. When running some of the younger players through eliteprospects not much shows. So much for the looking there idea.

Too bad for them, but I see the move mentioned when I look up the team. "Novokuznetsk will continue to operate their junior club program and also participate in the secondary tier of the VHL."

VHL is the second tier league.

MHL is the development league.

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Can someone tell me more about Kevin Davis? That kid exploded this year on the same team Juulsen plays... Same age as Noah, never drafted...

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
VHL is the second tier league.

MHL is the development league.

According to the VHL site:
"It is believed that the league will become more of a developmental league. Only seven players over the age of 29 will be allowed onto each team's roster. With no promotion/relegation system set in place with the new Kontinental Hockey League, it has been speculated that most teams in the league will eventually become farm teams of the KHL teams."

According to MHL site:
"The Junior Hockey League (MHL)[4] (Russian: Молодежная Хоккейная Лига (МХЛ), tr. Molodezhnaya Hokkeinaya Liga), sometimes translated as the Minor or Youth Hockey League,is a major junior ice hockey league in Eurasia."

Sounds like the VHL is closer to the AHL and MHL is closer to juniors. Anything else is just splitting hairs.

Last edited:

LastWordArmy

Sep 11, 2011
Canada
According to the VHL site:
"It is believed that the league will become more of a developmental league. Only seven players over the age of 29 will be allowed onto each team's roster. With no promotion/relegation system set in place with the new Kontinental Hockey League, it has been speculated[by whom?] that most teams in the league will eventually become farm teams of the KHL teams."

According to MHL site:
"The Junior Hockey League (MHL)[4] (Russian: Молодежная Хоккейная Лига (МХЛ), tr. Molodezhnaya Hokkeinaya Liga), sometimes translated as the Minor or Youth Hockey League,is a major junior ice hockey league in Eurasia."

Sounds like the VHL is closer to the AHL and MHL is closer to juniors. Anything else is just splitting hairs.

Sure VHL=AHL and MHL=Junior seems accurate.

The fact that they aren't farm teams right now though was why i called it second divison and not AHL... but there are still a lot of AHL similarities.

With no true promotion/relegation its more like AHL than say Allsvenskan in Sweden or other leagues like that in Europe.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Now that the draft is over. I kind of hope Habs can sign Petrus Palmu and Tyler Boland as UFA's. I honestly don't know if Boland was even eligible for this year's draft.

It seems that Palmu has signed to go play for TPS in the Finnish Liiga (the team Koivu runs). I'd sign him to have his North American rights and let him spend a year or two there. He'll be 20 in a few weeks. He can come back to North America when he's about 22 years old. He'll be young enough to be part of the Habs' future. And with a few years in a European pro circuit will help him more than a run in the AHL with Lefebvre (if he's really back). Just a thought.

VirginiaMtlExpat

Second most interesting man in the world.
Aug 20, 2003
Norfolk, VA
www.odu.edu
Now that the draft is over. I kind of hope Habs can sign Petrus Palmu and Tyler Boland as UFA's. I honestly don't know if Boland was even eligible for this year's draft.

It seems that Palmu has signed to go play for TPS in the Finnish Liiga (the team Koivu runs). I'd sign him to have his North American rights and let him spend a year or two there. He'll be 20 in a few weeks. He can come back to North America when he's about 22 years old. He'll be young enough to be part of the Habs' future. And with a few years in a European pro circuit will help him more than a run in the AHL with Lefebvre (if he's really back). Just a thought.

Says online that the Canucks drafted Palmu at 181. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=112892

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Carson, Minulin, Brickey were massive omissions from the 2017 draft for me

other omissions:

Hugg, Keating, Castleman, Nyman, Matthew Timms, Mikhnin, Teasdale, Smart, Tortora, Solow, Oksanen, Kvasnicka were also draft worthy for me.

Hoping some of them get try-outs.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Should the Habs go after Will Butcher?

Will Butcher was drafted in 2013 by the Avs but he will be a free agent tonight after 12 midnight. Any NHL team can now sign him. He has played 4 years in the NCAA and has had two really good back to back seasons as a left handed shooting defenseman.

Should the Habs go after him and can he be an option for us as Weber's partner at age 22?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Anybody know much about him? Former 5th round pick but appears to have done very well in the NCAA in the last two years.

5'-10", 190 lbs? What is his style of game? Good enough to play in the NHL next season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad