Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
What do you think about Kevin Roy? I heard he's going to become a free agent, is he worth any interest?

He's a smaller guy but he has a lot of tools and he's been a solid producer every year. I watch about 2 or 3 NE games a year and he's been the absolute go to player on offense since his freshman season which is quite impressive. He's been having an up and down 2015-16 but a lot of it is due to plain bad luck and injury .

MikeyP

Oct 1, 2013
Halifax
While we all know that Gadoury was a product of Drouin with his 20 goals in 19 games in 2013-2014, he still did fine this year without him with his 67 points in 70 games, playoffs included. Not sure though that he will and should be a target at any point though. Just like the interest have surely cooled down for other guys like Goulet.

IMA just gonna leave this here :)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (A.J. MacAdam Trophy): Phil Gadoury, Dalhousie

The Atlantic conference rookie of the year and recipient of the A.J. MacAdam Trophy for 2015-16 is Dalhousie Tigers forward Phil Gadoury.

In just his first year with the Dalhousie program, Gadoury scored a league-leading 17 goals, including five on the power play and two game winners. He had more hat tricks than any player the nation with five this season.

In 25 games played, the 5-foot-10 commerce student from Montreal racked up 23 points. He posted the third most shots on goal in the Atlantic conference with 90.

"The AUS attracts some of the top talent in the country and this past season featured an exceptional group," said Tigers head coach Chris Donnelly. "Phil had a great start to his university career leading the league in goal scoring as a first-year player, which is a tremendous achievement in such a tough conference. His work ethic and character are second to none, which helped make his transition into the league a very smooth one."

Gadoury, who played two seasons with the QMJHL's Halifax Mooseheads before joining the Tigers, becomes the fourth Dalhousie player to be named the conference's top rookie and the first since the 2006-07 season when Jordan Morrison earned the honour.

He will now look to become the first-ever Dalhousie player to be selected as the CIS rookie of the year later next month. The last AUS player to receive the honour was former StFX standout Jason Bast following the 2010-11 season.​

Shame about his injuries and such at camps. I dont think he ever really got a chance to show what he's capable of.

Oh, also this ridiculous nonsense

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Don't forget to give a report on our boy Oksanen ! ;)

he didn't disappoint, scored a nice goal and played a good game overall as I thought he was one of BU's best players and they were the better team even though they were on the road.

One player I haven't paid much attention to because he's undersized for a defensemen, but Jordan Gross who is a teammate of Jake Evans had a good game and is having a good season as he leads his team in points for defensemen and is tops in the HE in scoring for blueliners. He's only a Sophomore so hard to say when he'll want to turn pro but I could see teams being interested at least for the AHL.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
he didn't disappoint, scored a nice goal and played a good game overall as I thought he was one of BU's best players and they were the better team even though they were on the road.

One player I haven't paid much attention to because he's undersized for a defensemen, but Jordan Gross who is a teammate of Jake Evans had a good game and is having a good season as he leads his team in points for defensemen and is tops in the HE in scoring for blueliners. He's only a Sophomore so hard to say when he'll want to turn pro but I could see teams being interested at least for the AHL.

I wondered about Gross a bit last year since he was doing quite well as a freshman. He was a high profile player out of the high school system but for whatever reason he kinda fell out of the radar in the USHL. Might be a good idea to keep a more focused eye on him the next time I catch a ND game.
As far as Oksanen is concerned I don't think I've seen a BU game where he wasn't one of the 2 or 3 best players for his team. He's very consistent effort wise.

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
IMA just gonna leave this here :)

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (A.J. MacAdam Trophy): Phil Gadoury, Dalhousie

The Atlantic conference rookie of the year and recipient of the A.J. MacAdam Trophy for 2015-16 is Dalhousie Tigers forward Phil Gadoury.

In just his first year with the Dalhousie program, Gadoury scored a league-leading 17 goals, including five on the power play and two game winners. He had more hat tricks than any player the nation with five this season.

In 25 games played, the 5-foot-10 commerce student from Montreal racked up 23 points. He posted the third most shots on goal in the Atlantic conference with 90.

"The AUS attracts some of the top talent in the country and this past season featured an exceptional group," said Tigers head coach Chris Donnelly. "Phil had a great start to his university career leading the league in goal scoring as a first-year player, which is a tremendous achievement in such a tough conference. His work ethic and character are second to none, which helped make his transition into the league a very smooth one."

Gadoury, who played two seasons with the QMJHL's Halifax Mooseheads before joining the Tigers, becomes the fourth Dalhousie player to be named the conference's top rookie and the first since the 2006-07 season when Jordan Morrison earned the honour.

He will now look to become the first-ever Dalhousie player to be selected as the CIS rookie of the year later next month. The last AUS player to receive the honour was former StFX standout Jason Bast following the 2010-11 season.​

Shame about his injuries and such at camps. I dont think he ever really got a chance to show what he's capable of.

Oh, also this ridiculous nonsense

Wait, so 15 of his 17 goals came from 5 hat tricks? So that mean that in the 20 other games he's had only, at the most, 2 goals and 6 assists?

Quite the inconsistent player...

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I wondered about Gross a bit last year since he was doing quite well as a freshman. He was a high profile player out of the high school system but for whatever reason he kinda fell out of the radar in the USHL. Might be a good idea to keep a more focused eye on him the next time I catch a ND game.
As far as Oksanen is concerned I don't think I've seen a BU game where he wasn't one of the 2 or 3 best players for his team. He's very consistent effort wise.

For sure Oksanen gets signed, with his size and decent skills, would think several teams are interested in him. The HE playoffs start next weekend, although BU is likely going to the Frozen Fours so he'll be playing till May. I believe he was at NYR's camp so they might have the inside scope unless some team wants to offer him an NHL spot right away.

Gross I didn't pay much attention to but he has put up points all year so yea I will be keeping a closer eye on him going forward. Will be watching tonights game at some point, it looks like Notre Dame will get a 1st round bye but I'm sure I'll see them a couple more times before the season ends.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Too bad, in retrospect we probably went with the wrong Medecine Hat player.

Not sure, Hunt has been good but I like the little things Bradley does, we'll see where he's at in 2-3 years. Not saying either will end up being much but at this point it's so early in Bradley's development it's hard to say what he will be.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Not sure, Hunt has been good but I like the little things Bradley does, we'll see where he's at in 2-3 years. Not saying either will end up being much but at this point it's so early in Bradley's development it's hard to say what he will be.

I was referring to Eisenschmid ;) . I'm fine with Bradley, he's good value for a later pick.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I was referring to Eisenschmid ;) . I'm fine with Bradley, he's good value for a later pick.

oh, didn't even think of him. Totally forget he played for the Hat. The one thing is I know they said management really likes Eisenchmid and he does have good wheels. Guess we'll see who was the right pick.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
http://panthers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=871740

As was rumored for a while, Dylan Hunt gets a deal with the Panthers. A bit of a bummer since we had him in our reach for a while but we can't get them all obviously. In retrospect we should probably have gone with him instead of Eisenschmid.

Both have very good chances of getting deals somewhere. Goalie really isn't one of our position of need so I don't see us going that route though.

The Nightman

Plateaued User
Aug 13, 2006
after this weekend we should start seeing some NCAA FA's signing, and each weekend after it should start to pick up.

Do the habs maybe have a better chance at signing one this year because they can guarantee playing time?

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watching Miami play UMD, Matt Caito, a RD for Miami is playing well, he's a Senior and doesn't have the best stats but since he's a teammate of Colin Sullivan's, the Habs likely have seen him a few times. Might be someone of interest.

With the new hockey season starting up, this thread will be updated for any undrafted or FA's that might be of interest to the Habs in the off-season.

In watching the Champions League games, some Euro FA's have been impressing.

Marcus Sorensen- F. Drafted by the Sens in the 4th round of 2010 but they opted not to sign him. He's a teammate of Vejdemo's and plays on the top line. Leads his team in scoring at the Champions league. Not the biggest guy but has shown some flashy plays.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=127792

Sorensen just scored a beauty of a goal to take a 3-2 lead in late in the 2nd in the final game of the best of 3 series.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Perhaps the top NCAA free agent, goalie Alex Lyon is a top 10 finalist for the Hobey Baker award. Would be surprised if he doesn't end up at least in the final 3.

Tim Raines

Oct 26, 2015

In my viewings I wouldn't bother with either guy. McNiven is easily the most talented of the three. He is both technically more skilled and way more athletic.

Flynn is a big guy but often struggles laterally and finding shots in traffic. Brodeur is a capable starter now, but nothing special. He's not particularly big and doesn't have that game-stealing ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad