Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Certainly some interesting FA's that are teammates of our prospects. Henrik Tommernes is tied for the team lead in points so far, teammate of Lehkonen's. Marcus Sorensen has been impressive and tied for team lead in points, teammate of Vejdemo's and of course Pribyl who already closing in on last years totals.

I believe it was talked about last year, but perhaps the Habs should be keeping an eye on FA goalie Louis-Philip Guindon. He seems to be doing well in the Q, I know he's not the biggest goalie and with Fucale, McNiven and Hawkey (who is likely years away from the AHL as a guess). Plus we might need an ECHL goalie next season.

Alex Lyon is another FA goalie out of the NCAA, a big year from him and he could be one of the top NCAA FA's this season although he's a Junior so he could opt to return but he's also going to turn 23 in 2 months (spent a few years in the USHL). Yale hasn't started the season yet but he's someone to keep an eye out for.

Troy Stecher, (North Dakota) is off to a big start this year so he should be a top NCAA FA.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Watching Vejdemo play today one player that stood out was Linus Hultstrom an undrafted LD. He's having an impressive start to the year but is a bit undersized for a defensemen. Looks like he had a breakout year last season with DLR's former team Leksand. He'll be 23 next month but might be someone to keep an eye on.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Didn't know where to put this. How come we're not in on Nikita Zaitsev?:

The Leafs, he said, were the only team that had a "real big interest" in him, adding that he would return to the KHL with the NHL in the back of his mind.

After a 32-point, 57-game season that included 12 goals in 2014-15, Zaitsev has continued his strong play as one of the KHL's best young players this year.

In 20 games, the 23-year-old has 10 points (4G, 6A), good for first among U24 defensemen.

In 2011, Zaitsev helped Russia capture a gold medal at the World Juniors.

Last season, he was named to the KHL First All-Star Team as one of the league's two best defensemen, joining goaltender Anders Nilsson, defensemen Maxim Chudinov, and forwards Alexander Radulov, Artemi Panarin and Stevie Moses.

A smooth skating 6-2 defensemen, Zaitsev's game is highlighted by an effortless shot and a willingness to jump up into the play as a fourth attacker.

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2...ta-zaitsev-thriving-in-final-year-of-khl-deal

Unless we're in but Bergevin is working under the radar?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Not a guaranteed spot imo. Even at that we already have Barbs in the AHL and Pateryn and Tinner waiting.

Where does Zaitsev rank vs. say Barberio or Tinner?

ps: thanks mods for moving my posts about Zaitsev to this thread.

Last edited:

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Didn't know where to put this. How come we're not in on Nikita Zaitsev?

Unless we're in but Bergevin is working under the radar?

who knows if we are interested or not. He should look to sign with a team that needs a lot of help on the blueline so he can play a lot.

JHabs

HFB Partner
Dec 14, 2007
Montreal
twitter.com
I could see Habs dipping toes in the water but Zaitsev going somewhere like CBJ. He wants to play now, and guys like Pateryn and Tinordi are riding the pine for over 10 games, doubt he sees his best chance to play is here.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Pribyl named to the Czech team for Euro Cup. Another former Hab FA that will be there, Engqvist was named to Team Sweden. Joining him will be Marcus Sorensen a FA that is said to have some NHL teams interested in him, teammate of Vejdemo's.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Not many interesting overagers this year in the 'Q, but Guillaume Gauthier is having a heck of a season so far. Leads the league in points(37) and is 4th in goals(22).

Type of guy that has always been successful, but I can't see him become an offensive player in the pros. I see him become at best a jack of all trades 3rd liner à la Dale Weise. He's got character, work ethic and a good base of talent. He's currently teammate with one of our prospects took in Audette with Sherbrooke.

But my favourite UFA 20 yo in the 'Q this year is certainly Anthony Beauregard. He has played in the shadow of Aubé-Kubel/Mantha/Richard/Henley brothers/Gélinas, but he's been a consistent offensive contributor, he's crafty and he can follow Anthony 'the rocket' Richard's pace (what I'm hinting here is that he's a swift skater). Not the biggest at around 170lbs but he's got a decent frame at 5'10,5.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Not many interesting overagers this year in the 'Q...

I could see us being interested in a goalie next summer since McNiven will be in the OHL next season and Hawkey in the NCAA for likely several years. So we should be looking for a 5th goalie for the ECHL or if Tok isn't back then we are going to need maybe 2 goalies. I know we've talked about Louis-Philip Guindon from Rimouski, not the biggest guy but I like what I've seen from him in the past. Marc-Antoine Turcotte from SNB seems to be having a good year but I haven't seen him yet.

Although perhaps we look to the NCAA as they have a few guys of interest. Alex Lyon at Yale should have a lot of buzz again but he's a Junior so he could look to return for his Senior year. Charlie Lindgren at SCSU is off to a good start but also a Junior. I like Jake Hildebrand from Michigan St but he's on the small side. Ryan McKay, a teammate of Colin Sullivan's is off to a good start as well, he struggled last year if I recall but had a big Freshman year.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Not many interesting overagers this year in the 'Q, but Guillaume Gauthier is having a heck of a season so far. Leads the league in points(37) and is 4th in goals(22).

Type of guy that has always been successful, but I can't see him become an offensive player in the pros. I see him become at best a jack of all trades 3rd liner à la Dale Weise. He's got character, work ethic and a good base of talent. He's currently teammate with one of our prospects took in Audette with Sherbrooke.

But my favourite UFA 20 yo in the 'Q this year is certainly Anthony Beauregard. He has played in the shadow of Aubé-Kubel/Mantha/Richard/Henley brothers/Gélinas, but he's been a consistent offensive contributor, he's crafty and he can follow Anthony 'the rocket' Richard's pace (what I'm hinting here is that he's a swift skater). Not the biggest at around 170lbs but he's got a decent frame at 5'10,5.

The two OA's that I would look at are Brouillard of Quebec(D) and Laplante of Gatineau up front. Brouillard was in Toronto camp and Laplante was a Phoenix pick but I think he is a FA now.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=143813

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=143830

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
The two OA's that I would look at are Brouillard of Quebec(D) and Laplante of Gatineau up front. Brouillard was in Toronto camp and Laplante was a Phoenix pick but I think he is a FA now.

I seem to recall liking Brouillard when he was teammates of Archambault. Laplante it looks like he wasn't signed so might be worth inviting him to camp, don't think I've ever seen him.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I seem to recall liking Brouillard when he was teammates of Archambault. Laplante it looks like he wasn't signed so might be worth inviting him to camp, don't think I've ever seen him.

Laplante has NHL level skill and a bit of an edge, however he's had a hard time staying healthy.

Played 57 games at 16, 18 games at 17, 63 games at 18, 50 games at 19 and so far all 22 games this year. 84 games missed but most(50) were his 17 year old season.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
watched a little of the Yale game, got my first glance and one of the top NCAA FA's in Alex Lyon. He was impressive, has decent size and good positioning. Got to think whatever NHL team gets him is going to end up very happy, wouldn't be surprised if he went directly to the NHL from the NCAA. Not sure why he didn't turn pro last year as after a season like that it's going to be hard to repeat, he's a Junior now so he could opt to return for his Senior year but he's also days away from turning 23 so might feel it's time to turn pro.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
watched a little of the Yale game, got my first glance and one of the top NCAA FA's in Alex Lyon. He was impressive, has decent size and good positioning. Got to think whatever NHL team gets him is going to end up very happy, wouldn't be surprised if he went directly to the NHL from the NCAA. Not sure why he didn't turn pro last year as after a season like that it's going to be hard to repeat, he's a Junior now so he could opt to return for his Senior year but he's also days away from turning 23 so might feel it's time to turn pro.

He's definitely this year's Matt O'Connor if he wants to be. I'm sure he's got a lot of potential offers on his table and with the junior year he's having it'll only get better. Plus he's at Yale , mister Burns alma mater ! ;) .

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

Laplante has always been a favourite of mine. I'd certainly give it a shot personally. Brouillard is fun to watch too, though teams have shied from him because of his frame. The leafs did invite him to their training camp last September though.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Whatever happened to Pribyl? Is he still in the mix? I never hear about him.

Habs lost his rights a few years ago.

EDIT: He's also having is best year up to date by having 18 pts in 19 games in the czech league. 3rd in U24 scoring, but has a higher ppg than #1 and 2 (missed several game to injury) but they are 20 years old and he's 23.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
who knows if we are interested or not. He should look to sign with a team that needs a lot of help on the blueline so he can play a lot.

I thought Toronto already had Zaitsev's NHL rights in place, even though he is still in the KHL under contract. The article I read back when, was more than just interest in him.

Last edited:

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004
Lukas Bengtsson is a young defenseman that I would take a look at. Is he New York Rangers' property?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad