Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Ottawa and shoulders, god damn
As a guy who has had two torn ACLs I can tell you that orthopedic surgery is no picnic. It maybe shouldn't be surprising that a player who has been slow to recover on other injuries has been slow to recover on this one. For some guys it becomes psychological as well - you just don't trust the injured joint anymore, and that is a tough hurdle to overcome.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I heard a rumour out of Belleville that this has nothing to do with his groin - it is the surgically repaired shoulder that is still giving him trouble. This is third hand from someone close to the team, and I'm certainly not vouching for its accuracy, but it would make sense. Two months for a tweaked groin is ridiculous, but a tweaked groin as a cover for a slow recovery from shoulder surgery makes a lot more sense. Eventually they are going to have to come clean on what is ailing him - not sure why they don't just get it over with...

When he was sent to Belleville, the press release at the time said he would be playing in their upcoming preseason game (i.e. he was healthy and his groin "tweak" was fine), so it wouldn't be surprising if it's now some other issue keeping him out.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
When he was sent to Belleville, the press release at the time said he would be playing in their upcoming preseason game (i.e. he was healthy and his groin "tweak" was fine), so it wouldn't be surprising if it's now some other issue keeping him out.
The cone of silence around this is puzzling.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
The cone of silence around this is puzzling.
I would say its highly worrying. Its like this guy doesn't even exist anymore.

I hope it doesn't happen since he seems like a good kid but i wouldn't be shocked if the next update is him stepping away from the game.

Reactions: Cosmix

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
I don't think Boucher was a swing for the fences pick. If anything, I think he was thought to be a safe pick because what he brought to the table ensured he would be a physical bottom 6 forward at the NHL level even if he never panned out as a producer. Even if it was difficult to know how his offensive side had developed due to the lack of sample size, it was evident that his physical side could make him a valuable fixture in the bottom 6 for a playoff team.

If they drafted a few spots higher and took him, my perception might change. It seems like the draft was 8 or so players deep in terms of guys teams could select who were already expected to be there even with the lack of scouting due to COVID.

Of course, if his shoulder is nerfed or he keeps getting hurt, he may never play in the NHL.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
I was fairly high on this pick for a long time but he just hasn't played enough. The years after draft are super important for development and how many games has he even played?
I mean even if he gets healthy, he has missed soooooo much development time, I'm not sure he'll be able to put it all together.
My other worry now is that he is one of those kids who got really strong and that strength gave him a huge advantage over all the other kids in junior that were not gym rats. Then once everyone is strong (AHL, NHL) those advantages disappear and maybe he wasn't that great? I dunno. I was very high on this pick and confident when it happened. Now I'm fairly worried that it won't pan out.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
I was fairly high on this pick for a long time but he just hasn't played enough. The years after draft are super important for development and how many games has he even played?
I mean even if he gets healthy, he has missed soooooo much development time, I'm not sure he'll be able to put it all together.
My other worry now is that he is one of those kids who got really strong and that strength gave him a huge advantage over all the other kids in junior that were not gym rats. Then once everyone is strong (AHL, NHL) those advantages disappear and maybe he wasn't that great? I dunno. I was very high on this pick and confident when it happened. Now I'm fairly worried that it won't pan out.
He wasn’t great even with a strength advantage lol

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
He’s still the type of player we need in our bottom 6. A guy who plays a solid and physical game with some offensive instincts and can jump up in the lineup when needed.

So hopefully for his and our sake he recovers fully and gets it going.

Reactions: Tuna99 and guyzeur

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I heard a rumour out of Belleville that this has nothing to do with his groin - it is the surgically repaired shoulder that is still giving him trouble. This is third hand from someone close to the team, and I'm certainly not vouching for its accuracy, but it would make sense. Two months for a tweaked groin is ridiculous, but a tweaked groin as a cover for a slow recovery from shoulder surgery makes a lot more sense. Eventually they are going to have to come clean on what is ailing him - not sure why they don't just get it over with...

Aren't there league procedures/protocols in place that teams have to disclose injuries at least somewhat accurately? Like upper body, lower body, etc. If they're saying groin when it's upper body...that would be a no-no...right?

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Aren't there league procedures/protocols in place that teams have to disclose injuries at least somewhat accurately? Like upper body, lower body, etc. If they're saying groin when it's upper body...that would be a no-no...right?
He's not on a roster, so maybe those don't apply to Boucher right now.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is one of the most strange situations ever with a prospect/player. I've never heard of or seen a player this prone to injury. Now they don't even talk about him. It's so weird.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I don't think Boucher was a swing for the fences pick. If anything, I think he was thought to be a safe pick because what he brought to the table ensured he would be a physical bottom 6 forward at the NHL level even if he never panned out as a producer.

I do not even list it as a swing for the fences because there was never any indication top 6 upside was there. The mast majority of physical bottom 6 players were scoring stars in junior/USNDP/College such as Wilson, Lucic et al. His offensive production thus far has been very Kastalic or MacEwen like, but at a massive size disadvantage.

And if he was a safe pick, why was he rated so low? Taking into account a lot of reliable draft rankings, he was ranked about 50th. Given how little chance players in that range have of making the NHL, thats hardly the spot for a safe pick. His upside always seemed to be more of a heavier Parker Kelly withless scoring.

I certainly do hold hope he makes it for us (or team for that matter) as a useful player, but at the time there was nothing justifying the pick in any regard (upside or floor), and its just gotten worse as time goes on.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I do not even list it as a swing for the fences because there was never any indication top 6 upside was there. The mast majority of physical bottom 6 players were scoring stars in junior/USNDP/College such as Wilson, Lucic et al. His offensive production thus far has been very Kastalic or MacEwen like, but at a massive size disadvantage.

And if he was a safe pick, why was he rated so low? Taking into account a lot of reliable draft rankings, he was ranked about 50th. Given how little chance players in that range have of making the NHL, thats hardly the spot for a safe pick. His upside always seemed to be more of a heavier Parker Kelly withless scoring.

I certainly do hold hope he makes it for us (or team for that matter) as a useful player, but at the time there was nothing justifying the pick in any regard (upside or floor), and its just gotten worse as time goes on.
Bob McKenzie and his 10 scout rankings, had him 29th.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Bob McKenzie and his 10 scout rankings, had him 29th.
Thats one ranking. And it was only ten data points, so if Ottawa ranked him high it would skew the results.

If you use these quality sources and average it out:

Bob McKenzie (TSN, ranked 96)
Craig Button (TSN, ranked 75)
HockeyProspect (ranked 109)
Corey Pronman (The Athletic, ranked 151)
Scott Wheeler (The Athletic, ranked 100)
Future Considerations (ranked 300)
Chris Peters (Hockey Sense, ranked 100)
EliteProspects.com (ranked 107)
Will Scouch (ranked 101)
Smaht Scouting (ranked 135)
The Draft Analyst (ranked 224)
McKeensHockey.com (ranked 223)
The Hockey News (Ryan Kennedy online rankings, ranked 120)
Draft Prospects (ranked 300)
Dobber Prospects (ranked 100)

You get him 49th.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I don't think Boucher was a swing for the fences pick. If anything, I think he was thought to be a safe pick because what he brought to the table ensured he would be a physical bottom 6 forward at the NHL level even if he never panned out as a producer. Even if it was difficult to know how his offensive side had developed due to the lack of sample size, it was evident that his physical side could make him a valuable fixture in the bottom 6 for a playoff team.

If they drafted a few spots higher and took him, my perception might change. It seems like the draft was 8 or so players deep in terms of guys teams could select who were already expected to be there even with the lack of scouting due to COVID.

Of course, if his shoulder is nerfed or he keeps getting hurt, he may never play in the NHL.

After they took him and were been ripped for the pick, one of the talking points Mann/Dorion fell back on was that the team was all set in the top 6 going forward and that we were going to need quality bottom six players.

Part of that selection was where they were picking. They were picking 10th in a draft that fell off a cliff after the top 9 (Guenther being the last to go at 9OA). But another part is the kinds of prospects Mann/Dorion liked. They loved prospects with high floors. I'm sure they thought Boucher had a high floor as a physical bottom six winger and with potential to be more if everything broke right.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Thats one ranking. And it was only ten data points, so if Ottawa ranked him high it would skew the results.

If you use these quality sources and average it out:

Bob McKenzie (TSN, ranked 96)
Craig Button (TSN, ranked 75)
HockeyProspect (ranked 109)
Corey Pronman (The Athletic, ranked 151)
Scott Wheeler (The Athletic, ranked 100)
Future Considerations (ranked 300)
Chris Peters (Hockey Sense, ranked 100)
EliteProspects.com (ranked 107)
Will Scouch (ranked 101)
Smaht Scouting (ranked 135)
The Draft Analyst (ranked 224)
McKeensHockey.com (ranked 223)
The Hockey News (Ryan Kennedy online rankings, ranked 120)
Draft Prospects (ranked 300)
Dobber Prospects (ranked 100)

You get him 49th.
No idea where you get those rankings numbers, I said McKenzie has him 29th and you replied with 96th.
I checked another one you listed and it was off by 40 something places on the rankings. Checked a third ranking off by 26 spots.

Provide some links as those rankings are wrong. Plus how do you get 49th average , when none of your rankings are as low as 49th.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
He’s still the type of player we need in our bottom 6. A guy who plays a solid and physical game with some offensive instincts and can jump up in the lineup when needed.

So hopefully for his and our sake he recovers fully and gets it going.
I think he left the building. :)

I think those "rules" are not very detailed, rigorous, nor enforced.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
I don't think Boucher was a swing for the fences pick.
It was in that we used a 10th overall pick on a guy with physical upside but who hadn't shown much more than a limited offensive potential.

It was COVID etc. so I'm more than willing to give the scouts and Dorion a break, it wasn't ever not going to be a crapshoot.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
This is one of the most strange situations ever with a prospect/player. I've never heard of or seen a player this prone to injury. Now they don't even talk about him. It's so weird.
It might not be a physical injury that he is dealing with and he might be struggling with the realization that his hockey career is virtually over.

After they took him and were been ripped for the pick, one of the talking points Mann/Dorion fell back on was that the team was all set in the top 6 going forward and that we were going to need quality bottom six players.

Part of that selection was where they were picking. They were picking 10th in a draft that fell off a cliff after the top 9 (Guenther being the last to go at 9OA). But another part is the kinds of prospects Mann/Dorion liked. They loved prospects with high floors. I'm sure they thought Boucher had a high floor as a physical bottom six winger and with potential to be more if everything broke right.
I am happy both Mann and Dorion are now gone!

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
No idea where you get those rankings numbers, I said McKenzie has him 29th and you replied with 96th.
I checked another one you listed and it was off by 40 something places on the rankings. Checked a third ranking off by 26 spots.

Provide some links as those rankings are wrong. Plus how do you get 49th average , when none of your rankings are as low as 49th.

Its the one site thats great for working with all the big names in rankings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad