Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Hoffman was in the CHL in his overage season, Daccord and Hogberg were well over 20.

My friend signed after being drafted as an overaged player, and then played pretty much only in the ECHL with some cups of coffee in the AHL in his 20 year old season. You can absolutely play in the ECHL as an overaged junior eligible signed player.

Patrick Guay is there this year, only guy I could spot from the Q at least
Goalies commonly play as overagers that is no surprise.

And yes Hoffman did well. But he was also a 5th round pick in D+1, that with being a late birthday meant he played CHL as an overager several months after he was drafted, not exactly comparable.

I do not remember the last 1st round pick who did an overage year (although there must be some). Even players like Bleakley drafted in first round then not considered worth signing did not do an overage year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I completely disagree with people who didn't like Boucher being picked 10th OA & here is why. First, that was a yr where they could swing for the fences, they already had Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris, Chabot, Sanderson, Pinto & Kleven, JBD & even Formenton in the fold, they had plenty of skill If they would have taken another skilled player what would that have done? Yes, he would have been at the top of our prospect pool & those that care about that would be maybe happy for a yr or two if he worked out, so what? We acquired another skilled player in DeBrincat who could help now & there was & still is all kinds of controversy surrounding him including too small, too soft & too easy to play against. IMO that is what picking another skilled prospect for our pool would have been, given we already have plenty of good young skilled players on the roster & needed tougher, harder players to play against which is what Boucher is. We also added Giroux another very skilled experienced vet & Chychrun who is young enough that he could be with the team for quite some time, they have plenty of skill.

Picking Boucher was an opportunity to take a player that brought the raw tough skills that so many teams covet & end up paying so much more for at the TDL. Take Alex Kilorn for example, he was a 3rd line player most of his career & only in the last two yrs has his production increased substantially that he earned himself a 4 yr $6.25 mil contract at 33 yrs old. Josh Anderson is another guy that many teams wanted & Crouse, Wilson & Laughton are also guys that lots of teams would want & would pay a 1st rd pick for. We have yet to see what Boucher can do for a team especially a good team & believe it or not he has some offensive skill, if he can stay healthy we may even get to see it this yr in Belleville. Was he worth a 1st? If he can help us in future contend for a playoff spot & help get us into later rds than the answer is YES. If all he ever does is be a 4th line player like Chris Neil than we pay him like a 4th line player, but he still helps us be much harder to play against than some of these skilled guys are. We have a young team & plenty of time to re-stock the prospect cupboard. Lots of guys have been picked in the 1st rd that never made it, at least with this guy & the way he plays he will find a role for himself in the bottom six where he helps make room for his linemates & allows them to create scoring chances. He might even do that on a top six role.

Our top six & top 4 D are pretty much set & with Ostapchuk, Boucher, Sogaard, JBD & Greig already pushing for NHL jobs they should be able to fill the bottom six & bottom pairing soon enough with good decent young players. Then we have outside shots like Sokolov, Jarventie, Halliday, Pettersson & Merilainen who could steal a roster spot. This strengthens every position on the roster & not just the top six or top 4 which seems to be all that some care about, it's a positive not a negative. We can't just have skilled players on this team we also need some rugged players as every team has proven in the past to also be hard to play against. The prospect pool in time will recover given our team is so young, they have plenty of time.

Reactions: Icelevel and JD1

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I completely disagree with people who didn't like Boucher being picked 10th OA & here is why. First, that was a yr where they could swing for the fences, they already had Stutzle, Tkachuk, Batherson, Norris, Chabot, Sanderson, Pinto & Kleven, JBD & even Formenton in the fold, they had plenty of skill If they would have taken another skilled player what would that have done? Yes, he would have been at the top of our prospect pool & those that care about that would be maybe happy for a yr or two if he worked out, so what? We acquired another skilled player in DeBrincat who could help now & there was & still is all kinds of controversy surrounding him including too small, too soft & too easy to play against. IMO that is what picking another skilled prospect for our pool would have been, given we already have plenty of good young skilled players on the roster & needed tougher, harder players to play against which is what Boucher is. We also added Giroux another very skilled experienced vet & Chychrun who is young enough that he could be with the team for quite some time, they have plenty of skill.

Picking Boucher was an opportunity to take a player that brought the raw tough skills that so many teams covet & end up paying so much more for at the TDL. Take Alex Kilorn for example, he was a 3rd line player most of his career & only in the last two yrs has his production increased substantially that he earned himself a 4 yr $6.25 mil contract at 33 yrs old. Josh Anderson is another guy that many teams wanted & Crouse, Wilson & Laughton are also guys that lots of teams would want & would pay a 1st rd pick for. We have yet to see what Boucher can do for a team especially a good team & believe it or not he has some offensive skill, if he can stay healthy we may even get to see it this yr in Belleville. Was he worth a 1st? If he can help us in future contend for a playoff spot & help get us into later rds than the answer is YES. If all he ever does is be a 4th line player like Chris Neil than we pay him like a 4th line player, but he still helps us be much harder to play against than some of these skilled guys are. We have a young team & plenty of time to re-stock the prospect cupboard. Lots of guys have been picked in the 1st rd that never made it, at least with this guy & the way he plays he will find a role for himself in the bottom six where he helps make room for his linemates & allows them to create scoring chances. He might even do that on a top six role.

Our top six & top 4 D are pretty much set & with Ostapchuk, Boucher, Sogaard, JBD & Greig already pushing for NHL jobs they should be able to fill the bottom six & bottom pairing soon enough with good decent young players. Then we have outside shots like Sokolov, Jarventie, Halliday, Pettersson & Merilainen who could steal a roster spot. This strengthens every position on the roster & not just the top six or top 4 which seems to be all that some care about, it's a positive not a negative. We can't just have skilled players on this team we also need some rugged players as every team has proven in the past to also be hard to play against. The prospect pool in time will recover given our team is so young, they have plenty of time.
The problem with this is those high skill guys go early in the draft for a reason - it is hard to score in the NHL.

A guy who can crash and bang is easy to acquire (relatively speaking). The upside just wasn't there with Boucher to take such a gamble. Nothing in his history suggested he could be a high impact player, even physically, at the NHL level.

All that said, let's see how he does in camp and then in the AHL. Most who have been negative have also preached patience. Time will tell if is an NHL player but I don't see any way he lives up to his draft position.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
The problem with this is those high skill guys go early in the draft for a reason - it is hard to score in the NHL.

A guy who can crash and bang is easy to acquire (relatively speaking). The upside just wasn't there with Boucher to take such a gamble. Nothing in his history suggested he could be a high impact player, even physically, at the NHL level.

All that said, let's see how he does in camp and then in the AHL. Most who have been negative have also preached patience. Time will tell if is an NHL player but I don't see any way he lives up to his draft position.
I hope he can produce in the AHL this year and there is a useful player in there. He will play.. at least 4th line in the NHL but I am not treating him as equal value to a 16-22 pick.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Don't count on it and Chris Neil was 161 OA. Boucher will never be the fighter Neil was.

yea neil was one of the best ever at what he did i think. If i knew Neil was going to become what he did, I would take Neil 10 overall even ahead of some stars. but I would not have gambled on Neil becoming Neil with the 10 ovr.

so idk boucher as raffi torres or something? another thing to consider with Boucher is that it is easy to hit kids.

but what happens at the NHL when everyone smaller than you is shiftier than you, and a lot of the league is just as strong if not bigger and stronger. lazar got a dose of reality real quick. is Boucher much stronger than Lazar?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
yea neil was one of the best ever at what he did i think. If i knew Neil was going to become what he did, I would take Neil 10 overall even ahead of some stars. but I would not have gambled on Neil becoming Neil with the 10 ovr.

so idk boucher as raffi torres or something? another thing to consider with Boucher is that it is easy to hit kids.

but what happens at the NHL when everyone smaller than you is shiftier than you, and a lot of the league is just as strong if not bigger and stronger. lazar got a dose of reality real quick. is Boucher much stronger than Lazar?
Raffi Torres had a much better junior career and showed some potential offensive prowess before he blew out his knee if I recall.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009

Is Boucher much stronger than lazar?
Yes. Wait…have you seen Boucher play? ;)

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
My prediction is Boucher will not be able to keep up at the AHL level. It's just based on what he has shown so far. Ostapchuk on the other, I think will not only produce points, he'll be a major SOB to play against. So Boucher is probably a swing and a miss. You win some and lose some. With two 1st rounders in 2024, hopefully they'll make some good picks and rebuild the pool.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
We will have a new man in charge of scouting by then, so there is new hope for the future.

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Way too many people giving up on Boucher, yes he was a bad pick as #10 but that's crying over spilled milk. What the Sens got is someone who, if he can stay healthy, can at least contribute in the bottom 6. Great shot, good skating, hits, and is a bit dirty a la Matt Cooke. Could be a pest in the making, but he needs to stay healthy first.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
We have no room for him cap wise this year, so hoping he takes his development to the next level this year and comes up next year ready to make some noise.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Ostapchuk - Greig - Boucher - while I doubt they put these three rookies together this could be a really good line in Belleville.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Way too many people giving up on Boucher, yes he was a bad pick as #10 but that's crying over spilled milk. What the Sens got is someone who, if he can stay healthy, can at least contribute in the bottom 6. Great shot, good skating, hits, and is a bit dirty a la Matt Cooke. Could be a pest in the making, but he needs to stay healthy first.
I think there is nuance to this as I see a very small minority giving up on him.

Yes, people are disappointed a 10th overall has not shown any promise since he was drafted (call it bad luck, injuries, moving to a completely new country, etc...doesn't really matter). He hasn't moved the needle towards looking like a legit NHL player.

Even his top attributes of a shot and of being physical don't seem like they will translate much into the NHL.

He has a great shot but doesn't score a lot. He hits a fair bit but he isn't a fighter, doesn't play like an agitator and physically, he is pretty average for an NHLer.

Most people seem to be like me. Underwhelmed so far but given he does have some tools, we are willing to wait it out a bit longer to make up our minds. We all hope he finds some magic and becomes a player for us.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad