Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Not going to have much coming through the system with what essentially amounts to one 2nd round pick (Ostapchuk) from 2021-2023.

Team is full of young players, but won’t have any ELC guys coming into any meaningful role in the next 3/4 years.
Ya that’s true, but we have them on the team now , in DBC and Chychurn.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Ya that’s true, but we have them on the team now , in DBC and Chychurn.

Trading ADB this summer will get us draft capital back - but will may need to take back salary.

The steal deals we see are generally coming from teams who take on money with only picks and no salaries going back the other way.

Wonder if ADB can be traded for what we gave up for him without taking on salary? But trading him will help restock the draft picks

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Hasn't the trend for the last 15+ years been to develop the core most of all? Perhaps another few minutes in the gym to work on the upper body might be worth it for these kids.
wonder also if with the league being a young mans game now and with many younger players in the league now if thats also a difference

some of these guys wouldnt have made it before

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Considering Norris "passed" the tests in order to return despite his shoulder not being strong enough to take faceoffs, I question their judgement.
Shocking I know.
Why is it that high profile US players and a lot from the USDTP seem more affected, Sens players, Hughes, Caufield, Tuch, probably others, or is it just coincidence.

Having said that, shoulder injury is the most common injury in Hockey.

Trading ADB this summer will get us draft capital back - but will may need to take back salary.

The steal deals we see are generally coming from teams who take on money with only picks and no salaries going back the other way.

Wonder if ADB can be traded for what we gave up for him without taking on salary? But trading him will help restock the draft picks
Depends if you want to wait 3-4 years for the pick, or take what you have now, assuming he comes in at a salary that works for the team.

Reactions: Yak

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
From his Draft year to Now Boucher has missed a lot of hockey.
1678316664512.png

Between injuries and suspensions, Boucher has played only 35 regular season and four playoff games with the 67’s in the past 14 months. Also missed time in his DY due to injuries. He did not need any derailment in his development. All this missed time playing and practicing has to take a toll.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
From his Draft year to Now Boucher has missed a lot of hockey.
View attachment 665624

Between injuries and suspensions, Boucher has played only 35 regular season and four playoff games with the 67’s in the past 14 months. Also missed time in his DY due to injuries. He did not need any derailment in his development. All this missed time playing and practicing has to take a toll.
It’s very tough for him.

Had to work on so much, never got going at either the NCAA or CHL level.

Have to wonder if he’d be better off back in the OHL as an overager.

34 points in 49 games in the OHL at 18/19 is unbelievable grim, his 19/20 year old season was better than his 18/19 year old season at the very least.

Reactions: DrEasy

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I would definitely send him back for another year in the OHL.

He's only gotten about a full season worth of games in the last 3 years, and he's been disappointing in most of them.

Too bad we signed him to an ELC already. Would almost rather have a 2nd round pick at this point. Certainly would if he has another terrible year in his draft+3 season.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I would definitely send him back for another year in the OHL.

He's only gotten about a full season worth of games in the last 3 years, and he's been disappointing in most of them.

Too bad we signed him to an ELC already. Would almost rather have a 2nd round pick at this point. Certainly would if he has another terrible year in his draft+3 season.
While from a strict development standpoint absolutely being back in the CHL is best for him. But from a mental standpoint, the damage would be something that at the least would permanently kill his relationship with the Sens. One could argue it would also kill him as a prospect, but in my mind that ship has largely already sailed.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
If we're looking for a happy version of the story, Mike Fisher had injury problems early on, including recurring shoulder injuries. Like Boucher, he was big 6-1 kid who played physical.

Entirely different players.

Not going to have much coming through the system with what essentially amounts to one 2nd round pick (Ostapchuk) from 2021-2023.

Team is full of young players, but won’t have any ELC guys coming into any meaningful role in the next 3/4 years.

Greig?

But yeah after that it gets tight. And even Ostapchuk is not a guaranteed player.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
While from a strict development standpoint absolutely being back in the CHL is best for him. But from a mental standpoint, the damage would be something that at the least would permanently kill his relationship with the Sens. One could argue it would also kill him as a prospect, but in my mind that ship has largely already sailed.

I don't know why he'd feel that way. Getting another season in the OHL would be better for him than playing 4th line minutes in the AHL or higher up the lineup in the ECHL.

He's missed so much time. The equivalent of two full seasons in the last 3 years. Can't imagine he's ready to play and succeed against men when he can't even put up a PPG in the OHL and stay healthy playing against kids his own age.

Reactions: DrEasy and Yak

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
I don't know why he'd feel that way. Getting another season in the OHL would be better for him than playing 4th line minutes in the AHL or higher up the lineup in the ECHL.

He's missed so much time. The equivalent of two full seasons in the last 3 years. Can't imagine he's ready to play and succeed against men when he can't even put up a PPG in the OHL and stay healthy playing against kids his own age.

I absolutely agree with the reasons, but it really what it does to a players mental state. CHL overage players by and large do not make the NHL. Of course there are exceptions, Kastelic being one, but he was also a late bloomer not drafted until he was 20.

If near every player in your graduating class move onto pro hockey next year, and you are held back, its just not good mentally. Even if it is best for you.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
I absolutely agree with the reasons, but it really what it does to a players mental state. CHL overage players by and large do not make the NHL. Of course there are exceptions, Kastelic being one, but he was also a late bloomer not drafted until he was 20.

If near every player in your graduating class move onto pro hockey next year, and you are held back, its just not good mentally. Even if it is best for you.

There are certainly NHL players who have played in the OHL as an OA, but they are almost always late bloomers, and usually picked past their first year of NHL Draft eligibility as well. First round draft picks though? I can't think of one.

I agree with you. It is pretty rare for a player to succeed at the next level if they have not been able to stand out at the previous level, but at this point the Sens are probably going to send him to Belleville and we'll see in a few years if he can stay healthy and do enough earn a call-up.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

His style of play and physicality he inflicts makes the OHL the worst possible league for him. ECHL is better hockey, but I think he can be a regular in the AHL. He has missed alot of time though you are correct for sure.

He needs to find a way to stay healthy somehow. James Boyd was on TSN 1200 said his game has been progressing.

Reactions: Icelevel

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
His style of play and physicality he inflicts makes the OHL the worst possible league for him. ECHL is better hockey, but I think he can be a regular in the AHL. He has missed alot of time though you are correct for sure.

He needs to find a way to stay healthy somehow. James Boyd was on TSN 1200 said his game has been progressing.
I do not believe (quite sure) that ECHL is an option for an NHL signed player. It CHL, AHL or overseas.

And definitely he was a better player this year.

I'm using Fisher as an example of a player with that size, body type and physicality who overcame early injuries.

Bu if he was nothing more than "physical", then he likely would not have made the NHL. He overcame because of his offensive prowess.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Still can't believe that if we hadn't won game 82 against the Leafs in 2021 then we'd have picked 8th and Ottawa-born Sens fan Clarke would probably be a Senator right now.

He should be told not to treat it like an overager season. He's missed basically 2 out of the last 3 seasons.

It would be more of a concern if he were perfectly healthy through his draft, draft+1 and draft+2 years yet still got send back.

I would be concerned about how much offensive time he'd get with how little development he's had since his 16YR old season. Easy to see him falling into a situation where he's playing very limited minutes in Belleville's bottom 6 and isn't able to develop enough of an offensive game to make the NHL.

Would rather he plays against kids, hopefully gets healthy and plays a full season in offensive situations while he recovers his game.

Reactions: DrEasy

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I do not believe (quite sure) that ECHL is an option for an NHL signed player. It CHL, AHL or overseas.
You can definitely play in the ECHL while under an NHL contract,

Hoffman played 4 games in Elmira, Daccord played a dozen in Brampton, Hogberg played 17 in Brampton too I believe, just for example

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
You can definitely play in the ECHL while under an NHL contract,

Hoffman played 4 games in Elmira, Daccord played a dozen in Brampton, Hogberg played 17 in Brampton too I believe, just for example
Hoffman was in the CHL in his overage season, Daccord and Hogberg were well over 20.

My friend signed after being drafted as an overaged player, and then played pretty much only in the ECHL with some cups of coffee in the AHL in his 20 year old season. You can absolutely play in the ECHL as an overaged junior eligible signed player.

Patrick Guay is there this year, only guy I could spot from the Q at least

Last edited:
Reactions: Micklebot

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON

There's Stephen Halliday, who I might even put before Ostapchuk right now. Just had an impressive season in college.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
There's Stephen Halliday, who I might even put before Ostapchuk right now. Just had an impressive season in college.
He did have a very impressive season, I don't think the pro game is going to be as forgiving with his skating as the USHL and NCAA are.

He's probably our best offensive prospect, but his transition to the pro game is going to be much, much more difficult than a guy like Ostapchuk.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Bu if he was nothing more than "physical", then he likely would not have made the NHL. He overcame because of his offensive prowess.

I'm not comparing them as players or prospects. I'm using Fisher as an example of someone who overcame similar injuries early in his career and had a relatively long professional career.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad