Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
Yeah, it's not valueless, but a lacklustre showing doesn't worry me. There are guys who are using this as a tryout, whereas a lot of other guys will just use it to get their legs under them. No matter what, you will play a lot different when you come into a game with one mindset vs the other.

It says a lot about Crookshank that he's by far the most talented player in this rookie tourney for the Sens and he's also the hardest working by a country mile.

He's hungrier than everyone else, and he's better than everyone else. You can see he wants to make the team and is taking the opportunity very seriously. Boucher still has a lot of work to do before playing in the NHL.

Reactions: Cosmix and Hutz

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Boucher was decent today. He won a small number of puck battles and had a couple of decent chances. I haven't seen enough though to label him a sure fire NHL player though.

Reactions: Cosmix

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Boucher was never a person we were going to draft to impact Sens in couple years. He is a 3-4 year project before he gets a look. I'll be worried if he doesn't hit PPG next year in OHL, until then I'll keep my reservations.

I expect him back to OHL for his 20-21 year old season, and then one year or half season in AHL (depending on how his offense fairs since he will already be physically mature and ready for the NHL game).

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
I'd suspect these guys don't do anything other than give coaches a chance to look at pace.

For a prospect to make a team, he needs to play a role with a defined structure. Mann mentioned needing to coach the junior out of the kids. That was a shinny game played by talented kids. Nothing more.
I think some people might have a different impression of what the rookie tournament is for than what is actually the case. For example, this is what Troy Mann had to say in his tsn1200 interview from last week:

Mann: Very important for players who have been dealing with injuries to get ice time

"There are a number of things we are trying to figure out, one is their conditioning. How well did they condition themselves for the on ice portion that start here pretty quickly on Thursday. How about the strength, with the off ice is certainly a big one with these young players because we are always looking for them to gain strength over the course of summers on their frame."

Then he mentioned the key thing:
"To me just as important as any and all of that is how you process information. You know. We are not just going into this rookie showcase this weekend and letting them go out with their sticks and throw the puck out there and play. There is going to be a lot of information given to these kids over 48 hours here, and the guys that can process the information is certainly important in terms of playing within a system. I'm sure there will be more information as you move forwards as well because DJ, he gets at it right away in day one as well. So I think there is three components to it: how well are you processing information, how much strength did you put on over the course of the summer, and what is your overall conditioning in terms of keeping up with the pace of ultimately pro hockey. "

I think some fans are under the impression that these tournaments are about letting players do what they want and showcasing their abilities. Whereas these tournaments are primarily about preparing prospects for an NHL training camp. As Troy Mann stated, how well these prospects can process information is very important. The organization will be more interested to see if the prospects can implement what they are being taught, take on assignments and play the role that is asked of them than having flashy performances.

Reactions: JD1 and Icelevel

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
The compete level, effort and puck skills have been there so far this tournament. I think he just needs confidence and a couple things to click and he will start turning heads.

I concur with what others have said in that he is going to *slowly* emerge as a solid and useful player, we're not seeing it now but I think the skill (and right attitude) is there to progress from. He isn't exactly flashy but he is doing a lot of little things right and it is going to start to pay off especially as he moves up in competition.
As a pro, Boucher will be a lot like Tkachuk and Norris. A lot of people overlook the positive contributions of those two on most shifts because they aren't particularly flashy players. Many on here assumed that both of their upsides were around that of a 3rd liner before they demonstrated otherwise. They do a lot of things that would make them effective depth players but they have also found a way to produce some impressive offensive numbers on top of that.

Boucher will have some similarities as a pro. The fact that he isn't overly flashy will lead to some people overlooking his positive contributions. If he can put his tools together and with a bit of luck he could similarly produce at much higher rates than a lot of people expected just like Tkachuk and Norris. If the tools don't quite come together then he could still end up similar to those two but with much lower production overall.

I look forward to seeing his continued development.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Probably had his best game of the showcase today against Buffalo. He was finally asserting himself physically and making plays below the goal line.
That's good to hear, I missed this one too, so it seems like he's gotten better with every game? I still have pretty high hopes for him, but at the se time I'm not expecting him to ever live up to what many expect from his draft position.

Reactions: Cosmix

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Impressive first preseason game by Boucher. He also got a lot of praise from DJ Smith after the game. It will be interesting to see how the rest of his training camp goes and how he performs in other preseason games.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I think some people might have a different impression of what the rookie tournament is for than what is actually the case. For example, this is what Troy Mann had to say in his tsn1200 interview from last week:

Mann: Very important for players who have been dealing with injuries to get ice time

Then he mentioned the key thing:

I think some fans are under the impression that these tournaments are about letting players do what they want and showcasing their abilities. Whereas these tournaments are primarily about preparing prospects for an NHL training camp. As Troy Mann stated, how well these prospects can process information is very important. The organization will be more interested to see if the prospects can implement what they are being taught, take on assignments and play the role that is asked of them than having flashy performances.
I think the rookie tournament is both an opportunity for players to show their abilities while also demonstrating that they are coachable by playing the way the coaching staff asks them to (both strategy and tactics).

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Am I right in thinking that Boucher does not have to follow normal CHL - NHL - AHL age requirements and could be assigned to the AHL if that is what the Sens chose to do?
Coming from the NCAA he was officially loaned to the 67's but could have played in the AHL if there was a CHL shut down last year.
I think the Sens commit to the 67's for the year on a loan basis.

Anyone confirm this one way or another?

Reactions: aragorn

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Am I right in thinking that Boucher does not have to follow normal CHL - NHL - AHL age requirements and could be assigned to the AHL if that is what the Sens chose to do?
Coming from the NCAA he was officially loaned to the 67's but could have played in the AHL if there was a CHL shut down last year.
I think the Sens commit to the 67's for the year on a loan basis.

Anyone confirm this one way or another?
I would like to know this too. I’d imagine that he’ll be sent back to junior, but then part of me wonders whether his game would be more suited to bigger and stronger players in the AHL.

Reactions: aragorn

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
My understanding is that the 67's never had control of Tyler Boucher's rights therefore he can play in the AHL.

When he left BU the Senators signed him to a pro contract and then loaned him to the 67's (as mentioned by @Sens of Anarchy ) which means that the NHL-CHL transfer agreement doesn't apply since the 67's never controlled his rights.

Considering the timing of the pro contract (immediately after leaving BU) it seems that PD tendered it so that his rights would not be surrendered to the 67's and so that the Sens could control where he played.

Not a bad move considering how 'delicate' Boucher's development needs to be handled.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Interesting scenario to have the flexibility for the org. However the 67s are still the best option for for him. Best place to develop the current tools he is lacking which are offensive hockey sense and tons of reps in important situations.
Ya, I don't see AHL as the right place for him yet, and had he been drafted from the OHL he'd have been eligible for the AHL starting next year anyways so it's a moot point imo.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Interesting scenario to have the flexibility for the org. However the 67s are still the best option for for him. Best place to develop the current tools he is lacking which are offensive hockey sense and tons of reps in important situations.
Shouldn't see anything but OHL games this year, aside from the late AHL call up if the 67's bow out early.

Go down the road, put up 75ish points and develop the areas that have been stalled the past 2 seasons, and come back next season looking to make a positive impact in Belleville and gun for a callup role for the 4th line next season.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Another solid preseason game for Boucher. He has performed well in training camp.
Agree I enjoyed how heavy of a game he played. If people are patient they're going to like him. Just dont expect a typical top 10 pick style player. He needs 2/3 years unfortunately. But he is going to be a fun player to cheer for eventually. Somewhere between Clutterbuck and Wilson in impact and style.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Agree I enjoyed how heavy of a game he played. If people are patient they're going to like him. Just dont expect a typical top 10 pick style player. He needs 2/3 years unfortunately. But he is going to be a fun player to cheer for eventually. Somewhere between Clutterbuck and Wilson in impact and style.
I think he is much closer to being NHL ready than that but the Sens will likely want to put him in a place where they can get the most development out of him. He is going to be a fun player when he is fully ready and could be quite the powerforward.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I think he is much closer to being NHL ready than that but the Sens will likely want to put him in a place where they can get the most development out of him. He is going to be a fun player when he is fully ready and could be quite the powerforward.
One underrated thing I am seeing in Boucher is that he is almost always on the right side of the puck. If you watch his defensive positioning whether in the O zone, neutral zone or D he positions himself very responsibly. He is able to do this because he is a good skater, he makes good reads and he is coachable, imo. A lot of people will dismiss it because we would rather see offence from him but to me a responsible game like this is a very good tell, it shows a good pro styled foundation.

Compare it to just about any rookie we have right now other than Crookshank, Greig or Kastelic and it is very mature and shows a pretty clear NHL floor. Take Sokolov for example. He does not make good reads, is not a strong skater and doesn't look like anything comes naturally. Sokolov is frequently on the wrong side of the puck and for that I think he is a long way from being a reliable NHLer. Jarventie is a bit better but his low compete level means he's playing catch up too often.

Boucher is ahead of those two. In terms of having a mature serviceable NHL styled game I put him only behind Kastelic, Greig and Crookshank out of our prospects (would have said Kelly too but he had an awful game tonight at a time when he needed to stand out).

Reactions: Icelevel and Korpse

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
Will be perfect timing if he breaks into the league in 2 years as we'll need an injection of youth and cheap skill.

KnuckChuckinTkachuk

Give'yer balls a tug
Jan 23, 2011
The ONLY thing that Boucher needs this year is to play frequently and stay healthy. He will be the 67's most important forward, here's hoping he can play a full season and dominate.

Reactions: bert

Ad

Ad

Ad