GWT: UCL R16 First Legs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is anyone on here a fan of the removal of the away goals rule
They may not be speaking up now, but there was definitely a contingent of them
I am a fan. Not everyone likes my opinion though. Which is fine. I don’t think Yesterday isn’t exactly a the feather in the cap for the pro-away goal crowd either. City scored 5 and Madrid got burned for lousy tactics.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
City-Sporting isn't really the benchmark for that rule, though. Much more instructive was Madrid going to Paris and rolling over.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Did they roll over?

I saw a team who knew they were somewhat outmatched, attempting to get through the first leg, knowing that on the second, Benzema will be more fit, and they will be at home with a lot more to play for. I think they had hope to see something work with Vinicius Jr out on the flank, and maybe something come off with a lucky free kick. But it looked more like a typical damage mitigation to me. They got quite lucky with the poor penalty by Messi, but were basically what? 2 minutes? From pulling it off?

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Knowing Ancelotti and this year's version of Real they'd have probably played the same even with the old rules.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
City-Sporting isn't really the benchmark for that rule, though. Much more instructive was Madrid going to Paris and rolling over.
I don’t necessarily agree. I think one is far on one side of the spectrum and one is far on the other side of the spectrum. It balances out.

And this is just the first of the first legs. How the second legs play out was always going to be more telling.

I think the lesson from PSG x Madrid is that Madrid has egg on their face because it backfired for them. The fact that they didn’t try (especially in the first half) burned them. Maybe teams won’t try to 0-0 now. That’s the lesson

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Did they roll over?

I saw a team who knew they were somewhat outmatched, attempting to get through the first leg, knowing that on the second, Benzema will be more fit, and they will be at home with a lot more to play for. I think they had hope to see something work with Vinicius Jr out on the flank, and maybe something come off with a lucky free kick. But it looked more like a typical damage mitigation to me. They got quite lucky with the poor penalty by Messi, but were basically what? 2 minutes? From pulling it off?
Even in the scenario you outlined, which I don't really agree with, that speaks to exactly what I'm saying.

They came for a nil-nil knowing the away goal had no value and they'd rather take their shot at home, whatever their thought process.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Even in the scenario you outlined, which I don't really agree with, that speaks to exactly what I'm saying.

They came for a nil-nil knowing the away goal had no value and they'd rather take their shot at home, whatever their thought process.
But it was proved to be a bad idea/bad tactics. It blew up in their face

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
But it was proved to be a bad idea/bad tactics. It blew up in their face
There's no tactic/approach that works every time. If the game ended sixty seconds earlier, it's a master stroke. Leave alone, approach aside, they played very poorly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad