U17 World Hockey Challenge

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Goodman68

Jul 11, 2016
Amazing revival after the US smashing ... thats the kind of mental maturity we want to see from our youth players.

Anyone found out why Frolo didnt play today?
This is not mental revival. This is Goodman's realization of what he can and cannot do.
:facepalm:

We now leave north america and fight Europe... Finland and Sweden. Curious how we compete with them. A close win or a 12-0 loss? No idea.
I have no idea, just one certainty:(

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Dang, Canada Red came in undefeated right?

What is the format in this thing?
As far as I can tell...

6 team round robin
Top 2 teams go to semi
Bottom 4 are the two quarterfinal games
Normal semis
Gold and bronze match

Looks pretty wide open right now with US as the team to beat.

Kids though and things chance quickly.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Anyone noticed how crazy the stats updates are at hockeycanada's U17 World Challenge website?
Players awarded/stripped of points several days later. Noticed that Filip Ekberg was at 0 points after two games and now all of a sudden 3 assists, lol.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Anyone noticed how crazy the stats updates are at hockeycanada's U17 World Challenge website?
Players awarded/stripped of points several days later. Noticed that Filip Ekberg was at 0 points after two games and now all of a sudden 3 assists, lol.
You keep.complaininy and the tournament will be more expensive next year.lol

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Pretty tight game between Swe - Can White after two periods. Sweden maybe slightly better.
Klingsell and Stenberg looking good together. Some fine chemistry. Also think Ekberg is having his best game, although he cannot seem to find the net.

Aron Dahlqvist scored a nice goal, but I see him doing quite a bit of mistakes. There have to be better defensemen left at home.

Matthew Schaefer very noticeable for the Canadian team. Surprised to see he only has one point in the OHL this season. Looks like the best D on the ice IMO

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
As far as I can tell...

6 team round robin
Top 2 teams go to semi
Bottom 4 are the two quarterfinal games
Normal semis
Gold and bronze match

Looks pretty wide open right now with US as the team to beat.

Kids though and things chance quickly.
Wide open for silver...

USA is a machine, they had Czech 10-1 after 2 and held them to 11 shots. I was at the game, it looked like an NHL team playing an ahl team.

Czech has beaten Canada red and lost in a shootout to Canada white, they aren't a weak team.

USA is not only a powerhouse of talent but they send a team that lives together all year and learns to play on specific lines with a system. The other teams are basically thrown together last minute and most players haven't played together aside from a short summer camp.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
So, Canada White defeats Sweden 4-3 in OT. A game that Sweden probably should have won with a pretty considerable margin. They had so many quality scoring chances which they could not capitalize on. And PP still kind of sucks.

Ivar Stenberg probably the top Swede today along with maybe Viktor Klingsell.

martygod12

Oct 27, 2019
Its completely ridiculous how there Is 6 teams on this tourney and 5 of them are currently having a negative gf/ga balance :D

Last edited:

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1699198711588.png

Day off today. Here are the standings after 3 games. If U17 hockey has taught me anything it is that it is wild and unpredictable and this all means nothing. Only real takeaway may be that the US are killing it.

My understanding is that top 2 get a bye to Semi's.

Czechs now have the 2 Euro nations coming up. Curious how it goes. We are a minnow at this tourney with the occasional quarter upset. Our best round robin point total is 6 and we are at 5. Curious if we break that record.

Also curious why our best players are on line 3 and not playing in games? Do they rejig it for the Quarter final match? Or am I to believe Adam Benak is a bottom 6 prospect?

Reactions: jj cale

hockeyprospects9

Feb 10, 2023
Sweden
Why is no assist awarded on Sweden’s 2-1 goal against Canada White?…

Or will it be corrected by Tuesday :thumbu:

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I've got to stop coming into this thread to see what's going on, every time I do so it's just more bad news, lol

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
US is in whole different universe...
The impact of playing together as a team all year is immeasurable. Chemistry and systems can sometimes overcome pure talent, and talent can overcome chemistry/systems. Put all three together, plus no Russia, and you get a juggernaut like the USA at recent U-17 and U-18 tournaments.

Canada still sending more than one team is also asinine. I understand Hockey Canada uses it as a development tool to introduce more players to the international game, but there is really no precedent for this elsewhere. Other nations get along just fine sending one team, and I doubt these players will learn much getting blow out by the USA.

Last edited:
Reactions: wetcoast

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
The impact of playing together as a team all year is immeasurable. Chemistry and systems can sometimes overcome pure talent, and talent can overcome chemistry/systems. Put all three together, plus no Russia, and you get a juggernaut like the USA at recent U-17 and U-18 tournaments.

Canada still sending more than one team is also asinine. I understand Hockey Canada uses it as a development tool to introduce more players to the international game, but there is really no precedent for this elsewhere. Other nations get along just fine sending one team, and I doubt these players will learn much getting blow out by the USA.
Historically they’d sent five. It was less about winning and more about getting players on the radar for the program of excellence thing. That being said, it also made a bit more sense when there were regional based teams as opposed to Canada “White” or “Red” as there was a more common thread binding.

For what it’s worth, USA only won it one out of the six times before the pandemic. It’s pretty early on in the USNDTP cycle so they aren’t a full fledged machine yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad