Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
You could write the paragraph above about almost any prospect in the world.

Important perspective. Boucher is tied for 6th on his team in scoring. An OHL team.
While producing devastating body checks and a massive physical presence and leading the team in goals. You can try and cherry pick it anyway you want but his skillset translates and is unique relative to the other players on his team.

I actually have never seen a fan base cheer against one of its players like this. Its absolutely bizarre.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
While producing devastating body checks and a massive physical presence and leading the team in goals. You can try and cherry pick it anyway you want but his skillset translates and is unique relative to the other players on his team.

I actually have never seen a fan base cheer against one of its players like this. Its absolutely bizarre.
I don't get the sense people are cheering against him at all.

People are just a little leery of getting too invested in him this early. Devil's Advocate could say the optimists are making it seem like every little thing he does is great (a toe drag that didn't work out, making it to the slot to get a shot off, laying a big hit).

I have been trying to ignore this thread as it seems completely polarized. Either he isn't doing enough or the evidence is there he will be an impact player. He needs to play well, make the US junior team (hopefully have a good showing) then finish strong and see if he can get some playing time with Belleville to close the season.

Next training camp I will be a bit more interested again.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

People are just a little leery of getting too invested in him this early. Devil's Advocate could say the optimists are making it seem like every little thing he does is great (a toe drag that didn't work out, making it to the slot to get a shot off, laying a big hit).

I have been trying to ignore this thread as it seems completely polarized. Either he isn't doing enough or the evidence is there he will be an impact player. He needs to play well, make the US junior team (hopefully have a good showing) then finish strong and see if he can get some playing time with Belleville to close the season.

I have just been preaching patience. Players of Bouchers ilk with the rough development (injuries switching teams/leagues mid year) are going to take time. The moment he does start to do well posters look for any negative possible. Instead of just letting a teenager develop. They would rather be right than the player succeed. Like I said its bizarre.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

He's definately polarizing, not surprising given where he was drafted and his uneven path since then. He's had a good start to the year, had he had a season similar to Ostapchuk last year, even without the playoff performance, I think more people would be high on him right now

Reactions: Cosmix

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
I have been trying to ignore this thread as it seems completely polarized.
I don't see many people calling him a bust or a future NHLer at all in this thread. Just fans acknowledging that he was drafted too high, but despite his draft position, he has the raw tools to be an NHLer and is starting to refine them in junior. Its fun to watch prospect development, no one is saying he'll come in as a wrecking ball right away, but its nice to see him show how he can use some of the tools in his box

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He's off to a much better start compared to last season offensively, not really comparable.

It's essentially what I figured he'd do, somewhere in the 1.00-1.20 ppg range that you should expect from any forward you draft playing in the CHL..

That is an average offensive total for an NHL pick anywhere in the draft, definitely far below average, statistically, for a high pick. Boucher isn't a typical high pick, and there is nothing wring with that. We should all be able to agree he was selected too high. He's not an offensive player, he's a forechecking, energy, physical banger who can chip in with the puck on his stick.

He's not going to be in the NHL because of his offensive game. It's his valued traits, that are not extremally common, that will keep him in the league.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
unless they have a better angle, you cant tell if he did or not. Punishing the result, not the hit looks like to me.
Length definitely to do with the injury, any suspension for the hit is because of the injury.

It’s pretty plain to see he uses his leg to lever the player down with his arms after the hit though, to me at least, have been hit that way that many times.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Length definitely to do with the injury, any suspension for the hit is because of the injury.

It’s pretty plain to see he uses his leg to lever the player down with his arms after the hit though, to me at least, have been hit that way that many times.

this angle shows it better for people with bad eyesight like me.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Yeah he brings his leg behind the guy as he goes for the hit and pushes him back across it to ensure the guy goes down, unfortunately the kid seems to hit his head on the ice.

Length is definitely because of the injury but the way he hit was dangerous.

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
this angle shows it better for people with mad eyesight like me.

This is a slew foot 10 times out of 10 by OHL (and minor hockey for that matter) rules. And slew footing in the OHL is a match penalty and then they look at it for supplemental.

Can debate the length of the suspension (and having Boucher miss yet more development time is definitely not good) but anyone saying this is a clean hit needs to take the homer glasses off.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Reminds me of the Cooke on Karlsson. It's dangerous to lift your leg to try and pin/ trip a player while making a hit.

With that said, Matt Cooke might actually be a decent comp for Boucher.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This is a slew foot 10 times out of 10 by OHL (and minor hockey for that matter) rules. And slew footing in the OHL is a match penalty and then they look at it for supplemental.

Can debate the length of the suspension (and having Boucher miss yet more development time is definitely not good) but anyone saying this is a clean hit needs to take the homer glasses off.
The slew foot was really hard to see from the other angle which I suspect is what most people saw first and made their original assessment on.

6 games is definitely punishing the result not necessarily the act, but that doesn't make the act itself clean.

I'm fine with the suspension seeing it from that angle, these are kids, no reason to have hits like that.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The slew foot was really hard to see from the other angle which I suspect is what most people saw first and made their original assessment on.

6 games is definitely punishing the result not necessarily the act, but that doesn't make the act itself clean.

I'm fine with the suspension seeing it from that angle, these are kids, no reason to have hits like that.
I thought it was a pretty plain to see slewfoot from the first video, though I wasn’t sure of the severity. Was apparent he uses his back leg to propel him down though.

The second video makes it much more apparent. Extremely, extremely dirty play.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I thought it was a pretty plain to see slewfoot from the first video, though I wasn’t sure of the severity. Was apparent he uses his back leg to propel him down though.

The second video makes it much more apparent. Extremely, extremely dirty play.
The first video I saw was a long shot, being recorded by a cellphone of a guys TV, which I watched on my cell, so maybe it wasn't so much the angle as my poor eyesight...

But yeah, I guess once I knew what I was looking for you can see it pretty plainly even from that angle.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
The first video I saw was a long shot, being recorded by a cellphone of a guys TV, which I watched on my cell, so maybe it wasn't so much the angle as my poor eyesight...

But yeah, I guess once I knew what I was looking for you can see it pretty plainly even from that angle.
Yeah that’s the same video I saw.

I’ve been in both those positions enough to know what happened off screen I think, probably more so me deducing what I assumed happened than what I actually saw, the original video doesn’t show much, you’re right.

Reactions: Micklebot

Ad

Latest posts

Ad

Ad