GWT: UCL R16 First Legs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There's no tactic/approach that works every time. If the game ended sixty seconds earlier, it's a master stroke. Leave alone, approach aside, they played very poorly.
It’s never a master stroke. If Messi sinks a penalty kick they still lose. They took the air out of their team and they were burnt. We literally saw this happen. I don’t know how any manager in a competitive game especially would see that and think trying to 0-0 was a good idea

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
It’s never a master stroke. If Messi sinks a penalty kick they still lose. They took the air out of their team and they were burnt. We literally saw this happen. I don’t know how any manager in a competitive game especially would see that and think trying to 0-0 was a good idea
You're completely divorcing the tactics from the actual play on the pitch, as if tactics alone are the sole determinant of the outcome, and that's just wacky. Madrid still had to play the game and they played poorly. Even if they were a Messi PK away from a draw, they could reasonably conclude that without the mental errors they'd have achieved their objective, the exact same way a manager could set up to attack and lose with poor execution and individual mistakes.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You're completely divorcing the tactics from the actual play on the pitch, as if tactics alone are the sole determinant of the outcome, and that's just wacky. Madrid still had to play the game and they played poorly. Even if they were a Messi PK away from a draw, they could reasonably conclude that without the mental errors they'd have achieved their objective, the exact same way a manager could set up to attack and lose with poor execution and individual mistakes.
I mean we can talk about what might have happened, but we saw what actually happened in reality. It’s not an exact science but Madrid’s tactics more or less gave Madrid, at the minimum, a 45 minute head start. And these were relatively evenly match teams, especially compared to some of the other matchups. If people are saying that no away goals is bad because of what happened in this game, I would say that the evidence of what actually shows the opposite. Ancelotti got it completely wrong by trying to game the no away goal thing and now he is also without at least two of his starting XI players next leg.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I mean we can talk about what might have happened, but we saw what actually happened in reality. It’s not an exact science but Madrid’s tactics more or less gave Madrid, at the minimum, a 45 minute head start. And these were relatively evenly match teams, especially compared to some of the other matchups. If people are saying that no away goals is bad because of what happened in this game, I would say that the evidence of what actually shows the opposite. Ancelotti got it completely wrong by trying to game the no away goal thing and now he is also without at least two of his starting XI players next leg.
We did see what happened...they played/executed badly? *shrug*

We're not on the same wavelength here, that's okay.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

This is Probably LFC’s best XI besides Matip instead of Konate.

I would have played Konate against Burnley and Matip today, but what do I know?

Can’t remember the last time LFC had that much quality on the bench

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
We did see what happened...they played/executed badly? *shrug*

We're not on the same wavelength here, that's okay.
It’s all good. But when you play for 0-0 it’s a very small margin for error, and my problem is that Madrid x PSG isn’t a mismatch. Madrid did not have to go for 0-0. Madrid is good enough to beat PSG. What they did, poor execution or not, dramatically decreased Madrid’s chances to advance to the next round. This was not David vs Goliath with David bunkering down. This was Ancelotti and Madrid trying to outsmart everyone and failing. If Madrid was significantly worse than PSG, maybe? But that wasn’t the case here.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I think it was the case. Madrid also failed because they played deep to avoid Mbappe's speed and couldn't get out of their half because of the quality of the pressing.
It was obvious Real played for a 0-0 draw and almost got it.
Ancelotti simply thought he'd take his chance at having this tie decided at Bernabeu over 90 minutes without risking any away goals killing his team.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't think it's much of a claim indeed. The D is better by a wide margin (both in CD and WB), the forwards too. And people continue to underrate Verratti. Poch did well with his use of Paredes and especially Danilo. The only area where Madrid was supposed to be better is midfield and coaching. Turns out Poch did very well and won the midfield battle.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I love Firmino but Jota is far more dangerous with the ball. The Inter D are shitting themselves when he has it.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Calhanoglu sucks but he can get cheap goals like that. Same as Ziyech

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad