Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Lucic was a unicorn in his prime. One of the most unique players of his generation imo.
Yeah, if Boucher is as mean, skilled, strong OR physical as Lucic was in his prime, that will be huge for us. Even matching one of his qualities is optimistic.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
I'll get a Boucher tatoo if ever becomes near Lucic, who is probably one of the most intimidating players of all time

I just hope he can fight and do close to what Chris Neil could do. That would be already a "best case scenario" IMO

Should have drafted Sillinger, trade him at peak value for a Boucher and picks/assets

I'm not a big fan of this "it's my guy so I'll draft him first overall" mentality. That's how you fail.

Thankfully, our drafting since 2008 has been fantastic for the most part. Not too many Boucher/Roger/Englund picks

Reactions: bicboi64

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I'll get a Boucher tatoo if ever becomes near Lucic, who is probably one of the most intimidating players of all time

I just hope he can fight and do close to what Chris Neil could do. That would be already a very best case scenario IMO

Should have drafted Sillinger, trade him at peak value for a Boucher and picks/assets

I'm not a big fan of this "it's my guy so I'll draft him first overall" mentality. That's how you fail.

Thankfully, our drafting since 2008 has been fantastic for the most part. Not too many Boucher/Roger/Englund picks
You may be correct about Boucher but there are no absolutes in development. I’m not hopeful but I’m not willing to die on that hill because there is something there, can Mann find a way to nurture it next year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
You may be correct about Boucher but there are no absolutes in development. I’m not hopeful but I’m not willing to die on that hill because there is something there, can Mann find a way to nurture it next year.

If he's our next Chris Neil, I'll be very very happy. You need these guys that help you grow balls going on the battlefield. So at least you die with panache

ksens

Mar 8, 2006
If he's our next Chris Neil, I'll be very very happy. You need these guys that help you grow balls going on the battlefield. So at least you die with panache

In junior Neil was a point per game player with 200+ PIMs, in his final two seasons in the OHL. He could and did score, hit and fight. And was drafted in the 6th round.

How about we put down the bong and let Boucher play a junior season without getting hurt and actually contribute at a level comparable to an NHL Draft pick (let alone a top-10 pick) level before we talk about Neil (let alone Lucic or Wilson, wtf) comparables.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'm not sure Boucher should go back to junior, with his size & the way he hits it might be better for his development to play with men. He seems to play a heavy pro game & made some pretty nice passes & tips to players that junior kids don't see & can't make. I think he would be great on a line with Greig in Belleville & the two could really develop some chemistry together. I'm not sure junior is going to help his development as much as playing with Greig could & I think he needs a coach to push him more as Mann could do. If he returns to junior than fine, but his game looks to fit the pro game more than junior.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I'm not sure Boucher should go back to junior, with his size & the way he hits it might be better for his development to play with men. He seems to play a heavy pro game & made some pretty nice passes & tips to players that junior kids don't see & can't make. I think he would be great on a line with Greig in Belleville & the two could really develop some chemistry together. I'm not sure junior is going to help his development as much as playing with Greig could & I think he needs a coach to push him more as Mann could do. If he returns to junior than fine, but his game looks to fit the pro game more than junior.
I have wondered this as well. I’m fine either way, but it does seem like junior would be easier for him to get points and offensive situations, while AHL would be better to hone his physical skills against men instead of boys.

He could get offensive opportunity in the AHL if that was a goal, but I don’t think he’ll get to advance his physicality in junior against kids. Probably get suspended a bunch if he did.

Reactions: aragorn

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
He lost way too many pucks at the rookie tourney while trying to make pretty regular plays for a top 6 forward. He needs the puck on his stick with time and space to make a play with it.

The added skill, pressure and development of opponents in the AHL would limit that time and space.

Junior is a better option, even if he uses his size and strength to dominate opponents a little too much, I’d rather see him do that and build confidence than be limited to a banger role in Belleville.

Last edited:

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I think it would be better for his development offensively to go back. He should have the puck more and have a less narrow scope. It will be good if he can be dominant other than just physically in the CHL before turning Pro.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
He did not do well in the NCAA last year against players that sit between CHL and the AHL. I still think it is too big a jump, I'd prefer to see him get time as a top end player on the junior team as opposed to third line AHL duty.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
He did not do well in the NCAA last year against players that sit between CHL and the AHL. I still think it is too big a jump, I'd prefer to see him get time as a top end player on the junior team as opposed to third line AHL duty.

The NCAA is absolutely not the right league for a teenaged PWF that excels at brusing and getting in people's faces. See Brady Tkachuk as exhibit B.

That's not the type of hockey they play down there.

If Boucher had been on a powerhouse team like Matt Tkachuk was on the London Knights, he would have been crushing the OHL if he went that route. I have no doubts.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
The NCAA is absolutely not the right league for a teenaged PWF that excels at brusing and getting in people's faces. See Brady Tkachuk as exhibit B.

If Boucher had been on a powerhouse team like Matt Tkachuk was on the London Knights, he would have been crushing the OHL if he went that route. I have no doubts.

You're right. It's obvious when you look at the numbers.

In their D+1:

Matt Tkachuk put up 48 pts in 76 games in the NHL

Tyler Boucher put up 17 pts in 41 NCAA/OHL games.

One can safely assume that had the Senators had any sense and played Tyler Boucher in the NHL last year, he would have had a 50 pt season.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
You're right. It's obvious when you look at the numbers.

In their D+1:

Matt Tkachuk put up 48 pts in 76 games in the NHL

Tyler Boucher put up 17 pts in 41 NCAA/OHL games.

One can safely assume that had the Senators had any sense and played Tyler Boucher in the NHL last year, he would have had a 50 pt season.

Get some sleep there champ, your embarrassing yourself...

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
In junior Neil was a point per game player with 200+ PIMs, in his final two seasons in the OHL. He could and did score, hit and fight. And was drafted in the 6th round.

How about we put down the bong and let Boucher play a junior season without getting hurt and actually contribute at a level comparable to an NHL Draft pick (let alone a top-10 pick) level before we talk about Neil (let alone Lucic or Wilson, wtf) comparables.

How about you read the whole conversation or even my other posts on Boucher and see how high I am on him?

At this point, I have basically zero NHL expectations about him.

Last edited:

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011

Brady? He of 31 points in 40 games in his draft year? And leading a high end team in assists and 4th in points? And that was as the youngest player on the team. Thats a bad example if you want to say its not the right league for that type of player.

Boucher went to the same team that was even better than the one Brady played on, and had 3 points in 17 games. Offensively he was far outclassed by a younger 7th round pick D man.

And offensively Brady has not show Matts upside yet.

Boucher has a long way to go, I hope he crushes the OHL this year, but its a massive leap over what he did last year. He will need to do 3x the point per game for me to call crushing it.

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Brady? He of 31 points in 40 games in his draft year? And leading a high end team in assists and 4th in points? And that was as the youngest player on the team. Thats a bad example if you want to say its not the right league for that type of player.

Boucher went to the same team that was even better than the one Brady played on, and had 3 points in 17 games. Offensively he was far outclassed by a younger 7th round pick D man.

And offensively Brady has not show Matts upside yet.

Boucher has a long way to go, I hope he crushes the OHL this year, but its a massive leap over what he did last year. He will need to do 3x the point per game for me to call crushing it.
Brady was a 3rd OV pick and his stats were considered to be highly suspect. Countless people used it to say his ceiling was that of a 2nd/3rd line grinder. You must have a terrible memory if you don't remember the conversations about his points in college (or lackthereof).

And I mean Hell, he's already posted better seasons in the NHL offensively than he ever did before he turned pro. He's a way better NHL star than he was a college or junior player, which is exactly my point.

Tyler Boucher was a 10th OV pick in a weak draft that was barely scouted. And he was expected and known to be a long term project from day one... Different players and different expectations for the picks.

Look at a player like Alex Tuch. A guy who was thoroughly outscored and outplayed by a younger Colin White during their time together at B.C....but which one turned out to be a PWF and the much better pro player in the end though?

My point remains, college isn't necessarily the best place for a freshman power forward to develop or shine.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad