Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
People also have to keep in mind he turns 20 in January

He should destroy the OHL right now, nothing less

Recent 2nd round pick in 2022 Owen Beck has 12 pts in 7 games in the OHL

Late 1st Filip Mesar has 6 pts in 2 games

Both are 18 y/o

When you consider the type of player Tyler Boucher projects to be, points aren't nearly as important.

I think everyone can agree that he won't be a top 6 player at the NHL level. He's going to be a 3rd line winger who's a physical menace on the ice and can hopefully pot 15 goals off the rush. It's fair to say that that's not an ideal outcome for a 10th overall pick, but what's done is done.

Why even compare him to Filip Mesar? A 5'9 finesse forward?

If Mesar doesn't score, he's useless. If Boucher doesn't score, he can still have a role.

Boucher needs to work on the specific things that will get him to the NHL:

• Get even stronger without losing speed
• Become responsible defensively
• Score goals with his shot

That's what he should be judged on. Assists and total points? Who cares.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
The question is, did we make the best use possible of the 10th overall pick in relation to the players available to us.
depends I guess, who you ask
So many freaked over Brady pick, Sanderson pick, and they were obviously wrong.

Reactions: aragorn

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
People also have to keep in mind he turns 20 in January

He should destroy the OHL right now, nothing less

Recent 2nd round pick in 2022 Owen Beck has 12 pts in 7 games in the OHL

Late 1st Filip Mesar has 6 pts in 2 games

Both are 18 y/o
Why point out Boucher will be 20 in January but say Beck is 18 (turns19 Feb 3). It’s like you are intentionally trying to mislead people into thinking Boucher is 2 years older than Beck

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Why point out Boucher will be 20 in January but say Beck is 18 (turns19 Feb 3). It’s like you are intentionally trying to mislead people into thinking Boucher is 2 years older than Beck
Yeah, they are in their 18 and 19 year old seasons, doesn’t really matter when they were born in the year.

Reactions: GCK and JD1

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
When you consider the type of player Tyler Boucher projects to be, points aren't nearly as important.

Because, as a number of people have pointed out, NHL players, even the minor role players, were dominant scorers at the CHL level.

The CHL is a league so far below the NHL that players with the skill to make it to the NHL are just so vastly superior at this level in so many areas they dominate.

Parker Kelly, D+1 far in advance of what Boucher did.
Austin Watson, far in advance of Boucher.
Kastellic, far in advance.

Finding an NHL player that put up Boucher D+1 numbers are extremely rare to the point of being non existent.

If you can skate at the NHL level, you blow by 90% of the kids in the CHL. If you can shoot at an NHL level, you absolutely torch goaltenders that will never even get a sniff of the ECHL. If 95% of the CHL players in the NHL scored at ~PPG D+1 , thats a telling stat. It says points matter. Its not a guarantee, but it is a heck of a barometer, even for defensemen.

Its not that I hate Boucher, I wish him all the luck and hope he makes it. But my expectations are very low based on available evidence. And if he keeps scoring liek this, then it will raise my expectations, no doubt. And I hope he does. But do not pretend points do not matter when the evidence says exactly the opposite.

Reactions: Cosmix

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Because, as a number of people have pointed out, NHL players, even the minor role players, were dominant scorers at the CHL level.

The CHL is a league so far below the NHL that players with the skill to make it to the NHL are just so vastly superior at this level in so many areas they dominate.

Parker Kelly, D+1 far in advance of what Boucher did.
Austin Watson, far in advance of Boucher.
Kastellic, far in advance.

Finding an NHL player that put up Boucher D+1 numbers are extremely rare to the point of being non existent.

If you can skate at the NHL level, you blow by 90% of the kids in the CHL. If you can shoot at an NHL level, you absolutely torch goaltenders that will never even get a sniff of the ECHL. If 95% of the CHL players in the NHL scored at ~PPG D+1 , thats a telling stat. It says points matter. Its not a guarantee, but it is a heck of a barometer, even for defensemen.

Its not that I hate Boucher, I wish him all the luck and hope he makes it. But my expectations are very low based on available evidence. And if he keeps scoring liek this, then it will raise my expectations, no doubt. And I hope he does. But do not pretend points do not matter when the evidence says exactly the opposite.

His year last year sucked, no doubt.

But my post was in response to people saying that 6 goals in 7 games is still not good enough.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I'm expecting a 6'1, 210lb Parker Kelly out of Boucher - gritty 4th line RW that makes big hits and can score the odd goal with a powerful shot.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What Boucher has to do is help Ottawa win in the playoffs & win a cup, everything else doesn't matter, it's just talk. If he can be the extra difference that pushes this team over the top than it was worth it regardless of what people say & who they compare him to. Can he help this team win & that is to be determined. Did Chris Phillips deserve to be drafted 1st overall? Probably not, but he had a decent career here, management loved him, the fans loved him & in the end nobody cared that he was a 1st OA pick given what he did do for this franchise ended up positive for the team, the org & the city.

Most hated the Burrows trade, but if it were not for him pushing that puck ahead that ended up going into the net & advancing Ottawa into the next rd they might have lost that game & playoff run. The owner & management were happy because they got another playoff rd which meant millions of dollars in extra profits, the fans were happy because they advanced to the conference finals & whatever it cost them to bring Burrows in didn't matter at that point because of that one play. He did what they needed him to do for them to advance, it's why they traded for him.

It's a business of winning & as long as you are winning what it cost them to get there doesn't matter until they lose. This team we have today is a very exciting young team learning to win & it doesn't matter what it cost to get here if they continue to improve to the point they become Cup contenders. It's all about right now & where they could potentially go with this group, what has happened in the past is history.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Did Chris Phillips deserve to be drafted 1st overall? Probably not, but he had a decent career here, management loved him, the fans loved him & in the end nobody cared that he was a 1st OA pick given what he did do for this franchise ended up positive for the team, the org & the city.
Phillips was a dman, its not a fair comparison. And of course Phillips had better scoring in his draft year than Boucher in d+1. Different game back then mind you.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
His year last year sucked, no doubt.

But my post was in response to people saying that 6 goals in 7 games is still not good enough.

I am not saying that. I am saying that this has given me cause for optimism. But its still a wait and see I'm not flipping my entire opinion on a 7 game stretch. But if he can keep this up for a whole season, my opinion starts to go up that he has a chance.

But at the same time people are using this as proof he is going to be an elite 3rd line player who is going to deliver cups .....

If people are still concerned 2 were empty netters, yes I get it, but good players get those too.

Pinto Bean

Sep 13, 2009
Ottawa
I'm expecting a 6'1, 210lb Parker Kelly out of Boucher - gritty 4th line RW that makes big hits and can score the odd goal with a powerful shot.

I'd like that too. Exactly where my hopes are at. Unfortunately, I have yet to see that type of engine or tenacity from Boucher in my viewings of him last season (haven't gotten to see him yet this year so hopefully that has changed). I accepted that he was struggling offensively but I was super disappointed that his physicality was overshadowed by a whole bunch of other 67's players last season.

Brady Stonehouse seems like the better Parker Kelly replacement in my eyes.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
What Boucher has to do is help Ottawa win in the playoffs & win a cup, everything else doesn't matter, it's just talk. If he can be the extra difference that pushes this team over the top than it was worth it regardless of what people say & who they compare him to. Can he help this team win & that is to be determined. Did Chris Phillips deserve to be drafted 1st overall? Probably not, but he had a decent career here, management loved him, the fans loved him & in the end nobody cared that he was a 1st OA pick given what he did do for this franchise ended up positive for the team, the org & the city.

Most hated the Burrows trade, but if it were not for him pushing that puck ahead that ended up going into the net & advancing Ottawa into the next rd they might have lost that game & playoff run. The owner & management were happy because they got another playoff rd which meant millions of dollars in extra profits, the fans were happy because they advanced to the conference finals & whatever it cost them to bring Burrows in didn't matter at that point because of that one play. He did what they needed him to do for them to advance, it's why they traded for him.

It's a business of winning & as long as you are winning what it cost them to get there doesn't matter until they lose. This team we have today is a very exciting young team learning to win & it doesn't matter what it cost to get here if they continue to improve to the point they become Cup contenders. It's all about right now & where they could potentially go with this group, what has happened in the past is history.
Making it into the playoffs matters too.

Boucher's start this reason is good and I hope it continues. It would be great if he had a high scoring year for the 67s and became a physical force feared by other teams. Let's take stock of his performance as of Jan 1 2023.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
I'd like that too. Exactly where my hopes are at. Unfortunately, I have yet to see that type of engine or tenacity from Boucher in my viewings of him last season (haven't gotten to see him yet this year so hopefully that has changed). I accepted that he was struggling offensively but I was super disappointed that his physicality was overshadowed by a whole bunch of other 67's players last season.

Brady Stonehouse seems like the better Parker Kelly replacement in my eyes.

Boucher is a confusing player and prospect. He is not a high-energy player, at all, but he has some pest in him. He's not a consistent physical presence, but he can absolutely crush guys. He shows so many things but doesn't do any of them consistently.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

I think everyone can agree that he won't be a top 6 player at the NHL level. He's going to be a 3rd line winger who's a physical menace on the ice and can hopefully pot 15 goals off the rush. It's fair to say that that's not an ideal outcome for a 10th overall pick, but what's done is done.

Why even compare him to Filip Mesar? A 5'9 finesse forward?

If Mesar doesn't score, he's useless. If Boucher doesn't score, he can still have a role.

Boucher needs to work on the specific things that will get him to the NHL:

• Get even stronger without losing speed
• Become responsible defensively
• Score goals with his shot

It's ok, I am not expecting Boucher to be a Top-6 forward. I see him a bit like I see guys like Kastelic and Crookshank. Guys who could possibly be great/good bottom-6 forwards

Like you said, what's done is done.

I was just (like others did too) providing some context as to why his stats this year most likely won't mean "see? I told you so! He was a great pick at 10th OA!"

Why do some get so defensive on Boucher lol

Look, I have spent about 1 minute on that post. I didn't realize I had to include all the details. I assumed people were capable of connecting the dots : Boucher is from the 2021 draft and the 2 random examples I gave were from the only other draft since...

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It's ok, I am not expecting Boucher to be a Top-6 forward. I see him a bit like I see guys like Kastelic and Crookshank. Guys who could possibly be great/good bottom-6 forwards

I was just (like others did too) providing some context as to why his stats this year most likely won't mean "see? I told you so! He was a great pick at 10th OA!"

Look, I have spent about 1 minute on that post. I didn't realize I had to include all the details. I assumed people were capable of connecting the dots : Boucher is from the 2021 draft and the 2 random examples I gave were from the only other draft since...
You purposely used ages rather than draft years to add fuel to the point you were trying to make. I felt the need to clarify.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

It was misleading whether intentional or not, as @GCK pointed out.
It was like saying Boucher is 19 and Beck will be 19 in February.

Reactions: GCK

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You purposely used ages rather than draft years to add fuel to the point you were trying to make. I felt the need to clarify.

lol "purposely", I'm not really into these stupid games.

I simply repeated a point that I have made in the past

Oct 15, 2022 "Boucher not being AT LEAST PPG would be an even bigger reason to worry than last season... the guy turns 20 y/o in 3 months"

Is it not a fact that he turns 20 in January? What I did was to OMIT mentioning that the 2 examples I gave would also change their age soon, because I spent very little time on the post and it was obvious anyway (easily verifiable by opening a google page)

Keep your trials of intentions away from me.

It was misleading whether intentional or not, as @GCK pointed out.
It was like saying Boucher is 19 and Beck will be 19 in February.

Maybe but my response above is clear. If you don't want to give me the benefit of the doubt then whatever.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Even though he didn’t score I thought Boucher showed better offensively tonight. Took a few passes on the perimeter and drove to the slot, looked to be more assertive.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

Ad

Ad

Ad