Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Even if Sillinger told the Senators he'd prefer not to play here, there were many other players we could have taken.

Bob's final rankings had these guys 10-16:

10. Lucius
11. Sillinger
12. Wallstedt
13. Coronato
14. Lysell
15. Cossa
16. Othmann

There's no doubt that right now, every one of those guys looks much more impressive than Boucher.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Even if Sillinger told the Senators he'd prefer not to play here, there were many other players we could have taken.

Bob's final rankings had these guys 10-16:

10. Lucius
11. Sillinger
12. Wallstedt
13. Coronato
14. Lysell
15. Cossa
16. Othmann

There's no doubt that right now, every one of those guys looks much more impressive than Boucher.
Not impressed in the slightest by Lucius. The rest are looking good to very good.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
This is the kinda pick you put your job on the line for, and the return has really been questionable at this point…

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
His dad only spent 13 games playing here, he was in Clb two whole years, he made lifelong friends there, him and his mom probably never even came over here for suitcase sillinger's brief stint...
Lots of players spend two years or more of their life in NHL cities. They don’t inform other nhl teams that they refuse to play for them

Reactions: dumbdick

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
I didn't say he projected like them.... beyond their eventual role. Silinger plays different than Lazar or whatever failed forward we picked. However, in the end he doesn't project as a PP1 RW or L1 RW. So he slides down and at best is a 2RW. He didn't project to kill penalties or any other secondary role other than scoring where he is blocked by Batherson,. Its an exaggeration, but like adding a future Dadonov or Hoffman to our middle 6 who can't defend or support the team in leveraged situations. He projected like a guy who wouldn't be on the ice late whether you were wining or losing. He can't matchup vs the other teams best and he can't dominate the other teams checkers.

This team is taking players who can play their role exceptionally well. They may miss on Boucher but they took a kids who projects to be elite at his skill set vs good often preferred skill set and one of the easiest positions to replace.
What skill does Boucher project to be elite at?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Elite Power
1. Body Checking / intimidation / forecheck and hopefully puck separation

Notable
1. He has a powerful, heavy shot and shown he can get shots to the net.
2. He has a powerful skating stride.

He has many ideal raw skills to be an elite power forward. On the other hand everything is a bit dysfunctional. If he can connect them all he's going to be a valuable player.

Reactions: aragorn

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Twas a joke...
Okay for the first half of the post I thought it was. And then the second half sounded very serious.

Over my head
Post automatically merged:

I’ve read like 5 or 6 reports that cite his catch and release. And I have to say it is insanely smooth. Now you’ll say “who cares”.

But then I think like two years ago I read this article from a. Former asiistant coach (I think?) (Jack Han? I think?) that wrote about how a players catch and release ability is a massive indicator on how much his team scores off the rush when he’s on the ice. Or something. A bunch of “I read somewhere” but whatever.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Elite Power
1. Body Checking / intimidation / forecheck and hopefully puck separation

Notable
1. He has a powerful, heavy shot and shown he can get shots to the net.
2. He has a powerful skating stride.

He has many ideal raw skills to be an elite power forward. On the other hand everything is a bit dysfunctional. If he can connect them all he's going to be a valuable player.

Boucher isn't that big a guy. 6'1, 205 lbs. Probably tops out at 210. It's one thing to run through junior players at that size, another to do it in the NHL.

He doesn't have the frame to be a physically dominant, and durable, top 6 player like a Tom Wilson or Brady Tkachuk.

The hope is that he's able to become a bottom 6 energy player, like Cal Clutterbuck or Raffi Torres. Or learns to fight and becomes a Chris Neil.

The concerning part is that even those guys put up much better numbers in junior in their post-draft year seasons. Torres had 33 goals and 70 points in 55 games. Clutterbuck scored 35 goals and 89 points in 65 games. Neil put up 26 goals and 72 points in 66 games.

Hell, Parker Kelly was above a PPG at age 19 in the WHL.

Boucher scored at a pace that you'd expect from an undrafted forward bound for OUA.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
how is body checking a skill that you can be elite at? Genuinely asking cause how hard you hit seem negligible in the nhl now What is important in the playoffs is finishing checks but that is almost a 'skill' that all players have and are expected to do. Shouldn't 'Body Checking / intimidation / forecheck and hopefully puck separation
be kinda standard and not really something you spend a 10th overall pick on?

Curious how one can be elite at body checking. Also has he shown to be 'elite' at hitting in the OHL?

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
how is body checking a skill that you can be elite at? Genuinely asking cause how hard you hit seem negligible in the nhl now What is important in the playoffs is finishing checks but that is almost a 'skill' that all players have and are expected to do. Shouldn't 'Body Checking / intimidation / forecheck and hopefully puck separation

Curious how one can be elite at body checking. Also has he shown to be 'elite' at hitting in the OHL?
He’s a massive hitter at his current level. Watching one of his games and close your eyes. The massive bangs are him hitting someone

Reactions: Icelevel

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Yes if you want a team of Ennis', Formenton, and Gaudete's.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Yes if you want a team of Ennis', Formenton, and Gaudete's.
If Boucher put up those numbers in juniors I would be okay with it. At this point he can't be compared to those three. He is projecting to be worse

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
If Boucher put up those numbers in juniors I would be okay with it. At this point he can't be compared to those three. He is projecting to be worse

Ennis has 8G and Gaudette has 4 … I don’t think Boucher will outscore Formy but he can ideally provide 10-20G and a tonne of insulation.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ennis has 8G and Gaudette has 4 … I don’t think Boucher will outscore Formy but he can ideally provide 10-20G and a tonne of insulation.
i though the meant them in juniors?

At this point Boucher is not tracking to be an NHLer. Guys who don't put up numbers usually arent going to make it out of belleville just cause they hit

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
i though the meant them in juniors?

At this point Boucher is not tracking to be an NHLer. Guys who don't put up numbers usually arent going to make it out of belleville just cause they hit

We will see ... He skates fast, shoots hard and often. Well see what they can mold him into too.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
We will see ... He skates fast, shoots hard and often. Well see what they can mold him into too.

Could still become a serviceable player. But 4-5 year projects are not what you're looking for with the 10th overall pick.

Rebuilding teams can't throw away top 10 picks. That's how rebuilds fail. Nobody can deny that at this point, it looks like we threw one away last year.

There's no room for error in this draft now.

JimmySpaetzle

May 16, 2014
Could still become a serviceable player. But 4-5 year projects are not what you're looking for with the 10th overall pick.

Rebuilding teams can't throw away top 10 picks. That's how rebuilds fail. Nobody can deny that at this point, it looks like we threw one away last year.

There's no room for error in this draft now.
Agreed. Not sure why some people try to defend this pick… it was terrible at the time and still looks terrible. Watched a few 67s games and he was invisible. Jack Beck looked infinitely better and he got drafted in the 6th round for Christ’s sake. I’m not saying this guy doesn’t have the chance to be an NHL player, but my word he was a 10th overall pick. Should be looking for a top line player at that spot in the draft, not a 3rd line checker

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Agreed. He's already a man amongst boys, physically speaking. Having that advantage but still not figuring out how to produce is troubling. It doesn't bode well for ever figuring out how to score in the NHL.

Still very early in his career though. Hopefully next year is a big developmental leap for him.
It's the same arguement as Tkachuk I think, he isn't going to score goals like Stutzle or Batherson, he is going to score goals like Tkachuk, in front of the net when there is a melee going on. He's big & strong & will create havoc in front of the net as Tkachuk does & try to make plays around the net.

He's got good vision & can make some nice passes, but I expect most of his goals will likely come around the net off rebounds & tips & fighting guys for loose pucks IMO. He's not going to get pretty goals, He's another guy who is going to get mostly ugly hard fought goals.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
It's the same arguement as Tkachuk I think, he isn't going to score goals like Stutzle or Batherson, he is going to score goals like Tkachuk, in front of the net when there is a melee going on. He's big & strong & will create havoc in front of the net as Tkachuk does & try to make plays around the net.

He's got good vision & can make some nice passes, but I expect most of his goals will likely come around the net off rebounds & tips & fighting guys for loose pucks IMO. He's not going to get pretty goals, He's another guy who is going to get mostly ugly hard fought goals.

Based on what I've seen, he doesn't go to the net and set up there like Tkachuk does.

The offense he generates is off the rush. He's a north-south player. That's how he scores and hits. When the game is slowed down in the offensive zone, he's not very effective.

Him and Tkachuk are not at all comparable, IMO. They play very differently, and from a production standpoint, are in completely different worlds.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011

That's all good. A goal is a goal. But at his age Brady was producing them in the NHL, while Boucher struggles to produce goals of any kind in college and the OHL.

Comparing Boucher to Tkachuk at this age would be like comparing Petr Schastlivy to Marian Hossa. It's not close as far as where they are at the same age. Let's hope this changes.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
That's all good. A goal is a goal. But at his age Brady was producing them in the NHL, while Boucher struggles to produce goals of any kind in college and the OHL.

Comparing Boucher to Tkachuk at this age would be like comparing Petr Schastlivy to Marian Hossa. It's not close as far as where they are at the same age. Let's hope this changes.
I am comparing where they score goals, not the two players to each other. Tkachuk is clearly a much better player, but in his draft yr lots of people on here were saying similar things about him. I still think this yr is a right off for Boucher, it's next yr if his offensive production doesn't increase that will give people more to complain about. Hopefully, he has a good summer of training & comes back 100% healthy, we'll see.

Reactions: Icelevel
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad