U17 World Hockey Challenge

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Historically they’d sent five. It was less about winning and more about getting players on the radar for the program of excellence thing. That being said, it also made a bit more sense when there were regional based teams as opposed to Canada “White” or “Red” as there was a more common thread binding.

For what it’s worth, USA only won it one out of the six times before the pandemic. It’s pretty early on in the USNDTP cycle so they aren’t a full fledged machine yet.
I know that, and it was just as silly then. No other nation needs to do this in 2023 when there is much more parity. Why Canada?

Also, I understand its early, but 3 months of practicing, playing together and instilling systems is miles ahead of what you'll find on the other participating teams.

Last edited:

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I know that, and it was just as silly then. No other nation needs to do this in 2023 when there is much more parity. Why Canada?
Well this a Hockey Canada event so they get to pick if they want to give themselves unique treatment. It would help USA out a lot for the next Hlinka and just putting kids on the radar earlier if they were sending a second team of non USNDTP kids, although that team wouldn’t do well at this event.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018

Benak still a 3C? Got Frolo back so that is good. Not sure which goalie is better.

If we win and Canada White loses then we get the bye.

Why do I want the bye? Because it would guarantee I see them play on TSN on Saturday.lol

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
1699289074987.png
'

I guess our goalie is doing well. We played 2 guys agains the US and their stats are almost cartoonish.lol

1699289135085.png

Looks to be 0-0 after 1 period against Finland.

StevenEllisNHL

Nov 29, 2014
Special teams are hurting Czechs here. Getting good goaltending again, but getting outscored 2-0 on the PP - when the Czechs had more chances - was rough.

Reactions: Goodman68

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Sweden certainly outplayed Canada in the first period. Wow. Reschny-McKenna were the only ones able to create some offensive, really. Sweden probably could have scored 3-4 more goals in this period. Ivar Stenberg is everywhere and, slightly surprising, the best Swede in this tournament so far.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I have no issues losing to Finland as they have been better than us for awhile now. The loss really screwed are quarterfinal btw chances though. Sweden tomorrow and that is a damn good Swedish team

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
A bit amazed that despite leading with a huge score, Sweden still tends to take stupid penalties. William Morin and Torkel Jennersjö try to hit everything they see and certainly have some dirty tricks up their sleeves. They have to be smarter though.

Canada Red's defense is certainly not impressive. Tough losing two of their top players to injury as well

EDIT: Reschny recovered and is back playing. And scores immediately :)

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeyprospects9

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Forsberg not having the best of games. Wow.
Sörqvist replacing. Good call.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Lol, Sweden trying their best to allow Canada Red to close the gap... continuing with these penalties. Sigh. Been that way all tournament.

But pretty entertaining period with bunch of quality scoring chances both ways

Gavin McKenna and Cole Reschny are damn good hockey players.

Reactions: hockeyprospects9

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Kind of a crazy game. Sweden's brilliant first period was the key to the win. Ivan Stenberg with four goals and honestly should have had 6 goals.. being robbed twice by Gravelle.

Filip Ekberg still having problems finding the net, but he had two fine assists. Thought Frondell played a good two-way game.

I have complained about Melvin Novotny's efforts earlier. He was more noticeable today and worked pretty hard. Should have scored a goal or two as well.

He is still pretty small, but I like Hugo Hallin's game on the man advantage. Very slick and mobile. Also had a few nice hits in this game. He'll become a quality defenseman in the future, possibly also in the NHL if he grows some more.

Isak Sörqvist was really good when he replaced Forsberg.

on the downside
- PP still kind of sucks, although today they were actually able to set some plays up
- PK not very convincing
- Shaky goaltending from Forsberg
- Some poor decision making among d at times
- too many (stupid) penalties. Undisciplined

Reactions: Eye of Ra

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Swedes out up 8 goals against a Canada... Wow

Looks like US is going to OT against the other canada

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
Swedes and US rising to the top of the standings and looking like likely byes to Semi's.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad