Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I didnt say that I just said he is bigger than him and could impose his will physically in a similar way.
Right now his physicality is the best part of his game. He can definitely hit like a truck. If he improves just a little that will be his ticket to the NHL. Let's hope he has a good offseason takes a nice step next year and continues to progress from there.

Reactions: aragorn

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
he pretty much Brian Lee. Proejction wise you know its unlikely he becomes anything good but there is a small amount of false hope that people hold on to since he was drafted high and you are hoping that the team sees something that others don't

TBH its unlikely he becomes anything of note. He wasn't even invited to the USA world junior team. Maybe next year but we would have to see a large improvement in his offensive game

Reactions: JimmySpaetzle

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
The biggest think for Boucher is if he can get onto an NHL Power Play he’ll be considered a good pick, if he can’t the fans will feel something was left on the table.

His 5 on 5 game will be fine, but he needs the PP time to get his stats up. Almost like a Connor Brown who had 9 PP points this year to take him from 30 to 40 points
He was on his college PP then the 67s PP and it didn't boost his stats.

He needs to produce at the OHL level next year then produce at the AHL level and then see if he can crack an NHL roster eventually before any talk of having him on the Senators PP can happen.

The good news for him is he will get loads of opportunity and the benefit of being a 10th overall pick so lots if patience.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
have not bothered to read thru this thread more than 2 pages but convincing ourselves he will be fine by comparing him to Parker Kelly doesn't seem too apt, personally

Reactions: HSF

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
have not bothered to read thru this thread more than 2 pages but convincing ourselves he will be fine by comparing him to Parker Kelly doesn't seem too apt, personally

I don't think that's what's happening. People are comparing him to P. Kelly because their stats are similar and Kelly went undrafted. The implication is that Boucher was a huge reach at 10th OA.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
I don't think that's what's happening. People are comparing him to P. Kelly because their stats are similar and Kelly went undrafted. The implication is that Boucher was a huge reach at 10th OA.
i saw one user say not to worry about him for his lack of production and wanted to pile on for easy likes without reading the rest of the responses during my annual HFboards visit

glad we're all on the same page otherwise 👍

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
i saw one user say not to worry about him for his lack of production and wanted to pile on for easy likes without reading the rest of the responses during my annual HFboards visit

theres a few who think just cuz our scouts are usually great that he'll be a good pick in the end. Most of us arent thrilled, but he's a Senator prospect now and we just really hope he can bounce back from a less than ideal season for him.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
theres a few who think just cuz our scouts are usually great that he'll be a good pick in the end. Most of us arent thrilled, but he's a Senator prospect now and we just really hope he can bounce back from a less than ideal season for him.
hopefully that's the case but I just don't see t. not sure we found any potential impact players in our latest draft

this class just has not performed like any of the previous where we "reached" any they ended up turning out well.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
hopefully that's the case but I just don't see t. not sure we found any potential impact players in our latest draft

this class just has not performed like any of the previous where we "reached" any they ended up turning out well.

all we have is hope now. nothing can change the pick at this point so we prayin to the hockey gods that he randomly explodes offensively next season.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In sum Mackenzie had him ranked at 29, we picked him at 10, Rangers we’re going to take him at 16 if available.

He was a reach, but not a massive one as some folks would like to have everyone believe. As usual the hyperbole has taken control of the discussion surrounding draft position and spiralled off into the ridiculous.

The kid has had a disappointing season, hopefully he gets back on track this summer and has a great year next season.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
How do we know that the Rangers were going to pick Boucher? Seems to me that they must be pretty happy with Othmann.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
The entire 2021 draft class has a total of 167 NHL games played combined and that includes Sillinger's 79gp this season. Think about that for a minute, none of the top 5 picks have played more than 10 games this season which is unusual at least for players who go top 2.

What this means is the following:

1. Obviously way way way too early to judge any of these players future career potential based on any of their performances right now whether good or bad.

2. Boucher can still end up turning things around and find himself worthy of at least being mentioned as a good 1st round pick with potential (forget the reach at #10).

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
How do we know that the Rangers were going to pick Boucher? Seems to me that they must be pretty happy with Othmann.

We don't know, but I'm sure they're thanking their lucky stars that Ottawa made the mistake before they could, if they were considering it.

Othmann looks great.

Boucher would have been a solid 2nd round pick. We should just forget he was taken at #10 and judge him for what he is. It's not his fault he was taken too soon. He can still turn into a contributor. He can certainly carve out a career like Matt Martin, Kyle Clifford or Tanner Glass. Those are realistic comparables.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

Thats not what I said I said give him a bigger sample size than 24 games. I literally said that if he scored at a .65 ppg rate for an entire season it would be worrisome. Id rather just see how the player performs over a full season where he gets a training camp with that team and is used to the system and environment he is in. Other posters dont want to give the player that chance. They'd rather just right him off completely.

Reactions: R We A Team

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Uh Really?

Other than the usual handful of fans who never doubt anything this team does (and you this time) who is not doubting this pick?

Look at the post-draft analysis from pretty much anyone around the league - Almost everyone was absolutely shocked to see Boucher go at 10, pretty much everyone here included. Then he did nothing this season to prove he was worth taking at that spot. Everyone here is doubting Tyler Boucher. If you're reading this Tyler, absolutely everybody is doubting you. Please prove us wrong.
Black or White only around here only I guess. I am a poster who has been criticized as being only negative about this team now I am being put into a group never doubts it? I started the Pierre Dorion should be fired thread.

I have been watching and and following hockey for a long time. One thing I certainly have learned that judging an 18 year old drafts entire career on a 24 game sample size solely based on production when the most redeeming aspect of the player is their physicality is a mis-informed way to look at it. No I am not saying it wasn't a reach... It absolutely was I shocked they passed on Sillinger. No I am not saying I am happy with the pick. What I am saying is that most of these takes about the player being a bust already are terrible. Especially if you haven't watched Boucher play. If you have watched the player you can see the tool set. Secondly I will say this not every person/player is the same, making a blanket statement that a player switching teams/countries/cities/leagues/systems mid season doesn't effect someone is frankly a clueless comment. Its hard to adjust and takes time. It happens in the NHL all the time, to think it cant happen to a teenager is driven by someones ego to win an argument. Ill give a recent example. Look at Pierre Luc Dubois last year and now this year. Different player..... Was a dog last year was great this season. PLD was also seen as a reach in his draft year, big physical types of players often take longer to adjust and acclimatize. Big players in general have longer and bumpier development curves. (No i dont think Boucher is a PLD level prospect but he is a bigger player that brings a physical element to the game).

I will finish with this, Boucher is a Sens prospect that turned 19 this year he did not control where he was drafted. But he is here, so if you want to be extremely negative direct it somewhere else its not the players fault. If you actually went to watch the player you will see that he plays a heavy, hard entertaining brand of hockey. If you can put aside where he was drafted you'd probably be looking forward to seeing what he does in 3 to 4 years time when he has developed and brings that energy to this team. Look at how the playoffs have started, its been nasty. He is going to be a great 3rd line guy on a contender. Its not going to happen over night but I do think with his pedigree, skating and shot he will be an NHL player.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Ostapchuk seems to have become a decent pick & could have a future in this org.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
Ostapchuk seems to have become a decent pick & could have a future in this org.

He has some very nice tools. Couldn't seem to put it together in the regular season. It'll be interesting to see if Everett was just a good matchup for the Giants or if they've found some real chemistry. Kamloops will be a good test for Ostapchuk and the G-men.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Could see Ostapchuk ending up being a Shawn Matthias-type player.

Matthias was a guy with above-average size and speed like Ostapchuk but underwhelming draft year production that ended up carving out a decent 500+ game career for himself largely because of his impressive tools.

R2010

May 23, 2011
In sum Mackenzie had him ranked at 29, we picked him at 10, Rangers we’re going to take him at 16 if available.

He was a reach, but not a massive one as some folks would like to have everyone believe. As usual the hyperbole has taken control of the discussion surrounding draft position and spiralled off into the ridiculous.

The kid has had a disappointing season, hopefully he gets back on track this summer and has a great year next season.

The difference in value of a 10th overall pick to a 29th overall pick typically is huge. We could have gotten a legit top 6 forward for a 10th overall pick in a trade. Hard to do that for 29th overall.

To trade up from 29th to 10th you'd probably have to send like a two 2nd round picks with it.. Even from 10 to 16 there is a huge drop off usually.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The difference in value of a 10th overall pick to a 29th overall pick typically is huge. We could have gotten a legit top 6 forward for a 10th overall pick in a trade. Hard to do that for 29th overall.

To trade up from 29th to 10th you'd probably have to send like a two 2nd round picks with it.. Even from 10 to 16 there is a huge drop off usually.
It’s not really that huge if you skip the fan drama and actually look at the numbers. A 10oa is a lot closer to 30oa in terms of turning into star player than it is to a top 1-3 player in the draft.

2 2nds isn’t a massive haul either, especially when you have several. I wish people would have a look at draft data to see what these picks are actually likely to produce. It really isn’t as much as people think. The scouting skill is much more important as star players are sprinkled throughout the draft after the absolute top picks, and even those aren’t guaranteed.

A 10oa is traditionally not likely to turn into a first line player. Scouts are looking to draft the best player possible who will actually play in the NHL. After the first 5 or so picks the odds start to drop pretty quickly and the scouts have to start relying on their talent and trusting each other.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Black or White only around here only I guess. I am a poster who has been criticized as being only negative about this team now I am being put into a group never doubts it? I started the Pierre Dorion should be fired thread.

I have been watching and and following hockey for a long time. One thing I certainly have learned that judging an 18 year old drafts entire career on a 24 game sample size solely based on production when the most redeeming aspect of the player is their physicality is a mis-informed way to look at it. No I am not saying it wasn't a reach... It absolutely was I shocked they passed on Sillinger. No I am not saying I am happy with the pick. What I am saying is that most of these takes about the player being a bust already are terrible. Especially if you haven't watched Boucher play. If you have watched the player you can see the tool set. Secondly I will say this not every person/player is the same, making a blanket statement that a player switching teams/countries/cities/leagues/systems mid season doesn't effect someone is frankly a clueless comment. Its hard to adjust and takes time. It happens in the NHL all the time, to think it cant happen to a teenager is driven by someones ego to win an argument. Ill give a recent example. Look at Pierre Luc Dubois last year and now this year. Different player..... Was a dog last year was great this season. PLD was also seen as a reach in his draft year, big physical types of players often take longer to adjust and acclimatize. Big players in general have longer and bumpier development curves. (No i dont think Boucher is a PLD level prospect but he is a bigger player that brings a physical element to the game).

I will finish with this, Boucher is a Sens prospect that turned 19 this year he did not control where he was drafted. But he is here, so if you want to be extremely negative direct it somewhere else its not the players fault. If you actually went to watch the player you will see that he plays a heavy, hard entertaining brand of hockey. If you can put aside where he was drafted you'd probably be looking forward to seeing what he does in 3 to 4 years time when he has developed and brings that energy to this team. Look at how the playoffs have started, its been nasty. He is going to be a great 3rd line guy on a contender. Its not going to happen over night but I do think with his pedigree, skating and shot he will be an NHL player.
I still don't see many writing him off although the last few pages have seen a couple more suggest he may have busted already.

Additional context may help clarify why there is so much angst as well.

The Senators finished strong and moved out of the bottom 9 picks which already hurt and felt like a bit of a let down after such a trying season.

Then the team went off the board for a pick but people were still excited to see him grow and have a good college season. When he came out cold it was very disappointing. Then he changed leagues and the thought was the OHL was a better fit and he could really use his skills but then he was just sort of, Meh. More disappointment.

People want to be excited about what we hope is our last top 10 pick in a while but there isn't anything to be excited about yet. Maybe we were spoiled with Pinto and Sanderson (heck even Crookshank) but seems reasonable to me people aren't pleased.

And I am from Ottawa and watched him live several times.

Reactions: TheDebater

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I still don't see many writing him off although the last few pages have seen a couple more suggest he may have busted already.

Additional context may help clarify why there is so much angst as well.

The Senators finished strong and moved out of the bottom 9 picks which already hurt and felt like a bit of a let down after such a trying season.

Then the team went off the board for a pick but people were still excited to see him grow and have a good college season. When he came out cold it was very disappointing. Then he changed leagues and the thought was the OHL was a better fit and he could really use his skills but then he was just sort of, Meh. More disappointment.

People want to be excited about what we hope is our last top 10 pick in a while but there isn't anything to be excited about yet. Maybe we were spoiled with Pinto and Sanderson (heck even Crookshank) but seems reasonable to me people aren't pleased.

And I am from Ottawa and watched him live several times.
He really wasnt meh on the 67's though. That's a purely statistical analysis.

Samboni

Jan 26, 2014
I’m willing to give the kid another year before I pass judgement. Hopefully he takes a big step forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Ad

Ad