Speculation: Undrafted FA Thread (NCAA/CHL/Euro)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Yeah I wonder what management is thinking because if he does sign with us certainly a guy like Tinordi or Emelin will be moved. There would just be too big of a log jam at LD.

Our D depth charts with Reilly would be:

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Gilbert
Reilly-Pateryn
Tinordi

You make the decision to trade one of Markov or Emelin (I still say Markov, he'll be too old when Therrien is canned and he has a higher trade value/cap-hit).

Tinordi sits at the 7th D man and can swing in for one of Beaulieu/Tinordi if we find ourselves needed a more physical presence back there against specific teams.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Yeah I wonder what management is thinking because if he does sign with us certainly a guy like Tinordi or Emelin will be moved. There would just be too big of a log jam at LD.

Our D depth charts with Reilly would be:

Markov-Subban
Emelin-Petry
Beaulieu-Gilbert
Reilly-Pateryn
Tinordi

I can see what they are thinking, getting a skilled offensive D for free, plus I could see them trading a D to free up cap space.

My guess is the depth chart if they somehow got Reilly would be

1. Subban
2/3 Petry/Markov
4. Reilly
5/6 Emelin/Beaulieu
7 Pateryn
8 Tinordi

So Gilbert would be the odd man out. I don't know if Reilly can play RD, Beaulieu and Tinordi can if need be. But it's moot point since I don't see him signing here, if they did sign him I would look to see what we could get for Beaulieu in a package with say our 1st rounder. If it was something to really help the offense I would go for it assuming that Reilly showed he can play in the NHL and produce which I think he will but again it's all moot since I just don't see him signing here.

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Mike Reilly ?

I heard Montreal is on Mike Reilly's list. I haven't heard of this guy until today. His father was drafted by Montreal in 77', looking at some highlights he looks to be a powerplay guy similar to Andrei Markov. I doubt Reilly wants to sign with losing teams like Edmonton or Buffalo. Maybe by adding him we can get rid of Alex Emelin. Let him learn from Subban, Markov, Petry.

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Reilly-Gilbert
Tinordi-Pateryn

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows
I can see what they are thinking, getting a skilled offensive D for free, plus I could see them trading a D to free up cap space.

1. Subban
2/3 Petry/Markov
4. Reilly
5/6 Emelin/Beaulieu
7 Pateryn
8 Tinordi

So Gilbert would be the odd man out. I don't know if Reilly can play RD, Beaulieu and Tinordi can if need be. But it's moot point since I don't see him signing here, if they did sign him I would look to see what we could get for Beaulieu in a package with say our 1st rounder. If it was something to really help the offense I would go for it assuming that Reilly showed he can play in the NHL and produce which I think he will but again it's all moot since I just don't see him signing here.

I dont see him being ahead of your 5/6

HCH

Dec 17, 2003
The Wild West
Visit site
I heard Montreal is on Mike Reilly's list. I haven't heard of this guy until today. His father was drafted by Montreal in 77', looking at some highlights he looks to be a powerplay guy similar to Andrei Markov. I doubt Reilly wants to sign with losing teams like Edmonton or Buffalo. Maybe by adding him we can get rid of Alex Emelin. Let him learn from Subban, Markov, Petry.

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Reilly-Gilbert
Tinordi-Pateryn

Horribly soft defense - especially since the only two guys who consistently hit are on your 4th pairing. This group would be eaten alive in a physical series.

dreamingofdrouin*

Beaulieu - Subban
Markov - Petry
Tin/Reilly - Pateryn

gilbert

emelin

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Horribly soft defense - especially since the only two guys who consistently hit are on your 4th pairing. This group would be eaten alive in a physical series.

So I'm guessing that you're not watching the Stanley Cup finals aren't you? Defense nowadays is based on speed and quick counterattacks. Look at the nearest team to become a dynasty (Chicago) and how their D is so physical.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
So I'm guessing that you're not watching the Stanley Cup finals aren't you? Defense nowadays is based on speed and quick counterattacks. Look at the nearest team to become a dynasty (Chicago) and how their D is so physical.

Their D is good all around. It's got a good mix of skill, mobility and physicality. And physicality is not running around throwing hits, it's winning battles and making strong plays despite taking hits.

You can't move the puck if you don't recover it.

Richiebottles

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 26, 2010

Their D is good all around. It's got a good mix of skill, mobility and physicality. And physicality is not running around throwing hits, it's winning battles and making strong plays despite taking hits.

You can't move the puck if you don't recover it.

The perfect D is IMO like LA had when they won the cup last year.

A good mix of speed and grit.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Yeah he sure loves the spinorama, he even celebrates a bit like PK too :laugh:. A lot to like puck skills wise with the kid, great shot too, smooth skater.

Malreg

May 12, 2011

Markov-Subban
Beaulieu-Petry
Reilly-Gilbert
Tinordi-Pateryn

I would love to get Reilly, but it's pretty much guaranteed that he's going to either Minnesota or Chicago.

His dad is a minority owner of the Minnesota Wild. If he doesn't go there, Chicago is the most logical choice. A chance to play on the top 4 of a perennial Stanley Cup champion.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
A few overagers from the WHL that might be worth looking at for St.John's;

Center - Colby Cave - Swift Current Bronco's - 35g + 40asst = 75pts - 6'1" - 200 lbs.
LW - Tyrell Goulbourne - Kelowna Rockets - 22g + 23asst = 45pts -6'0 - 200 lbs.
LW - Tanner Eberle - Moose Jaw Warriors - 33g + 23asst = 56pts - 5'11" - 190 lbs.
RW - Axel Blomqvist - Moose Jaw Warriors - 25g + 34asst = 59pts -6'6" - 215 lbs.
RD - Evan Wardley - Seattle T-Birds - 6g + 16asst = 22pts - 6'3" - 220 lbs.

Another RW from Seattle worth a 3rd round draft pick in 2015 is Keegan Kolesar -6'2" - 220 lbs. with 19g + 19asst = 38pts.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I dont see him being ahead of your 5/6

Well it's just a guess since it's very hard to say how he will do going from the NCAA to the NHL but having seen him play over the last 3 years, I do think he's going to be a solid offensive D and if he were here I do think he would be able to move into that top 4 role but you just never know how he's going to handle the jump. Kids got a lot of skill that's for sure. Sucks for the jackets though.

I would love to get Reilly, but it's pretty much guaranteed that he's going to either Minnesota or Chicago.

His dad is a minority owner of the Minnesota Wild. If he doesn't go there, Chicago is the most logical choice. A chance to play on the top 4 of a perennial Stanley Cup champion.

yea, all the talk on the NCAA boards were that he wanted to sign with the Hawks, he's clear to do so starting tomorrow but I know that when he was at the wc's, his teammates told him to take his time and weigh his options since he's in such an unusual spot. So maybe things have changed, guess we'll find out soon enough. Though getting to sign with the team that has won 3 of the last 6 cups has got to be hard to turn down.

Vi Nc E x13x

Oct 30, 2011
Who Knows

Center - Colby Cave - Swift Current Bronco's - 35g + 40asst = 75pts - 6'1" - 200 lbs.
LW - Tanner Eberle - Moose Jaw Warriors - 33g + 23asst = 56pts - 5'11" - 190 lbs.
RW - Axel Blomqvist - Moose Jaw Warriors - 25g + 34asst = 59pts -6'6" - 215 lbs.

Another RW from Seattle worth a 3rd round draft pick in 2015 is Keegan Kolesar -6'2" - 220 lbs. with 19g + 19asst = 38pts.

Wasnt he at our camp last year and from I remember didnt show much.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site

Colby Cave already signed with Bruins.

http://bruins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=761863

Tyrell Goulbourne already signed with Flyers.

http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=756399

Axel Blomqvist already signed with Jets.

http://jets.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=685083

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Tanner Eberle didn't even hit a PPG as an undersized overager. Don't think he has pro potential.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

1. Subban
2/3 Petry/Markov
4. Reilly
5/6 Emelin/Beaulieu
7 Pateryn
8 Tinordi

Maybe at the end of the year, but I don't see Reilly coming in any playing top 4 to begin the year unless he had a monster camp.

Would be great to add him, unfortunately I think a weaker team will promise him an NHL spot to get him to sign.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
If Chicago is indeed interested in Reilly, then we have pretty much no shot at getting him.

It was a longshot to begin with.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
A LH d-man would probably chose Montreal over Chicago with Keith and Hjalmarsson.

Hjalmarsson plays on the right side with Oduya currently. Chicago's left flank is not as strong as their right side, especially in terms of prospects.

Oduya will most likely be gone in a year or two. Timmonen is gone.

If I were Reilly, I think it would be easier for me to beat out Oduya than Beaulieu for ice time in the future. But you're right though, Keith/Hjalmarsson are better quality than Markov/Emelin.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Hjalmarsson plays on the right side with Oduya currently. Chicago's left flank is not as strong as their right side, especially in terms of prospects.

Oduya will most likely be gone in a year or two. Timmonen is gone.

If I were Reilly, I think it would be easier for me to beat out Oduya than Beaulieu for ice time in the future. But you're right though, Keith/Hjalmarsson are better quality than Markov/Emelin.

I'm sure they'd rather have HJalmarsson play LH side, Oduya is probably leaving as a UFA.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad