Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yeah that’s the same video I saw.

I’ve been in both those positions enough to know what happened off screen I think, probably more so me deducing what I assumed happened than what I actually saw, the original video doesn’t show much, you’re right.
Yeah, on original viewing, I assumed he either hit his head on the glass from the hit, or the ice when he went down, if it were the later I assumed there must have been some sort of trip but I didn't pick it up till the other angle.

Either way, I'm happy to see that type of hit removed from the game,

Reactions: GCK

Blotto71

Okay, maybe the worst is behind us...?
May 12, 2013
Over There
I certainly feel the result was horrible, but see no intent on Boucher's part. To me it looks no different than those hits when a player's feet leave the ice upon contact.

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
He sweeps the player from behind with his leg.

Is as clear a slew-foot as you can get

I disagree, and I hope that's okay - I'm not interested in starting something. We do agree that the result was terrible and I assume we agree that the most important thing here is that Brzustowski is recovering and expected to be alright.

Reactions: BondraTime

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
I disagree, and I hope that's okay - I'm not interested in starting something. We do agree that the result was terrible and I assume we agree that the most important thing here is that Brzustowski is recovering and expected to be alright.
Out of curiosity, how would you define slew-foot?

Blotto71

May 12, 2013
Over There
Out of curiosity, how would you define slew-foot?

That's a Hockey Canada video explaining how they will determine penalties for slew footing.

In the video showing Boucher's hit I do not see any "sweeping" motion, in fact, if you watch the first video posted you actually see his left leg move back and away from Brzustowski after contact, not through him.

Or at least that is how I see it. Again, I respect others that see it differently and the most important thing in all of this is Brzustowski's health.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

That's a Hockey Canada video explaining how they will determine penalties for slew footing.

In the video showing Boucher's hit I do not see any "sweeping" motion, in fact, if you watch the first video posted you actually see his left leg move back and away from Brzustowski after contact, not through him.

Or at least that is how I see it. Again, I respect others that see it differently and the most important thing in all of this is Brzustowski's health.

Weird, to me that video shows a couple almost identical plays, brings the leg behind the other player and uses his upperbody/arms to stop the players forward momentum or even push him back a bit, and because of the angle of approach, his leg is going to carry through underneath the player effectively slew footing him.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He doesn't kick his feet legs out or sweep them.. He lead with his leg and it acted more like a fulcrum as he hit him. I don't think its a classic slew foot. 6 games is a lot .

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
not what I call a slew foot
But it is a slew foot, by definition. Slew footing isn’t just kicking a players legs out from under them, anytime you use a fulcrum like mechanic, like you mentioned him leading with his leg, it’s slew-footing.

NHL Rule 52.1 - Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

Boucher never kicked his legs out at all. He knocked them out, while pushing him backwards resulting him falling on his head. Very clear cut case of slew footing.

Don’t think it was intentional whatsoever.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
But it is a slew foot, by definition. Slew footing isn’t just kicking a players legs out from under them, anytime you use a fulcrum like mechanic, like you mentioned him leading with his leg, it’s slew-footing.

NHL Rule 52.1 - Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent’s feet from under him, or pushes an opponent’s upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent’s feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

Boucher never kicked his legs out at all. He knocked them out, while pushing him backwards resulting him falling on his head. Very clear cut case of slew footing.

Don’t think it was intentional whatsoever.

It can be interpreted like that but I agree it wasn't his intent

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Don't think Cooke intended to slice EK either, but when you do dumb stuff shit happens.

Suspension is the right amount.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Don't think Cooke intended to slice EK either, but when you do dumb stuff shit happens.

Have you ever met that Cooke guy? Not to derail but he was incapable of controlling his evil split second decision making.
Going into a hit with your leg raised and then stomping down is hard to explain but I’d welcome anyone to try. Maybe in another thread.
The Boucher hit was dangerous and the suspension should be a good lesson for him.
(Never like to mention anyone along with the scumbag. They are not the same)

Last edited:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
The OHL for many years have been more focused on punishing the outcome rather than the actual act, so I did not find this surprising. I've seen longer suspensions for what I consider completely clean hits.

Reactions: aragorn

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Does the OHL have something similar to a PA that can help him shorten it ?
Nope. In the OHL, Dave Branch is judge, jury and executioner all in one, and he LOVES finding a guy and making an example of him with long suspensions. Branch's suspensions are consistently more severe than any handed out by the other leagues. To me, the OHL has become a no-hit league because players are constantly wary of being dinged for "checks to the head" or, the new flavour of the week, a "slew foot". Honestly, the Q is a more entertaining league to watch now, and has been for a while.

Just as it was with checks to the head, they are now looking for slew foots everywhere. Was the Boucher hit a slew foot? I don't think it was - I think people are looking too hard at the tape frame by frame, and not paying attention to the fact that a much lighter player got blindsided by a big, strong dude. To me, it is the hit that caused the injury, not his leg coming through. Boucher has to start skating up ice - of course his foot has to move forward. I think the suspension is garbage, but when a hit has a bad result like this, Branch is coming in with a big suspension because he is very concerned about parents of star players steering their kids to the NCAA route as opposed to the OHL.

Reactions: aragorn

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

No it was a legal hit. Thats outrageous. He finished his check thats what you are supposed to do.

The reason the OHL reacts like this is for recruitment. When parents are sending their 16 year old son away from home to live in a new city when there is an NCAA scholarship option they want to know they are safe. Its political.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No it was a legal hit. Thats outrageous. He finished his check thats what you are supposed to do.

The reason the OHL reacts like this is for recruitment. When parents are sending their 16 year old son away from home to live in a new city when there is an NCAA scholarship option they want to know they are safe. Its political.
Counterpoint: if finishing your hit means using your leg as a fulcrum to flip the the opposing player backwards and put him head first onto the ice, then maybe we need to change what a legal hit is, regardless of what level of hockey is being played.

Reactions: Korpse and OD99

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad