Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
For the ones who follow the WHL closely, is Adam Brooks an interesting FA signing candidate? How's his skating?

115 points in 70 games, 47 ahead of Sam Steel the 2nd best scoring player on his team, that's exactly the amount of point Tyler Johnson got in his last year in the Dub.

Pretty amazing progression statwise, went from 11 pts in his draft year, to 62 last year and 115 this year.

Last edited:

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Not free agents but as far as goalies go.. Logan Halladay and Kasimir Kaskisuo who were passed on last year should be selected this year. Hope its us, yet again, for Logan halladay

We're the last team that needs a goalie, we have Price. Even if he gets injured, then we're in good hands with Scrivens.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Watching Vejdemo play today one player that stood out was Linus Hultstrom an undrafted LD. He's having an impressive start to the year but is a bit undersized for a defensemen. Looks like he had a breakout year last season with DLR's former team Leksand. He'll be 23 next month but might be someone to keep an eye on.

Hultstrom is leading the SHL in scoring in the playoffs with 12 pts in 6 games, Lehkonen is tied for 3rd in the league with 6 pts. Wonder if NHL teams will be looking to sign him.

Also Pribyl ended up 2nd in the Czech league in scoring with 45 pts in 45 games. Wonder if the Habs have been keeping tabs on him since opting not to sign him back in 2013. (shame they later changed the rules to 4 years to sign Euro prospects)

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Hultstrom is leading the SHL in scoring in the playoffs with 12 pts in 6 games, Lehkonen is tied for 3rd in the league with 6 pts. Wonder if NHL teams will be looking to sign him.

Also Pribyl ended up 2nd in the Czech league in scoring with 45 pts in 45 games. Wonder if the Habs have been keeping tabs on him since opting not to sign him back in 2013. (shame they later changed the rules to 4 years to sign Euro prospects)

Hultstrom sure is interesting, he's been a producer at every level since his J18 days. On the other hand he's in the same boat as a guy like Johnston ,i.e 5ft10-ich and with some work to do on the defensive end. Seeing him play this year I have to say he does a good job of anticipating the hits though. Definitely worth a look over all. Got a canon of a shot too which is a plus.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Hultstrom sure is interesting, he's been a producer at every level since his J18 days. On the other hand he's in the same boat as a guy like Johnston ,i.e 5ft10-ich and with some work to do on the defensive end. Seeing him play this year I have to say he does a good job of anticipating the hits though. Definitely worth a look over all. Got a canon of a shot too which is a plus.

I would take him over Johnston in a hearbeat, it will be interesting to see if any NHL teams are interested in him or not.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
http://www.tvasports.ca/2016/03/23/une-jeune-vedette-disponible

You're so insightful, you even beat major networks to the punch ;) . You should be doing Eklund's job Monty !

Edit: Apparently they're talking about Bengtsson instead of Hultström . Oh well, my compliment still stands :P .

lol, I saw on the trade boards that NHL teams are interested in bringing over Lehkonen's teammate Lukas Bengtsson. He was injured so I didn't get to see that much of him but had a good CHL tournament if I recall correctly. They don't say what NHL teams are interested but I'm sure the Habs have seen a good bit of him while watching Lehkonen.

In Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts just posted, he mentions the Canadiens being linked to a 29 year old Russian center named Vadim Shipachyov who plays for SKA St Petersburg in the KHL. In 53 games this year he had 17 goals, 43 assists for 60 points and 63 PIM. Not the biggest of centerman at 6'0 187lbs, but something to possibly look at.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-clearing-expansion-draft-questions/

Under thought 17 "A couple other Europeans: Vadim Shipachev. Mentioned him earlier this season, a 28-year-old centre. Montreal was among the interested parties."

interesting, he outscored his teammate Kovalchuk who is also rumored to be returning to the NHL next year. Shipachev was a teammate of Hab draft pick Maxim Trunev, surprised they didn't try to get him then as he had a big year then as well, although perhaps he didn't want to come over at the time.

Looks like Hultstrom is coming over but not to the Habs, teammate of Vejdemo's and leading the SHL playoffs in scoring.

@FriedgeHNIC

Another European free agent who may be coming to the NHL: Djurgardens D Linus Hultstrom. His team was eliminated from SEL playoffs tonight.

Last edited:

JAVO16

Sep 21, 2008
Montréal
In Elliotte Friedman's 30 thoughts just posted, he mentions the Canadiens being linked to a 29 year old Russian center named Vadim Shipachyov who plays for SKA St Petersburg in the KHL. In 53 games this year he had 17 goals, 43 assists for 60 points and 63 PIM. Not the biggest of centerman at 6'0 187lbs, but something to possibly look at.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-clearing-expansion-draft-questions/

Under thought 17 "A couple other Europeans: Vadim Shipachev. Mentioned him earlier this season, a 28-year-old centre. Montreal was among the interested parties."

Looking at that guy's numbers, it's weird that he hasn't been offered some kind of contract before now. He hit the ground running in the KHL at 22 years of age in his 2nd substantial pro season (on the same team as that draft steal of yore, Trunev). He's been a strong producer since then.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Looks like teams showing interest in Pribyl. Wouldn't be surprised if Nygren ended in same boat next summer. Pribyl probably lucky he got to stay in Czech league to develop rather than go to Lefebvre.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Looks like teams showing interest in Pribyl. Wouldn't be surprised if Nygren ended in same boat next summer. Pribyl probably lucky he got to stay in Czech league to develop rather than go to Lefebvre.

Personally I doubt Pribyl'll get much success in the NHL, due to his terrible foot speed. Unless he improved it by miles, I don't see him making the crack. Talented player, but he's slow as molasses and not very agile.

interesting, he outscored his teammate Kovalchuk who is also rumored to be returning to the NHL next year. Shipachev was a teammate of Hab draft pick Maxim Trunev, surprised they didn't try to get him then as he had a big year then as well, although perhaps he didn't want to come over at the time.

Personally I doubt Trunev ever wanted to come over.

Could be fun to add both Shipachev and Kovalchuk.

EXPOS123

Jun 29, 2010

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
He is exactly the type of player that the Habs needs to go hard after - young and skilled. But knowing this management team, they'll probably give huge $$$ to old tired retreads (hello Vrabata)

It's one of the league's worst hidden secrets that he's either signing with the Leafs (where his father works as a scout I believe) or the Boston Bruins (he's from the Massachusetts area)

GREMLIN

Tanking enthusiast
Sep 19, 2013
I hope the pred file tampering charges and win if he signs with the Leafs.

God I'm going to hate them when they're going to be really good in 5 years. :(

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Personally I doubt Pribyl'll get much success in the NHL, due to his terrible foot speed. Unless he improved it by miles, I don't see him making the crack. Talented player, but he's slow as molasses and not very agile.

Personally I doubt Trunev ever wanted to come over.

Could be fun to add both Shipachev and Kovalchuk.

I meant bringing over Shipachev back then, I never thought Trunev would come over.

Pribyl has looked a lot better but it's hard to say if his improved skating/foot speed is enough to be successful on the smaller ice

bcv

My french sucks.
Sep 18, 2010
Habs are interested in St. Cloud State goaltender, Charlie Lindgren, as per Eric Engels

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Habs are interested in St. Cloud State goaltender, Charlie Lindgren, as per Eric Engels

Looks like it's down to three teams, with MIN getting cut.

He's going to play in the NHL this season and burn an ELC year, so thats a non-playoff team for sure.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Per Bobby Mac, Alex Lyon G (Yale) not likely to make a decision until next week, has 12+ teams interesd/offers. He's likely the top FA in the NCAA, but some thought is that he might opt to return for his Senior year so that next year he won't have to sign an ELC and can get more money.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

So we'd be looking at:

Price
Condon
Fucale
Lindgren
McNiven
Hawkey

Not that bad. If not Lindgren, I'd still be looking to add 1-2 goalies.

Fazkovsky

Sep 4, 2013
Pens signed Ethan prow. Would you guys sign Parisi or prow?

Caggiula from north Dakota is quite small so we may stay away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad