Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think there is nuance to this as I see a very small minority giving up on him.

Yes, people are disappointed a 10th overall has not shown any promise since he was drafted (call it bad luck, injuries, moving to a completely new country, etc...doesn't really matter). He hasn't moved the needle towards looking like a legit NHL player.

Even his top attributes of a shot and of being physical don't seem like they will translate much into the NHL.

He has a great shot but doesn't score a lot. He hits a fair bit but he isn't a fighter, doesn't play like an agitator and physically, he is pretty average for an NHLer.

Most people seem to be like me. Underwhelmed so far but given he does have some tools, we are willing to wait it out a bit longer to make up our minds. We all hope he finds some magic and becomes a player for us.
Exactly. No reason to applaud yet. Will be great if he gives us one.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Way too many people giving up on Boucher, yes he was a bad pick as #10 but that's crying over spilled milk. What the Sens got is someone who, if he can stay healthy, can at least contribute in the bottom 6. Great shot, good skating, hits, and is a bit dirty a la Matt Cooke. Could be a pest in the making, but he needs to stay healthy first.

I have not given up, I just have very low expectations. Been surprised before and hope I am again.

Reactions: armani

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
Has there been any updates on his recovery since missing training camp? Tough + fast + offensive upside is exactly what this team needs right now. Seems like he has gone AWOL.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Amazing how little this guy has played since being drafted

62 games, including playoffs, what a disaster....

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Time to give up on this bust I think.

We can all hold out some small glimmer of hope in the back of our minds but I think we can turn the lights out for now.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Time to give up on this bust I think.

We can all hold out some small glimmer of hope in the back of our minds but I think we can turn the lights out for now.

Sure looks like he's done. I mean we have him under contract for a couple more years so if he does turn it around it'll likely benefit us. But he's shown nothing that could really make you think he could play a regular shift in the NHL.

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Sure looks like he's done. I mean we have him under contract for a couple more years so if he does turn it around it'll likely benefit us. But he's shown nothing that could really make you think he could play a regular shift in the NHL.
I ran into him at the start of training camp. He seemed up-beat and positive. It was when we expected him to have a couple of days left of recovery from the rookie tournament groin injury. He seemed to think he was about to return to the ice. It can't still be his groin, can it?

SensontheRush

Never said it was Sunshine
Apr 27, 2010
Ottawa
Given our insane (un)luck, it would be so Sens for Boucher to actually turn into a useful NHLer despite all of his hardships so far.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
At this point it is a sunk cost, hard to imagine he has much value.

I'd just be happy to see him play some in Belleville and maybe get a gauge if some skill is translatable to the NHL.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Stop being haters! He just needs a few spa days to get himself on track then look out!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Not every pick works out exactly the way you want, but even if Boucher starts his career on the 4th line and plays NHL games it’ll be important to our depth. Best he becomes a solid 4th liner rather then he busts - so I’m cheering for Boucher to come back and play a healthy AHL/NHL season

dmarc

SENS!!!!!!!
Mar 29, 2009
Not every pick works out exactly the way you want, but even if Boucher starts his career on the 4th line and plays NHL games it’ll be important to our depth. Best he becomes a solid 4th liner rather then he busts - so I’m cheering for Boucher to come back and play a healthy AHL/NHL season
Tell ya what, I can see how TBs skills translate to an NHL career, but he literally can't stay healthy, I'd love for him to come back healthy but I just can't see it at this pt. Its insane that the most minor tweak ever has already turned into a 2+ month injury. Wild

Speatleysson

Jul 2, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
He doesn't have offensive upside, he has never produced offensively anywhere, he's not going to start in the NHL
I hear you out, and maybe you've seen him play live too, but when I've watched him live, he looked really good in the offensive zone. It never translated to the scoresheet because he never played many games unfortunately. He is one hell of a passer and he hits like a truck.

Reactions: dumbdick

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
Bait other teams to trade for him while there still some optimism that he'll be a player in the league.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Bigger bust: Logan Brown or Tyler Boucher?

I would argue Brown was the bigger bust. Brown had potential. He could've been something if he had worked for it. Boucher never had it. It was just an astonishingly bad pick by Dorion and company.

Reactions: Alex1234

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Worst top-10 pick in at least 10 years. Thanks Pierre.

2 years in, it was already quite obvious that 40th OA compensatory pick would've been preferable, but he doubled down.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Bigger bust: Logan Brown or Tyler Boucher?

I would argue Brown was the bigger bust. Brown had potential. He could've been something if he had worked for it. Boucher never had it. It was just an astonishingly bad pick by Dorion and company.
Brown always was that type of player who was risky. Bigger slow guys, some learn to adapt (Tage Thompson) and some do not. He always had a high ceiling, low floor, so fact he made the floor is just not surprising, just disappointing.

Boucher I'd not calla bust because his trajectory as a player so far is much more indicative of where he should have been drafted, not where he was drafted. If he was a late second early third we'd all be much more patient and appreciative I think.

Big guys are tough, they can get by on their size, and the lesser the league the more prevelant that is. Its a much easier game when you are 7 inches and 40 pounds heavier than everyone else, and your skating is better than average. Then you get thrown into a league where its a 3 inch and 10 pound advantage and people are faster than you, you have to learn to play a different game. Some manage some do not. but when they manage, you can get a great player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad