Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Seriously!

Like Senators fans want him to fail or not reach his potential. Why? So they can feel their anonymous post on fan board is right?

This guy has people going 🤪.
Those people aren’t senators fans imo.

Reactions: bert and OD99

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I bet Boucher ends up more valuable for us than all of our first round forward picks selected outside the top 6 since 2007 - that’s Logan, Colin, Shayne, Jim, Curtis etc.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Unless they are Brannstrom haters. Then they really are haters or so I’m told.

Yes because a lot of the Brannstrom hate is based solely on his size. His every mistake is highlighted on here and his excellent play downplayed.

Keep getting your little sarcastic jabs in though if that's how you get your kicks lol.

Reactions: Agent Zuuuub

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Nah, I'm a die-hard fan. I'm just not deluded in thinking that everything the org does is a good move.
I’m talking about the posters who seem to want him to fail. Or are putting an unreasonably low ceiling on him before he gets a chance.

Reactions: bert and OD99

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
I’m talking about the posters who seem to want him to fail. Or are putting an unreasonably low ceiling on him before he gets a chance.
Ya, I think most are saying the same thing...

He needs to show he is legit and while I may have doubts I will be super happy to be wrong.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Yes because a lot of the Brannstrom hate is based solely on his size. His every mistake is highlighted on here and his excellent play downplayed.

Keep getting your little sarcastic jabs in though if that's how you get your kicks lol.
Brannstrom is the real victim here.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012

Well technically you can clump me into the "honest evaluation" camp as I believe he's another Kole Sherwood. Not being a hater, just what I see. I hope I'm wrong as I want the team to be good in the future, but nothing he's done up to this point has changed my view yet.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
It's tough when the team has a shitty season and you're getting hyped about potentially adding a McTavish, Beniers, Clarke, Eklund etc but you end up with Boucher. I mean could you guys imagine adding Clarke to our RD?

A Sanderson - Clarke pairing long term. Would have been stupid insane.

It's in no way Tyler Bouchers fault he was picked where he was though. I'm cheering for him.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Yes drafting Tyler Boucher at 10 was a stupid decision and someone from the scouting staff should have been fired by now for that. Imo.

Still feeling that way does not mean I am not excited for Boucher as a prospect. I think he can be a middle 6 winger who can skate, shoot, hit, and play mean.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He’s a fine 2nd round type prospect, who will be a great soldier for the team, who has the unfair expectations of a 10th overall selection.

Needs to find a way to stay healthy, which he’s obviously struggling with, and get reps in. Have a good year and come into Belleville next year looking to make a name for himself.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
He’s a fine 2nd round type prospect, who will be a great soldier for the team, who has the unfair expectations of a 10th overall selection.

Needs to find a way to stay healthy, which he’s obviously struggling with, and get reps in. Have a good year and come into Belleville next year looking to make a name for himself.
Yeah, what's the latest injury that kept him out of the lineup tonight?

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
What Boucher becomes at the peak of his career will determine whether or not he lived up to the 10th overall selection. He has the raw tools of a high end power forward and was taken in a very similar range to where other power forward prospects with similar tools were taken.

Here are a list of power forwards that were taken within a similar range:
Chris Kreider 19th overall 2009 NHL Draft,
Gabriel Landeskog 2nd overall 2011 NHL Draft,
J.T. Miller 15th overall 2011 NHL Draft,
Tom Wilson 16th overall 2012 NHL Draft,
Bo Horvat 9th overall 2013 NHL Draft,
Alex Tuch 18th overall 2014 NHL Draft,
Lawson Crouse 11th overall 2015 NHL Draft,
Josh Norris 19th overall 2017 NHL Draft,
Brady Tkachuk 4th overall 2018 NHL Draft

Those power forwards are all very valuable players and what they eventually became justified their draft position. If those players ended up having a meaningful decrease in production as opposed to what they actually produced, they would still be valuable but, people would be much more critical of their draft position.

Boucher has some similar attributes to those power forwards listed above. Some of them may have demonstrated more at a similar age but Boucher was a raw prospect who hadn't played as many games and was drafted in an abnormal underscouted draft season. If Boucher is able to successfully put his tools together, he has the potential to be right up there among those other power forwards listed. In that case he will justify his draft position. If his peak production is meaningfully lower than the above listed players then his draft position will be criticized in the same way those other players would be if their peak production was meaningfully lower.

Boucher demonstrated some very good things in preseason so let's see what kind of steps he can take this season. There are good raw tools there and now it is just about being patient enough to see what he ends up getting developed into.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Imagine thinking a player getting injured is something they have control over.
How on earth did you draw that conclusion from what Bert wrote?

If Boucher is potentially injury prone and his body can't hold up to his play style, that's concerning. Nothing about fault there, just a variable that might limit the players ability to reach his potential.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Imagine not knowing that staying healthy is a skill and it's important. Why do you think Murray was such a liability here. You're a fan of this team I assume. Being injury prone is unfortunately an issue for some players. For a few reasons, development. Being consistent, developing chemistry with teammates. He's been hurt alot hope it's not a trend.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
What Boucher becomes at the peak of his career will determine whether or not he lived up to the 10th overall selection. He has the raw tools of a high end power forward and was taken in a very similar range to where other power forward prospects with similar tools were taken.

Here are a list of power forwards that were taken within a similar range:
Chris Kreider 19th overall 2009 NHL Draft,
Gabriel Landeskog 2nd overall 2011 NHL Draft,
J.T. Miller 15th overall 2011 NHL Draft,
Tom Wilson 16th overall 2012 NHL Draft,
Bo Horvat 9th overall 2013 NHL Draft,
Alex Tuch 18th overall 2014 NHL Draft,
Lawson Crouse 11th overall 2015 NHL Draft,
Josh Norris 19th overall 2017 NHL Draft,
Brady Tkachuk 4th overall 2018 NHL Draft

Those power forwards are all very valuable players and what they eventually became justified their draft position. If those players ended up having a meaningful decrease in production as opposed to what they actually produced, they would still be valuable but, people would be much more critical of their draft position.

Boucher has some similar attributes to those power forwards listed above. Some of them may have demonstrated more at a similar age but Boucher was a raw prospect who hadn't played as many games and was drafted in an abnormal underscouted draft season. If Boucher is able to successfully put his tools together, he has the potential to be right up there among those other power forwards listed. In that case he will justify his draft position. If his peak production is meaningfully lower than the above listed players then his draft position will be criticized in the same way those other players would be if their peak production was meaningfully lower.

Boucher demonstrated some very good things in preseason so let's see what kind of steps he can take this season. There are good raw tools there and now it is just about being patient enough to see what he ends up getting developed into.
I honestly see zero similarities in any of the players mentioned other than size and being a power forward.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Tyler Boucher is quite the thing on these boards

You'd think over time people would learn. There are countless situations over the past 5 years where people are rabid in their belief that the team f***ed up with something it did, be it a draft pick or trade return only to be left anonymously eating crow and firm in their belief that they know better.

Tyler Boucher is the latest lightening rod. If he pans out as a player, few will ever say on these boards that they were wrong. And the cycle will continue on to next year's draft or TDL where the team should have done something, literally anything, other than what it did.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Depends on the injury. Lindros was told over and over to stop admiring his skates....and dude paid a heavy price for not heeding that advice. With Karlsson, there's not much you could do to prevent an idiot form stomping on his leg.

With Boucher, I'd imagine he'd be better off picking his spots a bit better. Getting stronger. And some of it is bad luck.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008

You'd think over time people would learn. There are countless situations over the past 5 years where people are rabid in their belief that the team f***ed up with something it did, be it a draft pick or trade return only to be left anonymously eating crow and firm in their belief that they know better.

Tyler Boucher is the latest lightening rod. If he pans out as a player, few will ever say on these boards that they were wrong. And the cycle will continue on to next year's draft or TDL where the team should have done something, literally anything, other than what it did.

What are these countless things people are eating crow about ?

Reactions: Rodzilla

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
What are these countless things people are eating crow about ?
Speaking strictly draft picks, I'd say the most recent examples of people being upset with draft picks are

White over Konecny/Boeser
Thomson over Hienola/McMichael/Tomassino
Pinto over Kaliyev/Brink
Tkachuk over Dobson/Hughes/Zadina
Sanderson over Drysdale/Perfetti/Rossi/Quinn

And of course Boucher over Silinger.

In some cases the outage was stronger or more universal than others, Pinto was probably the most universally disliked pick and seems to have turned out pretty great. White or Thomson are probably next in terms of how universally the puck was disliked, though White did have supporters the alternative options were well liked. White hasn't panned out and it's too early for Thomson. Tkachuk and Sanderson more split opinions and in both cases the alternative options are still pretty enticing (aside from the at the time favourite of many, Zadina)

I'm definitely eating crow on Pinto, I liked the potential at the time but thought other options had as good of potential and were more sure things, and time will tell if I eat crow on Thomson. He's panned out better than I expected already so I guess things are looking good,

Reactions: aragorn

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I don’t get the concern about people eating crow. This is a message board, if people never have to eat crow the discussions will be completely lame and essentially limited to “oh we drafted this guy, I guess we’ll wait and see”, “oh this is the D we’re running, let’s wait and see”.

Hot takes and debates are fun.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad