Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
The OHL didn’t even play and some players like 20 games and some played in beer leagues on Slovakia.

We got an NHL player who’s huge and mean and will be Sen for a long time.

Boucher was a safe pick that ticked all their scouting needs (coachable, big, rugged, solid skater, team player/coaches dream, high ceiling)

This very much remains to be seen. If it's too early to write the guy off, it's also too early to be pencilling him in.

Reactions: bert

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Look man, I sound smart because I am smart, and if you’re bent out of shape because you feel I’m more enlightened than you, that’s a you problem, I have zero f***s to give about changing who you are. Grow up.

I take moments to challenge your posted opinions online, that’s all you are to me, and I enjoy the discourse for the most part. You want to take things personal go for it, but you’ll go down that road alone as I have zero interest.

I think that you have shared extremely strong opinions too early, and I zero faith in your scouting abilities, especially in comparison to Mann and the boys. Nobody with any sense is drawing definite conclusions about the player at this point.

That’s my take, and I’m happy to trot it out to counter yours whenever I feel like it.
Lol you may be smart but you dont show it on here and I dont think you are enlightened at all, just a pompous arse.

As for personal attacks, read what you posted again and tell me it wasn't an attack. Had nothing to do with a player or an evaluation but it was littered with the condescending BS you are well known for.

I can share any opinion as early as I want but what exactly are the ones that have your high horse this incredibly high?

Should we look at the poll again to remind you that the idea of everyone writing him off is a figment of your imagination?

Talk about the player or the opinion and try leaving posters motives and thoughts out of it and you may actually get some of the discourse you claim to enjoy.

You are the pot and the kettle in this one.

Grow up.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Lol you may be smart but you dont show it on here and I dont think you are enlightened at all, just a pompous arse.

As for personal attacks, read what you posted again and tell me it wasn't an attack. Had nothing to do with a player or an evaluation but it was littered with the condescending BS you are well known for.

I can share any opinion as early as I want but what exactly are the ones that have your high horse this incredibly high?

Should we look at the poll again to remind you that the idea of everyone writing him off is a figment of your imagination?

Talk about the player or the opinion and try leaving posters motives and thoughts out of it and you may actually get some of the discourse you claim to enjoy.

You are the pot and the kettle in this one.

Grow up.
Amended my original post, but I enjoyed this post. I’m fine with your opinions of me, but I wonder if you realize that you’re describing your own persona in here as well.

Worth considering.

Again, cheers!

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
This very much remains to be seen. If it's too early to write the guy off, it's also too early to be pencilling him in.

Just watch him skate and hit someone and at the very least we have the American Christoph Schubert playing on the 4th line.

Boucher is going to play many full seasons for the Sens no doubt in my mind

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
For whatever it’s worth, Dorion gave Boucher a vote of confidence in his press conference today unprompted. He said “I’m thrilled with the way Tyler’s played, I saw him 3 or 4 times live. We’ve got a special power forward coming.”

Hope he’s right!

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Also said that there was some sort of family tragedy or something that has kept Boucher from immediately going to Belleville.
Post automatically merged:

Also said that there was some sort of family tragedy or something that has kept Boucher from immediately going to Belleville.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd be surprised if some of these young guys coming out of junior & headed to Belleville will see any playoff action. I'm quite sure they are more interested in winning & going on a deep run than developing some of these guys during the playoffs. Regular season is for developing, the playoffs is for winning & building a winning culture in any league.

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021
For whatever it’s worth, Dorion gave Boucher a vote of confidence in his press conference today unprompted. He said “I’m thrilled with the way Tyler’s played, I saw him 3 or 4 times live. We’ve got a special power forward coming.”

Hope he’s right!

LOL. Thrilled with a top 10 pick scoring 14 pts in 24 games in his D+1 year.

Sure thing Pierre.

Last edited:

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I bet Boucher in a full season, without 100 things going against him, would have put similar numbers to Ostapchuk. Had that happened, although not earth shattering, I bet we would feel very different about him, regardless of his draft slot, and most people would instead be a little more sober on their opinion.

For that, I really look forward to this time next year after Boucher dominates the OHL and leaves his mark on the WJHC. People are going to be eating some crow.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I bet Boucher in a full season, without 100 things going against him, would have put similar numbers to Ostapchuk. Had that happened, although not earth shattering, I bet we would feel very different about him, regardless of his draft slot, and most people would instead be a little more sober on their opinion.

For that, I really look forward to this time next year after Boucher dominates the OHL and leaves his mark on the WJHC. People are going to be eating some crow.

Like most of Dorion’s moves it will take this fan base a while to “understand” the pick.

Boucher thread to tilt Dorion’s way sometime around Jan 2023.

Pinto took 6 months
EK took two years
Stone will take 4 years
Klevin took 1.5 years
Boucher taking 1.5 years is normal.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Like most of Dorion’s moves it will take this fan base a while to “understand” the pick.

Boucher thread to tilt Dorion’s way sometime around Jan 2023.

Pinto took 6 months
EK took two years
Stone will take 4 years
Klevin took 1.5 years
Boucher taking 1.5 years is normal.
EK two years? Ek hype started to build very shortly after the draft.

No one cared about Stone. And he began dominated the whl as soon as he was drafted.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
EK two years? Ek hype started to build very shortly after the draft.

No one cared about Stone. And he began dominated the whl as soon as he was drafted.
He's talking about their trades, which is strange to compare to a draft pick but is what it is.

Would be the same as saying it will take a while for people to come around to the pick not being good because it took a while to come around to Stepan trade being bad, or Bowers pick being bad, or Del Zotto signing not making much sense, or letting Duclair walk making no sense. Has nothing to do with Boucher, like any of the things he mentioned, but easy to frame.

No different than a recent high 2nd in Tychonik not being qualified, that is a mistake, every team makes them. Trading back for JBD instead of taking Miller, same thing. Jarventie instead of an obvious pick like Peterka looks questionable. Mistakes happen, as do very good picks like Pinto. Just because 1 pick that was questioned worked out doesn't mean every pick questioned will work out, that's a terrible, terrible lazy way of trying to paint something.

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Complete reset. Year went about as bad as it could have. Come back next season and start from scratch. Lots of time left to make his mark.
If you’re ONLY looking at stats. But no one here would be doing that right? ;)

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
If you’re ONLY looking at stats. But no one here would be doing that right? ;)
If only looking at stats it's beyond as bad as it gets, his stats are among the worst in the past 30 years for a 1st round forward, up there with Jay O'Brien, who also left the NCAA after his D+1 season. Like it or not, your expected to score in a junior league as an NHL drafted player, especially a 10th overall.

Watching him play in both the NCAA and OHL you can see he has skating and physicality that don't show up on the statsheet, that's why he is still a very legitimate prospect.

Anyone who says that this year has been anything short of extremely disappointing is kidding themselves, it was the exact opposite of what you want to see. Nobody wants to see a guy have to leave a development program because they are struggling, and then nobody wants to see that person struggle in their new environment. We all know he can skate and hit. What we don't know is that he can produce, and he never showed that this year.

How did the year go if not bad, and how do we arrive at that conclusion?

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

Like most of Dorion’s moves it will take this fan base a while to “understand” the pick. Boucher thread to tilt Dorion’s way sometime around Jan 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: PlayersLtd

UglyPuckling

May 14, 2021
I've given it time and I am going Kopitar over Lee. Its pretty well played out.
Oh well that's hindsight now isn't it; I suppose waiting and seeing and then making up your mind has a bit of hindsight in it ...
People follow prospects and have opinions and give them right or wrong and lots turn out wrong.. Some turn out right... and the timing of the opinion is pertinent to a draft; and pertinent to what we see early. We can say well let's see how it plays out and give the benefit of the doubt which many of us do on many picks.. Some stand out as being reaches and people will say so and voice their opinion. Not one of us thinks they know more than Mann and his amateur scouting staff about any prospect. And that team of savy pros is going to make mistakes too. Its part of drafting young players in varying degrees of development which is no where close to linear. Every team makes mistakes and they do it for a living day in day out. We, people tend to get attached to prospects pre and post draft just look at all the emo in the GDTs and player threads. I think its part of hockey and part of being a fan. Sens have made a lot of really good picks and there are many they passed over in favor of others that did not... it just goes with the territory.. and fans familiar with players passed over are going to voice opinions before, when, and after it happens. Its not just wait and see though.. some just never turn out.. some can look great to a point and fizzle.. all kinds of things can happen.

No right or wrong way to be a fan.
Yes, and its an odd notion to think that everyone is going to have the same opinion as your own on an internet discussion forum. I've never understand why some (not you of course) feel so threatened about this that they have to harp & complain about all of the time. The idea that someone would go to an internet discussion board expecting that everyone is going to have the same opinion as your own is pretty naive and unrealistic. And then, the need to opine about it and lecture everyone seems a tad bizarre as well.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Have said this before but I'm really not sure why our scouting team gets so much respect w/r/t their first round selections. If we're not picking very high I'd say it's a pretty mixed bag results wise. I think what our scouts have traditionally excelled at is finding talent in rounds two and later.

Just my 2 cents. Hope Boucher turns into Tom Wilson 2.0 but I'm not optimistic.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
Have said this before but I'm really not sure why our scouting team gets so much respect w/r/t their first round selections. If we're not picking very high I'd say it's a pretty mixed bag results wise. I think what our scouts have traditionally excelled at is finding talent in rounds two and later.

We're definitely a very average first round drafting team. You can say our scouting department is "good" for picking up late round gems like Hoffman, Stone, Batherson in semi-recent years I guess, but beyond that, I see a huge lack of resources towards european scouting.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

Oh if we are drafting mid first we are a disaster. Even outside the top 6.

Cowen ceci lazar white bowers boucher(remains to be seen) offset by Chabot thomson jbd (remains to be seen on those last two)

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Oh if we are drafting mid first we are a disaster. Even outside the top 6.

Cowen ceci lazar white bowers boucher(remains to be seen) offset by Chabot thomson jbd (remains to be seen on those last two)

Yep. Add Brown to that list of failures.

This scouting department has not earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to picking 10 OA. They just haven't. If they were smashing every pick out of the park then sure I'd shut up because what do I know but these folks have not performed at that level.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Yep. Add Brown to that list of failures.

This scouting department has not earned the benefit of the doubt when it comes to picking 10 OA. They just haven't. If they were smashing every pick out of the park then sure I'd shut up because what do I know but these folks have not performed at that level.
Yeah, I'm with you on this,

Inside the top 6, we have good results in the recent past,
Zibanejad
Stutzle
Tkachuk,
Sanderson (tbd)

From 7 to 30, it's a mixed bag;
Cowen,
Noesen
Puempel
Ceci
Lazar
Chabot
White
L.Brown
Bowers
Thomson (tbd)
JBD (tbd)
Greig (tbd)
Boucher (tbd)

Chabot is the only guy that outperformed his draft placement in that second group.

Outside the first though, we've done fairly well, finding guys that are arguably better than most of our non-top 6 first round picks
Silfverburg
Lehner,
Hoffman,
Stone
JPG
Dzingel
Batherson
Formenton
Pinto

Our scouting is typically given credit because of that last group, but does the ability to later round gems actually correlate with getting the right guy in the fist, particularly once you get past that top 6 grouping?

Reactions: Mingus Dew

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, I'm with you on this,

Inside the top 6, we have good results in the recent past,
Zibanejad
Stutzle
Tkachuk,
Sanderson (tbd)

From 7 to 30, it's a mixed bag;
Cowen,
Noesen
Puempel
Ceci
Lazar
Chabot
White
L.Brown
Bowers
Thomson (tbd)
JBD (tbd)
Greig (tbd)
Boucher (tbd)

Chabot is the only guy that outperformed his draft placement in that second group.

Outside the first though, we've done fairly well, finding guys that are arguably better than most of our non-top 6 first round picks
Silfverburg
Lehner,
Hoffman,
Stone
JPG
Dzingel
Batherson
Formenton
Pinto

Our scouting is typically given credit because of that last group, but does the ability to later round gems actually correlate with getting the right guy in the fist, particularly once you get past that top 6 grouping?
I bet Boucher out preforms most of those 1RD 's you listed. We've been brutal drafting forwards past 6OA for as long as I can remember. What ever they were using to predict talent in the first round wasn't working. They changed it.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I bet Boucher out preforms most of those 1RD 's you listed. We've been brutal drafting forwards past 6OA for as long as I can remember. What ever they were using to predict talent in the first round wasn't working. They changed it.
Outside of Chabot, there isn't much of a challenge to outperform most of the 7-30 guys; Noesen, Puempel, Lazar, L.Brown, Bowers are all pretty much busts, Cowen straddles the line for Bust, Ceci and White are serviceable players that got overpaid but aren't particularly special to date. The other guys it's too early to tell.

The standard for a 10OA pick damn well better be being better than most of that group. Right now if Boucher becomes a 4th line energy guy that hits like a truck, he's probably better than most of that group.

Reactions: aragorn

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Outside of Chabot, there isn't much of a challenge to outperform most of the 7-30 guys; Noesen, Puempel, Lazar, L.Brown, Bowers are all pretty much busts, Cowen straddles the line for Bust, Ceci and White are serviceable players that got overpaid but aren't particularly special to date. The other guys it's too early to tell.

The standard for a 10OA pick damn well better be being better than most of that group. Right now if Boucher becomes a 4th line energy guy that hits like a truck, he's probably better than most of that group.
Well 10 OA fits into the 7 to 30 guys you mentioned, .... right? So he is right there with all those guys, it just remains to be seen whether he pans out to be better than them or becomes a serviceable player or busts & has a short career. If he is still having shoulder problems than it's likely he has been playing hurt for a while. They should just shut him down & let him recup until development camp & hopefully he comes back 100% healthy & we can finally see what we have in this guy. I think he will be more than a 4th liner, but it's a good point you make that even as a 4th liner he could be more impactful than a lot of them. It's a part of the draft that becomes harder to determine what guys will be than at the beginning of the draft where most of the time it's more obvious. However, there are plenty of examples too of guys drafted very early & busting, Yakopov always comes to mind first.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad