Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
LOL. Thrilled with a top 10 pick scoring 14 pts in 24 games in his D+1 year.

Sure thing Pierre.
One way to look at it. I wont be taking this route, i saw him play you can see the tools. Obviously not the production you are looking for but I think next year the 67's are gonna be alot better team. He will start the year off in a normal training camp maybe start judging his production next season under normal circumstances.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and cudi

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Outside of Chabot, there isn't much of a challenge to outperform most of the 7-30 guys; Noesen, Puempel, Lazar, L.Brown, Bowers are all pretty much busts, Cowen straddles the line for Bust, Ceci and White are serviceable players that got overpaid but aren't particularly special to date. The other guys it's too early to tell.

The standard for a 10OA pick damn well better be being better than most of that group. Right now if Boucher becomes a 4th line energy guy that hits like a truck, he's probably better than most of that group.

That's my point .. we sucked at trying to draft for what ever we saw in those guys ... so we switched it up. We didn't do the same old things better, we rethought the process. Silinger projected more like those failed wingers we picked .. Maybe he ends up better ... who knows but I'm ok that they tried something different.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Yeah, I'm with you on this,

Inside the top 6, we have good results in the recent past,
Zibanejad
Stutzle
Tkachuk,
Sanderson (tbd)

From 7 to 30, it's a mixed bag;
Cowen,
Noesen
Puempel
Ceci
Lazar
Chabot
White
L.Brown
Bowers
Thomson (tbd)
JBD (tbd)
Greig (tbd)
Boucher (tbd)

Chabot is the only guy that outperformed his draft placement in that second group.

Outside the first though, we've done fairly well, finding guys that are arguably better than most of our non-top 6 first round picks
Silfverburg
Lehner,
Hoffman,
Stone
JPG
Dzingel
Batherson
Formenton
Pinto

Our scouting is typically given credit because of that last group, but does the ability to later round gems actually correlate with getting the right guy in the fist, particularly once you get past that top 6 grouping?
“Mixed bag” is putting in very kindly

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
One way to look at it. I wont be taking this route, i saw him play you can see the tools. Obviously not the production you are looking for but I think next year the 67's are gonna be alot better team. He will start the year off in a normal training camp maybe start judging his production next season under normal circumstances.

He's one of the weirder prospects I've tried to 'evaluate' (use that term loosely as im just some guy who watches hockey lol) so im really trying to not attempt to predict what he becomes. I agree with everything you said about the toolbox. Been such a weird 2 years for development, and add in injuries.

I could see this guy being a bit of a late bloomer based on all those variables. Not ready to call him a bust, nor a great pick. Its a cop out answer, but imma just wait and see.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and bert

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
That's my point .. we sucked at trying to draft for what ever we saw in those guys ... so we switched it up. We didn't do the same old things better, we rethought the process. Silinger projected more like those failed wingers we picked .. Maybe he ends up better ... who knows but I'm ok that they tried something different.
No, he doesn’t, and that’s why he had better numbers than all those players at draft time, and for some of them, it’s not even close.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No, he doesn’t, and that’s why he had better numbers than all those players at draft time, and for some of them, it’s not even close.

Yes he did and most scouting reports had him as a top 6 PP scoring winger with marginal skating and defense. I have no idea how they evaluated him, but if they saw him as nothing more than a 2RW and PP2 guy I get why they passed.

ijif

Dec 20, 2018
Yes he did and most scouting reports had him as a top 6 PP scoring winger with marginal skating and defense. I have no idea how they evaluated him, but if they saw him as nothing more than a 2RW and PP2 guy I get why they passed.
Saying he projected like them because he is classified as the same type of player is not fully accurate. You need to take into account the probability of that happening based on the evidence at the time of the draft. The fact that Sillinger had much stronger scoring rates than the players being mentioned suggests he has/had a much higher change of actually being a top 6 forward than the past players we have drafted.

Players should be grouped by stats, consensus, size, and play type. Not just play type.

Reactions: Cosmix

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Sillinger just scored the 6th most goals as an 18 year old of anyone in the entire league right now, so strange to be peddling him off as some failed 2nd pp winger (he's a center...) who does nothing but pot 30-40 points. Absurd really, and no clue where it's coming from.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
one thing that makes me nervous is that he is already a gym rat and filled out. His skating and all his technical seem pretty polished as well.

Often times power forward take longer because they are still developing their skating, strength and fluidity.

But skating, strength, and fluidity are already the strongest parts of Bouchers game.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
one thing that makes me nervous is that he is already a gym rat and filled out. His skating and all his technical seem pretty polished as well.

Often times power forward take longer because they are still developing their skating, strength and fluidity.

But skating, strength, and fluidity are already the strongest parts of Bouchers game.

Agreed. He's already a man amongst boys, physically speaking. Having that advantage but still not figuring out how to produce is troubling. It doesn't bode well for ever figuring out how to score in the NHL.

Still very early in his career though. Hopefully next year is a big developmental leap for him.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Saying he projected like them because he is classified as the same type of player is not fully accurate. You need to take into account the probability of that happening based on the evidence at the time of the draft. The fact that Sillinger had much stronger scoring rates than the players being mentioned suggests he has/had a much higher change of actually being a top 6 forward than the past players we have drafted.

Players should be grouped by stats, consensus, size, and play type. Not just play type.

I didn't say he projected like them.... beyond their eventual role. Silinger plays different than Lazar or whatever failed forward we picked. However, in the end he doesn't project as a PP1 RW or L1 RW. So he slides down and at best is a 2RW. He didn't project to kill penalties or any other secondary role other than scoring where he is blocked by Batherson,. Its an exaggeration, but like adding a future Dadonov or Hoffman to our middle 6 who can't defend or support the team in leveraged situations. He projected like a guy who wouldn't be on the ice late whether you were wining or losing. He can't matchup vs the other teams best and he can't dominate the other teams checkers.

This team is taking players who can play their role exceptionally well. They may miss on Boucher but they took a kids who projects to be elite at his skill set vs good often preferred skill set and one of the easiest positions to replace.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Imagine having Sillinger on this team. You could instantly trade him or Pinto for a good defensemen

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
Sillinger just scored the 6th most goals as an 18 year old of anyone in the entire league right now, so strange to be peddling him off as some failed 2nd pp winger (he's a center...) who does nothing but pot 30-40 points. Absurd really, and no clue where it's coming from.
You're being generous.

It's the lamest attempt at defending the Boucher pick imaginable. Gotta be a Dorion burner account.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
Imagine having Sillinger on this team. You could instantly trade him or Pinto for a good defensemen

Sillinger and Stutzle would rock it together as well imo.

They have very complimentary skillsets. Dynamic playmaker and dynamic shooter.
Post automatically merged:

In role - yes .. Those guys are all PP2 or sitting on the bench.

none of those guys have the skill level of cole what the hell.

They would all be bad pp2 players, while cole would be a great one.

Reactions: HSF

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Sillinger and Stutzle would rock it together as well imo.

They have very complimentary skillsets. Dynamic playmaker and dynamic shooter.
Post automatically merged:

none of those guys have the skill level of cole what the hell.

They would all be bad pp2 players, while cole would be a great one.

Wonderful. I don’t think the Sens want PP2 only guys.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
No they should want depth so that they can have 3+ lines who can put the puck in the net instead of 1½.

You might like that - but DJ prefers team defence and heavy hockey. This team is not running 3 light scoring lines… no one does (well).

The delta on GF between a highly skilled 2RW light scoring winger who doesn’t get PP1 time vs a skilled, heavy forward that can defend, PK, and tilt the ice isn’t that much.

It’s more then made up on the GA side and makes room for everyone else.

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
You might like that - but DJ prefers team defence and heavy hockey. This team is not running 3 light scoring lines… no one does (well).

The delta on GF between a highly skilled 2RW light scoring winger who doesn’t get PP1 time vs a skilled, heavy forward that can defend, PK, and tilt the ice isn’t that much.

It’s more then made up on the GA side and makes room for everyone else.

who says the scoring lines have to be light or bad defensively?

Agent Zuuuub

Jan 2, 2015
I think Silinger was viewed as a light, poor skating, future limited defensive player.

most 18 year old kids are light who need to work on skating and defense. Though Sillinger was still able to crack the NHL and put up more points than boucher.

not to mention a line has 3 players on it as well as defensemen. You can have a tough matchup even if one player isn't particularly heavy. Especially if that one player brings something the others don't.

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Silinger was viewed as a light, poor skating, future limited defensive player.
The bold is news to me. Everything I saw from him showed a player more than willing to engage physically. Don't think I'd seen anyone suggest he was viewed as "light". Poor skating was the biggest concern I saw, specifically wrt his acceleration. From what I've seen he is pretty steady on his skates and has good lateral movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad