Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (RW/LW) - Don`t sleep on Tyler Boucher

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
He's been invisible this game. Not even a hit and Sens have been getting hammered all game by Montreal. You'd think that would be there type of game he'd show up for.

Reactions: Cosmix

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Yet Boucher looked as good as Slaf.

They shouldnt get too excited yet. I am happy they landed number 1 in terrible draft year.

Hopefully

Man, they're having a blast right now

"Xhekaj will make up for when Gryba tried to kill Eller. Buckle up, Sens fans, you gonna hate him so much"

"Trudeau>Sanderson"

"Ça sent la coupe!"

:laugh: Seriously, hockey life would be boring without Habs/Leafs fans

Reactions: Icelevel

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Solid game by Boucher. He was one of the more impressive Sens players today. He has had a good tournament so far and looks to have set himself up well for training camp.

Emrasie

Mar 13, 2019
Solid game by Boucher. He was one of the more impressive Sens players today. He has had a good tournament so far and looks to have set himself up well for training camp.
Seriously? I saw nothing really good from him today, he was mostly invisible. Only one Sens was good, it was Crookshank.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I'm glad to hear others have noticed him more than me, I missed today's game but aside from a little bit early in the other game I didn't feel he stood out that much. Idk, it's probably the stigma of his draft spot more than anything (well that and I was folding laundry while watching so I could easily have missed a good shift here and there), he's going to be a player for sure but I expected more.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
The compete level, effort and puck skills have been there so far this tournament. I think he just needs confidence and a couple things to click and he will start turning heads.

I concur with what others have said in that he is going to *slowly* emerge as a solid and useful player, we're not seeing it now but I think the skill (and right attitude) is there to progress from. He isn't exactly flashy but he is doing a lot of little things right and it is going to start to pay off especially as he moves up in competition.

Reactions: RAFI BOMB

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
Seriously? I saw nothing really good from him today, he was mostly invisible. Only one Sens was good, it was Crookshank.
Yes. I was impressed with what I saw.

Boucher has mentioned in previous interviews that his objective is to make the team out of camp and from what I saw today he is doing all the things that will give him an extended look and provide him the opportunity to be in in consideration for a roster spot, all things considered.

He played with a lot of poise and composure. The most noticeable thing was how effective he was in the defensive zone; he did an excellent job of getting in shooting and passing lanes, disrupting plays and forcing turnovers. Frequently he would disrupt a play in the defensive zone, regain possession and either drive the play up the ice or make smart subtle plays that lead to the team getting out of the defensive zone. He demonstrated a very effective power game in the defensive zone where he would gain inside position, protect the puck and either drive out of the zone or make the pass to his teammate.

His speed and skating were on full display as nearly every time he had the puck he was able to drive the puck deep in the offensive zone. He won the majority of the 50/50 battles for the puck and did an excellent job supporting the puck carrier in order to facilitate sustained possession of the puck. He was very physical but played more of a structured game. He could have run around looking for big hits but instead he prioritized using his tools to help give the team the best chance to win by playing with solid positioning, making smart subtle plays and using his physicality to win puck battles and make plays. He still threw very hard hits that rattled the boards but he wasn't looking to run around as much.

From a physical perspective he already has a reputation as the Habs players were not comfortable holding onto the puck when he was near them. The opposition frequently looked to dish pucks as soon as he was near them. Rarely did any of them look to take a hit to make a play or risk taking a big hit to try to skate the puck up the ice when they knew he was on the ice potentially lining them up. His presence impacted how they played.

In the offensive zone, he won inside position in puck battles around the net and as a result put himself in a position to get quality shots off if other players could get him the puck. He had some good shots on net and was able to get help generate some sustained time in the offensive zone. With Lodin getting injured early, that had a big impact over the Sens ability to generate goals. Boucher may have been able to put himself into some more scoring positions if he had someone like Lodin who could dish him the puck. With Lodin out, Boucher played a responsible game and helped give the Sens a chance to win.

Personally, I see value in that. I like to see players understand what it takes to win games and look to implement that on the ice. It isn't all that flashy or exciting but it does have a big impact when enough players do it.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Yes. I was impressed with what I saw.

Boucher has mentioned in previous interviews that his objective is to make the team out of camp and from what I saw today he is doing all the things that will give him an extended look and provide him the opportunity to be in in consideration for a roster spot, all things considered.

He played with a lot of poise and composure. The most noticeable thing was how effective he was in the defensive zone; he did an excellent job of getting in shooting and passing lanes, disrupting plays and forcing turnovers. Frequently he would disrupt a play in the defensive zone, regain possession and either drive the play up the ice or make smart subtle plays that lead to the team getting out of the defensive zone. He demonstrated a very effective power game in the defensive zone where he would gain inside position, protect the puck and either drive out of the zone or make the pass to his teammate.

His speed and skating were on full display as nearly every time he had the puck he was able to drive the puck deep in the offensive zone. He won the majority of the 50/50 battles for the puck and did an excellent job supporting the puck carrier in order to facilitate sustained possession of the puck. He was very physical but played more of a structured game. He could have run around looking for big hits but instead he prioritized using his tools to help give the team the best chance to win by playing with solid positioning, making smart subtle plays and using his physicality to win puck battles and make plays. He still threw very hard hits that rattled the boards but he wasn't looking to run around as much.

From a physical perspective he already has a reputation as the Habs players were not comfortable holding onto the puck when he was near them. The opposition frequently looked to dish pucks as soon as he was near them. Rarely did any of them look to take a hit to make a play or risk taking a big hit to try to skate the puck up the ice when they knew he was on the ice potentially lining them up. His presence impacted how they played.

In the offensive zone, he won inside position in puck battles around the net and as a result put himself in a position to get quality shots off if other players could get him the puck. He had some good shots on net and was able to get help generate some sustained time in the offensive zone. With Lodin getting injured early, that had a big impact over the Sens ability to generate goals. Boucher may have been able to put himself into some more scoring positions if he had someone like Lodin who could dish him the puck. With Lodin out, Boucher played a responsible game and helped give the Sens a chance to win.

Personally, I see value in that. I like to see players understand what it takes to win games and look to implement that on the ice. It isn't all that flashy or exciting but it does have a big impact when enough players do it.
So you actually watched the game and paid attention. Neat.
;)
I’m with you on Boucher. Some people need to relax.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
There wasn't a lot that was noticeable but Boucher was.

Most of the team seemed pretty passive and slow and he was one of the few that stood out IMO.
You'd hope he'd stand out, I think he was the only 1st rounded on the roster and it's his d+2 year.

That said I've been a bit disappointed with Lodin and Crookshank, I thought they'd be more impactful in games that are more shiny hockey than anything structured.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Ya, I didn't see many (or any?) Senator players stand out in a positive way yesterday. Crookshank was a little better than the rest, but that was a pretty lackluster performance on the whole from the Senator prospects.

Reactions: Icelevel

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
You'd hope he'd stand out, I think he was the only 1st rounded on the roster and it's his d+2 year.

That said I've been a bit disappointed with Lodin and Crookshank, I thought they'd be more impactful in games that are more shiny hockey than anything structured.
I think that is exactly why these games should not be used for evaluation, unless making a positive one (e.x. tourney invite looks great, gets an invite to camp).

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I think that is exactly why these games should not be used for evaluation, unless making a positive one (e.x. tourney invite looks great, gets an invite to camp).
I'd suspect these guys don't do anything other than give coaches a chance to look at pace.

For a prospect to make a team, he needs to play a role with a defined structure. Mann mentioned needing to coach the junior out of the kids. That was a shinny game played by talented kids. Nothing more.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Mann mentioned needing to coach the junior out of the kids.
That's a good point. Unless you have Tim Stutzle's offensive skills, you need to play the game a certain way if you are in the NHL. In junior, guys develop a lot of bad habits playing against some inferior talent and/or 17 year olds who are still boys. Those bad habits get even worse late in the season when their junior coaches start playing the #$%$ out of them during a playoff push. Tired players start conserving energy for the power play or offensive rushes, and aren't always as defensively responsible as they need to be.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think you can evaluate certain skill sets, like his shot is a muffin vs his really can shoot it, or he can dangle, i like his skating ability ect, but how they'll perform in a pro game, not so much. I can get a feel for how they do in a one on situation, but less on how they can support each other in the structure of a pro game.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I think you can evaluate certain skill sets, like his shot is a muffin vs his really can shoot it, or he can dangle, i like his skating ability ect, but how they'll perform in a pro game, not so much. I can get a feel for how they do in a one on situation, but less on how they can support each other in the structure of a pro game.
I think this is accurate. If I'm a scout watching this, I am looking for guys who really jump out at me with a skill that makes me take notice. Speed is obviously the first one - if a guy has NHL calibre jets, you can work on the rest. How is the hockey sense, how hard does he compete, etc. You'd better do something at an NHL calibre because if you are JAG (just a guy) you are on a fast ticket out, to be replaced by the next set of draft picks...

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Yeah, it's not valueless, but a lacklustre showing doesn't worry me. There are guys who are using this as a tryout, whereas a lot of other guys will just use it to get their legs under them. No matter what, you will play a lot different when you come into a game with one mindset vs the other.

Reactions: Micklebot

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Probably had his best game of the showcase today against Buffalo. He was finally asserting himself physically and making plays below the goal line.

Ad

Ad

Ad