GDT: UFA Frenzy 2024 - We're ALL Gonna Die

Status
Not open for further replies.

kickback256

May 1, 2024
Utah
Perhaps he's untouchable in Utah's mind, but I still like a Lawson Crouse plus for Necas....and maybe an add as well.
I think it’s much less that he’s untouchable, and much more that their GM really doesn’t want to break from the core he’s building AND end up paying more. Yeah, they’ve got lots of cap room left, but he’s pretty protective of it. I can’t see UHC being interested in Marner or Necas.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Necas isn't happy playing the role he is because he feels like he could be more productive elsewhere. And he's probably right. And any other player of similar mold is going to feel the same way. Because Rod wants his forwards to be defensively-responsible first and worry about scoring/points second.

Guys like Marner, Ehlers, Necas, Skinner, etc. are great complimentary guys to have because they'll score goals and they'll do it in bunches. But that's ALL they do. And in today's game, and especially in Rod's system, you can't be a one-trick pony.
You haven't watched Marner much if you think that's ALL he does and is a 1 trick pony.
1) He's AVERAGING 104 points / 82 games his last 3 years combined.
2) He's a way better playmaker than goal scorer, and he's a good goal scorer.
3) He's actually good defensively. He kills penalties as well.
4) His last 3 seasons in the playoffs, he's averaged a PPG. (granted, limited sample).

Of course he has some warts as well. He's more of a perimeter player, he's paid more and he's a UFA in a year, etc..., but to put Marner in the same category as Skinner or even Necas is misrepresenting just how good and skilled he is.

He's as good, if not better than Aho.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Is he though? His Selke finalist selection was based on a huge amount of takeaways (hello, Jeff Skinner) and he wasn't even one of his teams first unit PK forwards that year. Toronto got absolutely caved on the kill when he was on the ice compared to say how we did with the Aho-Turbo pairing up front IIRC.
Yes, he is.

Needs to have the right perspective.

Aho played with TT, Slavin, Burns, Pesce and Skjei on the PK
Marner played with Kampf, Brodie, McCabe, Giordano and Benoit on the PK.

Significantly different talent defensive. Brodie and Giordano were shells of their former selves last year. McCabe is decent, but not at the same level as Slavin, Pesce or Skjei

Last edited:
Reactions: A Star is Burns

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.

If this is true, this is the second team Necas has nixed and killed a possible trade to.

He wants an opportunity at center, he wants a team that wants his brand of pond hockey, he wants a team willing to pay him? What else does he want, a cup contender whose arena is on a beach? Well, newsflash for Martin, but no competitive team in a glorious climate is going to be willing to offer all three of those three things. If you want out, take what's f***ing offered.

At this point we should sign him to the arbitration award and stick him in the pressbox until he's willing to deal.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I blame him for basically saying "Trade me" and then when we find takers, he says "No, not there." That's bush league.
100% disagree.

The GM's and owners can trade guys wherever they want, whenever they want unless a player has NMC/NTC protection and nobody bats an eye. "It's just business".

Yet when a player uses the little leverage they have to do what's best for them, fans call it bush league or call them selfish.

I don't blame Necas at all here. He's not saying "no, not there." He's saying "Why should I sign a long term deal after coming off a poor season with a team I've never played for?" I would do the same thing if I was in his shoes.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
He wants an opportunity at center, he wants a team that wants his brand of pond hockey, he wants a team willing to pay him? What else does he want, a cup contender whose arena is on a beach? Well, newsflash for Martin, but no competitive team in a glorious climate is going to be willing to offer all three of those three things. If you want out, take what's f***ing offered.

At this point we should sign him to the arbitration award and stick him in the pressbox until he's willing to deal.
Isn't his gf some sort of aspiring musician and TikTok influencer? I'm pretty sure it's probably a desire to be in NYC or LA.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

I agree with half of this.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
It's true he wants more opportunity, but the rest of what you wrote is made up. He doesn't have to "take" anything and the team can trade him wherever they want to. He can't stop it. He just doesn't have to sign a long term deal right now. It's the only leverage he has so why not use it.

Of course the Canes can sign him to the arb award and keep him in the press box, but that's not going to help the team.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
100% disagree.

The GM's and owners can trade guys wherever they want, whenever they want unless a player has NMC/NTC protection and nobody bats an eye. "It's just business".

Yet when a player uses the little leverage they have to do what's best for them, fans call it bush league or call them selfish.

I don't blame Necas at all here. He's not saying "no, not there." He's saying "Why should I sign a long term deal after coming off a poor season with a team I've never played for?" I would do the same thing if I was in his shoes.

Any team that's going to acquire him is going to try and get him to sign a long term deal. Because no one's going to trade for him and risk him leaving shortly afterwards.

So his options are: Be traded and accept signing with a different team, or don't be traded and play out the rest of your contract with Carolina. There's no middle ground for him.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Any team that's going to acquire him is going to try and get him to sign a long term deal. Because no one's going to trade for him and risk him leaving shortly afterwards.

So his options are: Be traded and accept signing with a different team, or don't be traded and play out the rest of your contract with Carolina. There's no middle ground for him.
Maybe, or maybe the Canes realize his market is a player with 2 years on the contract and trade him as such. That does happen you know. Not every player signs an extension with a trade to a team. We as Canes fan should know that all too well.

It's a bit ironic is one team that would definitely trade for him without an extension in place is the team he currently plays for.

Canes have 3 options.
1) Work to find a team he'd accept an extension with, so as to maximize the return.
2) Just accept the ARB ruling and keep him, knowing he'll likely be gone in 2 years max.
3) Accept a trade for lesser value that doesn't include an extension.

Last edited:

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
We certainly don't have all the info. I do wish Necas would be more willing to play ball with teams that are showing they want him. Especially since he supposedly wants out. But they could be low balling him for all we know. And at the end of the day, I'm not sure I'd want to be in Columbus or Winnipeg long term even if they are giving me an opportunity I want. It's tough, but he's using the leverage he has in the situation.

This newest rumor could certainly be BS as well. That Jarvis deal sure hasn't come through yet.

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Maybe, or maybe the Canes realize his market is a player with 2 years on the contract and trade him as such. That does happen you know. Not every player signs an extension with a trade to a team. We as Canes fan should know that all too well.

It's a bit ironic is one team that would definitely trade for him without an extension in place is the team he currently plays for.

But Necas also knows the team is going to try and get the best value they can for him, and trading him without that extension in place is FAR less value than with one, to the point where they likely wouldn't trade him at all.

So again, it all comes down to how much he wants to be traded. If he wants out, he needs to play ball.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
But Necas also knows the team is going to try and get the best value they can for him, and trading him without that extension in place is FAR less value than with one, to the point where they likely wouldn't trade him at all.

So again, it all comes down to how much he wants to be traded. If he wants out, he needs to play ball.
No, it all comes down to the Canes having 3 options.
1) Work to find a team he'd accept an extension with, so as to maximize the return.
2) Just accept the ARB ruling and keep him, knowing he'll likely be gone in 2 years max and focus on trading him at a later date.

Necas holds only 1 card here. Signing an extension or not signing an extension. If he wants out badly enough, he may do it, but he doesn't have to, nor is it "bush league" for him not to do it.

The Canes hold ALL the other cards. They hold his rights. They can trade him to any team without his say. They can accept the ARB ruling. They can play him on whatever line they choose should they keep him. etc..

The bashing of players on HF because they want a trade and use whatever leverage they have to get what's best for them is strange. I guess it's because we feel jilted as a fan that a player wants to leave our team.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
No, it all comes down to the Canes having 3 options.
2) Just accept the ARB ruling and keep him, knowing he'll likely be gone in 2 years max and focus on trading him at a later date.

Necas holds only 1 card here. Signing an extension or not signing an extension. If he wants out badly enough, he may do it, but he doesn't have to, nor is it "bush league" for him not to do it.

The Canes hold ALL the other cards. They hold his rights. They can trade him to any team without his say. They can accept the ARB ruling. They can play him on whatever line they choose should they keep him. etc..

The bashing of players on HF because they want a trade and use whatever leverage they have to get what's best for them is strange. I guess it's because we feel jilted as a fan that a player wants to leave our team.
Necas is the one who won't do what the coach asks him to do and is demanding a trade because he doesn't like accountability. But when the Canes try to accommodate that, he refuses to play ball.

Sorry, but he's being a total turd here. He's already using the leverage he has to get something he wants, which is a chance with a team that wants him warts and all and is willing to pay him. But you can't get everything you want in every deal unless you're McDavid. You have to pick what's important to you. The Canes are trying to get Necas everything he says is important to him- a fresh start, an opportunity at C, a big money deal. But he's saying no because those teams aren't good enough, or are in a bad city, or, or, or.

My way or the highway doesn't cut it. If you want out when you're an RFA, the team has some power, and you have to work with them. You have to negotiate rather than demand. But it's a negotiation, and the Canes have the power to say no. So if he refuses to play ball, that's exactly what they should do.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath

Cup contender… uptempo hockey… warm and close to a beach… if only there was some team he was familiar with that fit this description

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Necas is the one who won't do what the coach asks him to do and is demanding a trade. But when the Canes try to accommodate that, he refuses to play ball.
Disagree. He went from playing with Svech, Aho, and KK last year to playing with the corpse of KK, Drury and Bunting this year. He also got less PP time.

He's upset about the opportunity. I'm not saying it's warranted, as Jarvis beat him out of the spot, but I at least understand it.
Sorry, but he's being a total turd here.
LOL. Sorry,. No. He's not. He's doing what he feels is best for him. He's doing what any one of us would do in our own careers. Look out for ourselves and not worry about the company we work for.
He's already using the leverage he has to get something he wants, which is a chance with a team that wants him warts and all and is willing to pay him.
How do you know what he wants? How do you know what those teams are willing to pay? You are making a ton of assumptions here. From what we've heard, it's been said that he wants to go to place where he gets more opportunities. There's been no mention about money, how much other teams have offered, etc..
But you can't get everything you want in every deal unless you're McDavid. You have to pick what's important to you. The Canes are trying to get Necas everything he says is important to him- a fresh start, an opportunity at C, a big money deal. But he's saying no because those teams aren't good enough, or are in a bad city, or, or, or.
Nonsense. if he signs a long term extension, he's committing to the next 7? years of his life and prime playing age. The Canes are asking him to sign away the next "7?" years so they can get a better return? He's doing what he thinks is best for him. That's not being a "turd". If he doesn't look out for himself, nobody will.
My way or the highway doesn't cut it. If you want out when you're an RFA, the team has some power, and you have to work with them. You have to negotiate rather than demand.
Actually, he doesn't. He can say I want a trade and am not signing an extension. The team can then decide how they want to proceed.
But it's a negotiation, and the Canes have the power to say no. So if he refuses to play ball, that's exactly what they should do.Again, you are reading a lot into a tweet.
Correct. Canes have the power. They can decide on which of the 3 options I listed above makes the most sense for the team. He has 1 card, they have the rest.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Disagree. He went from playing with Svech, Aho, and KK last year to playing with the corpse of KK, Drury and Bunting this year. He also got less PP time.

He's upset about the opportunity. I'm not saying it's warranted, as Jarvis beat him out of the spot.
Jarvis beat him out because he refused to do the things Rod wants players to do, and Jarvis did.

LOL. Sorry,. No. He's not. He's doing what he feels is best for him. He's doing what any one of us would do in our own careers. Look out for ourselves and not worry about the company we work for.
In order for him to *get* what he thinks is best for him, he NEEDS the cooperation of the team. The team's cooperation is not remotely optional here. To look out for himself he needs to work *with* the team, and the team is willing do do that. He is not. He's being a turd.

Actually, he doesn't. He can say I want a trade and am not signing an extension. The team can then decide how they want to proceed.
And the team can say no and then wreck his career. If he's not willing to work with the team, whose cooperation he absolutely needs unless he wants to sit out with no pay for 2 years, then there are severe consequences. If he wants a fresh start somewhere, he needs to work *with* the team.

Such nonsense. if he signs a long term extension, he's committing to the next 7? years of his life and prime playing age. The Canes are asking him to sign away the next "7?" years so they can get a better return? He's doing what he thinks is best for him. That's not being a "turd". If he doesn't look out for himself, nobody will.
He wants big money. He thinks he's worth a big money deal. So the team finds not just one, but two teams willing to give him one, and he says no. He's being a turd.

Correct. Canes have the power. They can decide on which of the 3 options I listed above makes the most sense for the team.
And the only option that gets Necas anything remotely close to the situation he wants is the one where he works *with* the team to make a deal. If he works against the team he's going to wind up on the 4th line or press box and the damage from that will damage him and his earnings for the next 4-5 years of his career.

You can be an asswipe and refuse to work with people, and hold out for absolutely perfect, which is what Necas is doing. And even when you're within your formal rights, that often rebounds on you and you get nothing. And that's the path he's on right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad