Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
soooo.....not scoring?

I also would have preferred Sillinger. It didn’t happen. The pick was used on Boucher.

The kid didn’t choose to get picked where he did 17 months ago. Now he’s sens property, let’s all hope he exceeds expectations and makes something of himself.

Don’t need to rain on every highlight of Tyler Boucher.

If you’ve got to direct your ire at someone over where he was drafted, I’d direct you here :

For him to become the physical presence we’re hoping for at the NHL level we’d better see him imposing himself physically in the OHL. Would it have been even better if he had plowed through two guys and scored? Sure, but it’s still positive to see him plow through two guys. We’ve seen increased scoring already, give it time.

Did you see how he had three Kingston players within 3 feet of him at the end? Imagine him kicking that puck out to Stutzle, Norris, Pinto or Greig.

Last edited:

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He's producing like former send draft pick Puempel. Better skater and more physical which should make him a better NHL player but I always worry about how transferable offense is when guys get far more goals than assists.
Bit of an odd comparison given the limited games from Boucher.

Puempel was CHL rookie of the year and scored over 30 goals each season except when he was injured and still paced at over 30 goals. He was supposed to be a bit of a sniper.

Don't see the similarities at all but appreciate the throwback name!

soooo.....not scoring?
Careful...isn't that what everyone is saying about Branny?

I want Boucher to score too but that was still a pretty good clip.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
He's producing like former send draft pick Puempel. Better skater and more physical which should make him a better NHL player but I always worry about how transferable offense is when guys get far more goals than assists.

Yes but he's playing on a team that's 17-1.

He's a point per game... nice...but 6 other guys on the team have a better points per game, 5 of which are younger than boucher.

So in his last year of junior, he's barely a top 6 talent on his team.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Yes but he's playing on a team that's 17-1.

He's a point per game... nice...but 6 other guys on the team have a better points per game, 5 of which are younger than boucher.

So in his last year of junior, he's barely a top 6 talent on his team.

He's not even relied on as a go-to player by his coaches. He's down the list. I think that's very telling.

Reactions: NB613

Joeyjoejoe

Dec 18, 2015

LOL

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

If you mean his point progression D+2 is behind Puempel D-2, then sure.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm talking about at the same age, both in their d+2 as 19 year olds, why would I compare a d+2 to a d-2? I guess you could argue unlike Puempel, Boucher is showing progress?

Puempel 35 g 47 pts in 51 games
Boucher pacing at 36 g, and 51 pts in 51 games.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

I'm talking about at the same age, both in their d+2 as 19 year olds, why would I compare a d+2 to a d-2? I guess you could argue unlike Puempel, Boucher is showing progress?

Because it’s stupid and childish I guess.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Here is why. Peumpel was drafted where he was only because of his D-2 year. If the draft had been two years later, he would have been a 5th round plus pick and may have never played an NHL game.

It would be unfair to compare his numbers from D+2 and correlate to hype D-2. By the time D+2 was done, Puempel was considered a very suspect prospect.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Here is why. Peumpel was drafted where he was only because of his D-2 year. If the draft had been two years later, he would have been a 5th round plus pick and may have never played an NHL game.

It would be unfair to compare his numbers from D+2 and correlate to hype D-2. By the time D+2 was done, Puempel was considered a very suspect prospect.
Nobody is correlating hype. You’re just starting your own battle for no reason.

They are comparing their D+2 seasons. Both are scoring more goals than assists, which isn’t/wasn’t a good predictor of future offensive success, and both scoring ~ppg.

Has absolutely nothing to do with where either guy was drafted, or where either guy should have been drafted. Comparison of each guy during their D+2 season.

Reactions: Micklebot

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
Nobody is correlating hype. You’re just starting your own battle for no reason.

They are comparing their D+2 seasons. Both are scoring more goals than assists, which isn’t/wasn’t a good predictor of future offensive success, and both scoring ~ppg.

Has absolutely nothing to do with where either guy was drafted, or where either guy should have been drafted. Comparison of each guy during their D+2 season.
The whole idea of the original post is comparing D+2 with Peumpel, who was a well known commodity who did play NHL games.

My whole point is that it is a terrible comparison because the only reason fans even remember Puempel is because he was a first rounder who was coasting his rep on his first CHL year. By the time D+2 came around, Puempel largely would have been thought of a pick much like Ottawa fifth rounder Vincent Dunn (not the D man), and thats really not a good thing.

The fact is Puempel was a highly dubious prospect by the time he left the CHL, and likely would not have gotten in NHL games is he was not a first rounder, which was based on first year hype. That is not a good comparison if you hope for Boucher to succeed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The whole idea of the original post is comparing D+2 with Peumpel, who was a well known commodity who did play NHL games.
No @BondraTime has it exactly right, I brought up Puempel specifically because he had low assist numbers and it didn't translate. Boucher also has low assist totals, I think that's a bad sign for a D+2 prospect, but his other attributes will likely allow him to have a chance of a career in a bottom 6 role unlike Puempel
My whole point is that it is a terrible comparison because the only reason fans even remember Puempel is because he was a first rounder who was coasting his rep on his first CHL year. By the time D+2 came around, Puempel largely would have been thought of a pick much like Ottawa fifth rounder Vincent Dunn (not the D man), and thats really not a good thing.
When you start off with incorrect assumption it makes a bit more sense why you'd come up with some sort of nonsense means of comparing them. Nobody cares at this point why they got drafted where they did, it's about where he's currently trending, I see Boucher trending as a 3rd or 4th liner
The fact is Puempel was a highly dubious prospect by the time he left the CHL, and likely would not have gotten in NHL games is he was not a first rounder, which was based on first year hype. That is not a good comparison if you hope for Boucher to succeed.

Sure, that's kind of the point I was making, Boucher isn't trending well if you expect offense. His shot is NHL quality, but the rest is in question (from an offense perspective). His physical play and skating likely ensure he'll get a chance in the bottom 6,

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Anybody with some insight as to whether Boucher is likely to be going to the WJHC?

14 points in 15 games and a -1 is pretty pedestrian. Not sure if I was the USA coach whether I'd want this guy out there with international refs in a tight game, either.

Hopefully he goes and it kick starts his season from here on out.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
Anybody with some insight as to whether Boucher is likely to be going to the WJHC?

14 points in 15 games and a -1 is pretty pedestrian. Not sure if I was the USA coach whether I'd want this guy out there with international refs in a tight game, either.

Chris Peters, who follows the US side pretty closely, has him as "Likely" making it, and lists him as 2nd line RW.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast

He’s not a shoe in guy, but he should be there.

Will probably be 6/7 guys competing for 3/4 spots, he’s probably among that grouping.

Can essentially pencil in:

Gauthier
Cooley
Pastujov
Lucius
Snuggerud
McGroaty
Duke
Savage

Leaving guys like:

Tyler Boucher - 19 years old, 14p in 15 games OHL
Isaac Howard - 18 years old, 4p in 12 games NCAA
Jack Hughes - 19 years old, 4p in 12 games NCAA
Jackson Blake - 19 years old, 17p in 15 games NCAA
Ty Voit - 19 years old, 40p in 24 games OHL
Will Smith - 17 years old, 45p in 24 games U-18
Kenny Conners - 19 years old, 17p in 15 games NCAA
Charlie Stramel - 18 years old, 4p in 12 games NCAA
Cam Lund - 18 years old, 12p in 15 games NCAA
Ryan Leonard - 17 years old, 33p in 22 games U-18

I would think Boucher fits into that group pretty well, I’d be surprised if he weren’t among the guys making the final roster.

Would think Smith, Boucher, Stramel, Blake and Connors are the most likely out of those listed.

It's a weak crop from the States, one of the weakest in a decade for sure. Will be led by 18 year olds.

Last edited:

SENATOR

Feb 6, 2004
Ottawa
Boucher would be the best enforcer in hockey right now, better than Chris Neal. Just bring him over!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad