Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
I'm willing to bet Boucher has a more productive NHL career than Sillinger when all is said and done.
Would gladly take that bet.

Production wise not sure it will be close, one is a scorer, the other isn’t

One will be a scoring line shooter, who’s getting teed up to score.

The other will be an energy line physical player.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I'm willing to bet Boucher has a more productive NHL career than Sillinger when all is said and done.
I could certainly see that happening. Boucher is displaying some really good offensive instincts this season and he has some really good tools to go with it. If he can continue to build on what he is doing now and depending on how his development path goes he could very well end up as the superior player.

Reactions: Icelevel

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I could certainly see that happening. Boucher is displaying some really good offensive instincts this season and he has some really good tools to go with it. If he can continue to build on what he is doing now and depending on how his development path goes he could very well end up as the superior player.
I guess, but Sillinger produced at the same pace in the WHL three years ago at 16, he's had a rough start to the year for sure but people seemed to be writing him off a little quick now that Boucher is finally showing some production.

Reactions: Senator Stanley

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Brady and Sanderson were ranked high by almost every reputable scouting staff and Brady was going to go near where he did same with Sanderson

Boucher is a straight up Brian Lee move where the team thought they knew something that no one else did. Its okay to think that but its also okay to rip the team for what seems like an obvious mistake today.

having a guy like Sillinger would make a defensemen deal so much easier.
How would having Sillinger make it easier to make a deal for a D ? I’m not getting your logic

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021

You could write the paragraph above about almost any prospect in the world.

Important perspective. Boucher is tied for 6th on his team in scoring. An OHL team.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
If Team 1200 said that, based on what we see in the video, then they have not seen the most devastating hits in the NHL.

The kid was convulsing on the ice. It was pretty gut wrenching.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
You could write the paragraph above about almost any prospect in the world.

Important perspective. Boucher is tied for 6th on his team in scoring. An OHL team.
You might want to consider taking some time to watch Boucher play, there is a lot of important information missed if you rely solely on scoresheets and season stats summaries to make your evaluations. For example last game Boucher had a nice toe drag leading to a very dangerous shot attempt that hit the post, by only looking at the scoresheet there would be no way of knowing that he generated such a high quality scoring chance.

From what I have seen this season Boucher has generated a large number of high quality scoring chances, I am confident that if he can continue to generate such chances that it will lead to a meaningful jump in overall production.

Reactions: Icelevel

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I guess, but Sillinger produced at the same pace in the WHL three years ago at 16, he's had a rough start to the year for sure but people seemed to be writing him off a little quick now that Boucher is finally showing some production.
I'm simply making my subjective assessment based on what I have seen from Boucher's play. I believe he has some very high quality tools and I have been impressed with his improved positioning, offensive instincts and the quality of scoring chances he has generated this season.

I am reminded a bit of my assessments of Brady Tkachuk. I had a lot of confidence in what I thought Tkachuk's upside would be and have been pretty consistent in arguing my position. Last season Tkachuk demonstrated some pretty impressive numbers. I have made some bold claims about Tkachuk's projected upside suggesting that his peak potential would be comparable to that of Keith Tkachuk, Jamie Benn and Jarome Iginla. Thus far this season that is starting to look like it could be a real possibility.

Time will tell whether my assessments and projections of Boucher are correct or not but I am comfortable making them. I like what I see and believe that a lot of people on here are seriously overlooking him.

Sillinger seems like a fine prospect but I could certainly see Boucher being the better player in the long run. It is a bold claim and people can remind me of it if it turns out to be a bad one but I'm still comfortable making it. Leading up to the 2021 draft I saw reports comparing Sillinger to James Neal and Jeff Carter, I could see him being somewhat like that but probably closer to Neal than Carter in terms of peak upside. I still think Boucher could end up being better.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
You might want to consider taking some time to watch Boucher play, there is a lot of important information missed if you rely solely on scoresheets and season stats summaries to make your evaluations. For example last game Boucher had a nice toe drag leading to a very dangerous shot attempt that hit the post, by only looking at the scoresheet there would be no way of knowing that he generated such a high quality scoring chance.

From what I have seen this season Boucher has generated a large number of high quality scoring chances, I am confident that if he can continue to generate such chances that it will lead to a meaningful jump in overall production.

Likely not even checking the whole scoresheet. That poster ignored games played, ignored that he's on a 53 goal pace and probably doesn't know that he's top 5 in the league in shots on net per game. All this from the second line.

Boucher is having the season he needed to have. Still not good enough for some because, I would surmise, details aren't for everyone.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Agreed on both fronts but CBJ will also be asking "was it 'wrong' to prefer X over Sillinger?". Right now, X may be Wyatt Johnson. I am sure a lot of teams are questioning what they missed in JJ Moser. Is 6'5 RD Jack Matier about to go PPG + as a U20 player 2 years after being drafted in the 4th round? Just the way it goes, especially in that year.

If Boucher is a career or decade-long Senator, battling from the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th lines while we compete, I think we will all find it hard to question the pick. At this point, that's all we can hope for.

That's not to say that we can't question the Sens drafting or player evaluation... but I don't think "he wasn't BPA" is a fair argument to evaluate on. Maybe there is a Kucherov-level player lurking in the mid-rounds of the 2020 draft... maybe it's even Peterka! Doesn't mean we blew it on Stutzle, Sanderson, Greig, Jarventie, Sokolov, etc.

The second Matier got drafted by Nashville you just knew he’d look like a steal in no time.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Likely not even checking the whole scoresheet. That poster ignored games played, ignored that he's on a 53 goal pace and probably doesn't know that he's top 5 in the league in shots on net per game. All this from the second line.

Boucher is having the season he needed to have. Still not good enough for some because, I would surmise, details aren't for everyone.
Huh? He was replying to me and I was talking purely pace, how did I ignore games played? I think you may be mixing me up with someone else. Right now Boucher has a disproportionate number of his goals from EN situations, he isn't likely to hit 53 goals unless he does more than he currently is doing but I wouldn't be surprised to see him around 40-45 by the end of the year.

As I said earlier, he shows some good signs for a guy that hopes to be a power forward wreaking ball and has a few NHL level tools. There's definitely some potential there, but my point was less a out him and more about people being very quick to write of Sillinger thanks to his sophomore slump, he's show a lot of potential at lower levels too, and has had some success at the NHL level too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
The kid was convulsing on the ice. It was pretty gut wrenching.
I did not see that in the video. Sorry to hear that as I never want anyone to get hurt like that. The hit did not look that bad. He must have hit his head on the glass. Hope he is OK now. Have you heard any news?

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
For me it was, at least in my rankings.
It was the coach that said , and he is playing in junior not the NHL. The coach has coached in the NHL.
Did Tyler steal your dog, you seem really upset.
No, I don't have a dog! :)

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
How would having Sillinger make it easier to make a deal for a D ? I’m not getting your logic
much better player and value than Boucher. No one is trading for Boucher...atleast anything of value. Also having two good centres in Greig and Sillinger in the pipeline gives us more options for trades. Right now our only high end prospect to deal is Greig

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Yes to Drysdale
To soon to say on Sillinger but clearly trending No.

If its too soon to say on Sillinger then its also to soon to soon to say on Drysdale. They're all young guys and I mean the separation between Sillinger and Boucher at this point is multiple leagues where the difference between Sandy & Drysdale is that one is playing better than the other but at least they're in the same league.

Inevitably the answer is that it's too soon to say for either comparison but the separation between Sillinger and Boucher is far greater at this point.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
much better player and value than Boucher. No one is trading for Boucher...atleast anything of value. Also having two good centres in Greig and Sillinger in the pipeline gives us more options for trades. Right now our only high end prospect to deal is Greig
There are likely a few GMs that would love to get Boucher in their pipeline and would place a high value on him. Arizona would likely be very high on him as a local product who has a different style than many of their current prospects.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
If its too soon to say on Sillinger then its also to soon to soon to say on Drysdale. They're all young guys and I mean the separation between Sillinger and Boucher at this point is multiple leagues where the difference between Sandy & Drysdale is that one is playing better than the other but at least they're in the same league.

Inevitably the answer is that it's too soon to say for either comparison but the separation between Sillinger and Boucher is far greater at this point.
Sanderson and Drysdale are both in the NHL. Boucher and Sillinger are at very different points in their development.

I am far more hopeful on Boucher than I was prior to this season. He has shown some good offensive progression. Last years viewings had me seeing him as a shooter who needs to be fed while this year I’ve seen him take the puck from down low or along the wall and carry it to a shooting area.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
Huh? He was replying to me and I was talking purely pace, how did I ignore games played? I think you may be mixing me up with someone else. Right now Boucher has a disproportionate number of his goals from EN situations, he isn't likely to hit 53 goals unless he does more than he currently is doing but I wouldn't be surprised to see him around 40-45 by the end of the year.

As I said earlier, he shows some good signs for a guy that hopes to be a power forward wreaking ball and has a few NHL level tools. There's definitely some potential there, but my point was less a out him and more about people being very quick to write of Sillinger thanks to his sophomore slump, he's show a lot of potential at lower levels too, and has had some success at the NHL level too.
He wasn't replying to you in the post he was quoting that I was quoting.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
Sanderson and Drysdale are both in the NHL. Boucher and Sillinger are at very different points in their development.

I am far more hopeful on Boucher than I was prior to this season. He has shown some good offensive progression. Last years viewings had me seeing him as a shooter who needs to be fed while this year I’ve seen him take the puck from down low or along the wall and carry it to a shooting area.

I mean that's all accurate and fair but that doesn't change the fact that saying it was wrong to prefer Drysdale over Sanderson but then you go onto say thats it's too early to say that it was wrong to prefer Silinger over Boucher is simply seeing things with Sens-coloured goggles

The seperation Sillinger has created since the draft between he and Boucher has far exceeded that of Sanderson & Drysdale so saying we can wait and see on one and not the other isn't consistent at all.

Ad

Ad

Ad