GDT: UFC Fight Night: Dillashaw vs. Cruz

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
200px-Dillashaw_Cruz_pre_sale.jpg

Date: January 17, 2016
Venue: TD Garden
City: Boston, Massachusetts
Time: 10pm ET/7pm PT
Viewing: Fox Sports 1, TSN 5

MAIN CARD (Fox Sports 1, TSN 5)

Bantamweight Championship bout: T.J. Dillashaw (c) vs. Dominick Cruz
Lightweight bout: Anthony Pettis vs. Eddie Alvarez
Heavyweight bout: Travis Browne vs. Matt Mitrione
Lightweight bout: Ross Pearson vs. Francisco Trinaldo

PRELIMINARY CARD (Fox Sports 1, Fight Network)

Welterweight bout: Patrick Cote vs. Ben Saunders
Lightweight bout: Mairbek Taisumov vs. Chris Wade
Light Heavyweight bout: Tim Boetsch vs. Ed Herman
Featherweight bout: Maximo Blanco vs. Luke Sanders

PRELIMINARY CARD (UFC Fight Pass)

Lightweight bout: Paul Felder vs. Daron Cruickshank
Light Heavyweight bout: Ilir Latifi vs. Sean O'Connell
Featherweight bout: Charles Rosa vs. Jimy Hettes
Bantamweight bout: Rob Font vs. Joey Gomez
Light Heavyweight bout: Francimar Barroso vs. Abdul-Kerim Edilov

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Cruz is has been winning the talking game, but Dillashaw is likely going to kill him. Dillashaw's movement is just more offensively potent, more balanced and way more energy efficient than Cruz's (while his is more unpredictable)

Glad to see Rob Font back

Don't think Alvarez has much chance in that one

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Yeah, some really good fights on this card.

Dillashaw/Cruz is one of my most anticipated fights of the year so I'm glad it's finally happening. Hopefully Cruz is as close to 100% as possible and isn't too rusty.

Oct 15, 2008
One card and you need three different channels to watch it all. Way to go ufc. Well done. Won't encourage illegal streaming at all.

Oct 15, 2008
One fight for Cruz in the last 5yrs? I don't see how he has a chance here. He may get injured in the walkout.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Sun Belt
One fight for Cruz in the last 5yrs? I don't see how he has a chance here. He may get injured in the walkout.
Yeah, I don't ... who knows what the main event is going to be.
Don't think Alvarez has much chance in that one
I think you'd be surprised. Pettis beats Alvarez in points fighting, but even if Pettis keeps it standing, Alvarez throws heat. Is Pettis's striking really any better than Cowboy's?

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Thank you FOX for putting this on Sunday night.

And at 7pm PST to boot. Playoff football and Habs/Hawks all before the main card starts. I'm making sure my favourite sweat pants are ready. :laugh:

Last edited:

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
Not a fan of Sunday shows and the main card starts at 11 pm local time in Eastern Canada. I will probably just watch the fights the next night and try to avoid spoilers.

jw2

Jun 13, 2012
Boston
Good card. Really hoping Cruz is Cruz. Will make for a great fight. Pulling for the guy. Grew to be a big fan at the end of the wec, and like him as a commentator, too. Plus I can't stand TJ.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I think Cruz knows exactly what he's doing with the trash talking. It's part of the game plan, Dillashaw's seemingly only weakness right now, is the fact that he gets carried away, he gets emotional and slips into spots where he just stands and bangs instead of using his footwork. Cruz wants him mad and wants him off his game. Gonna be a damn good fight.

Being a big Alvarez fan, it pains me to say I have a hard time seeing him win this fight. He's going to have to back Pettis up while avoiding and checking any kicks. Pettis is too fast, to good and too long to play around mid range and bang. Just hoping for a good fight.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Probably to avoid going head to head with the NFL. Packers/Cardinals is on Saturday night but there's no late game on Sunday.
Right, that makes sense. I was thinking the football game would be over by then. Too bad they wouldn't start it earlier on Sunday. Most of North America will be going to sleep when it starts.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Cruz is doing a little too much talking (unless it's just to sell the fight). I have a feeling he's gonna regret that. Ring rust is a very real thing.

I can't believe Browne's only -150 against Mitrione. His resume is far better and he also has much better wins. I don't see Mitrione posing any problems for him.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Cruz is doing a little too much talking (unless it's just to sell the fight). I have a feeling he's gonna regret that. Ring rust is a very real thing.

I can't believe Browne's only -150 against Mitrione. His resume is far better and he also has much better wins. I don't see Mitrione posing any problems for him.

There's few factors why you'd pick Mitrione:
1) Edmond Tarverdyan teaching Browne how to strike
2) Mitrione got good hands
3) This is goddamn heavyweights and the winner will be the one who offers the best sacrifice to the MMA Gods

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
^^^ No doubt Mitrione has power and a chin, but every time he's faced a high caliber HW he's gotten smoked. Unless you consider Gonzaga upper echelon (but Browne also smoked him). Browne went 5 with Werdum, crushed Barnett, and beat Reem. Those guys would all finish Mitrione inside a round IMO.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
^^^ No doubt Mitrione has power and a chin, but every time he's faced a high caliber HW he's gotten smoked. Unless you consider Gonzaga upper echelon (but Browne also smoked him). Browne went 5 with Werdum, crushed Barnett, and beat Reem. Those guys would all finish Mitrione inside a round IMO.

logic simply does not work too well at heavyweight.

plus, In hindsight, Browne killed Barnett by defending takedowns with elbows, killed Gonzaga by defending takedowns with elbows, was getting murdered by Reem until Reem got too tired to thrash him (fight could totally have been stopped in favor to Reem).

It's not like Browne has shown he's a good enough striker that he can consistently beat other "good" (by HW standard of good) strikers on an open space striking battle.

Mitrione has a shot as he doesn't freaking shoot for takedowns or gas like Overeem

Last edited:

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad