Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
One description that might prove most accurate is that Boucher will end up being a combination of Mike Fisher and Chris Neil. Fisher was very strong, had impressive speed and skating, decent puck skills and hockey iq and was strong defensively. Neil was a punishing hitter, who played with a real edge to his game, went hard to the net, stirred the pot and could go toe to toe with anyone in the league.

If Boucher ends up taking on the best traits of both Fisher and Neil then he will end up being a very valuable player for the Sens.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Lmao, when will people learn not to doubt this scouting staff? First Tkachuk, then Pinto, then Merilainen, then Sanderson....

I mean, it's still super early on Boucher, but they've earned the benefit of the doubt at this point. Especially when Boucher shows these glimpses.

This is coming after 1 game?

Tkachuk and Sanderson? Outside of maybe a few posters, most understood these selections and were totally ok with them. For example, in 2018 I wanted Zadina but Tkachuk was right behind. In 2020, I wanted Drysdale but right behind I was fine with any of Lundell, Sanderson, Rossi and Perfetti IIRC

Merilainen? He had a great junior season in Finland but his NA transition has been far from perfect

Pinto might be the only one here that could give you some ammo as this selection was more controversial, mainly because consensus first round talent Kaliyev was still available (was ranked 17th OA in 2019 Consensus NHL Draft Rankings, which is based on the 14 main "sources" to come up with an ultimate ranking of the prospects). Pinto was ranked 45th

That was a reach but not as crazy as Boucher's one. Sure, it could still pay off but the "questioning" for that pick is totally legit. For the whole 2021 draft it is.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I really like the potential this guy has, and I really want that type of player on our team.

Also, we’re supposed to go over ‘our notes’ before posting??

Man, this is sounding less and less fun as the years march on… lol

Reactions: aragorn

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Loved the goal he scored for the 67s. I hope he builds his confidence and refines his game so that when he comes her, he's challenging for a top 6 position and making any of us (including myself) eat our words on him being taken at 10th overall

NHL Dude 120

Jun 18, 2011
Ottawa
Loved the goal he scored for the 67s. I hope he builds his confidence and refines his game so that when he comes her, he's challenging for a top 6 position and making any of us (including myself) eat our words on him being taken at 10th overall

Yeah I want him to prove me wrong. If in 2026 he's a stud bonafide NHL player I'll buy a Boucher jersey.

Reactions: Cosmix

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
67's have 11 shots with under 6 to go in the 3rd
3-3 Bulldogs .. coming back with 2 in the 3rd
All Hamilton in OT .. they win it 4-3
Nathan Staios with the hatty and the gwg

Last edited:

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
The microscope on this poor kid.

Hope he proves everyone (minus senators scouts) wrong, but that rough college start and pandemic have been mountains to climb.

Probably needs and overage year in juniors after so many games lost.

Maintain a top line role, leadership opportunities, and sad many minutes as possible. Jumping to the AHL may just down him by diluting his minutes, role, and shooting good confidence with obstacle after obstacle to overcome, without much success in any (yet).

Will agree that I do enjoy his 67s highlights.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I still worry about all the time he's missed the past two seasons. He's missed a lot. That's prime development time and won't get back. It wouldn't be his fault, but that's a wee bit of an obstacle to overcome imo. I think its also another reason why we have to adjust our expectations and go slow with him. Let him go the Batherson route.

Exactly why we need to put him on the back burner and let him simmer for a few years. He need s a lot of development time. Remove the microscope for awhile and let the kid play and develop in peace.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Boucher has a really heavy shot. I thinks is heavier than Norris’ through his Belleville season. We’ll see if he can aim it or even better get in position to use it more.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
One description that might prove most accurate is that Boucher will end up being a combination of Mike Fisher and Chris Neil. Fisher was very strong, had impressive speed and skating, decent puck skills and hockey iq and was strong defensively. Neil was a punishing hitter, who played with a real edge to his game, went hard to the net, stirred the pot and could go toe to toe with anyone in the league.

If Boucher ends up taking on the best traits of both Fisher and Neil then he will end up being a very valuable player for the Sens.

But, it is premature to make those types of prognostications for this player.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
But, it is premature to make those types of prognostications for this player.

It absolutely is NOT. He’s no different than any other top prospect other then some fans view. He’s missed some games and bounced around but it doesn’t change his projectability.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009

Mike Fisher is a good comparable,great forecheck t and good down low. looks like Boucher has a better shot so a 25 goal average would be expected

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Just based off clips he definitely has a top 6 skillset. Great skater for his size, good hands, good vision, hard accurate shot… It’s wayyy too early for people to be judging this pick

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Just based off clips he definitely has a top 6 skillset. Great skater for his size, good hands, good vision, hard accurate shot… It’s wayyy too early for people to be judging this pick

That's why you don't just watch clips.

It's better than nothing but clips are only posted when Boucher does something positive, so it paints a pretty rosy picture.

I watched the full game and he wasn't very impressive. Didn't make much of an impact outside of two big hits.

For a top 10 pick he should be carrying the play and creating chances. A lot of grade curving going on here.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
That's why you don't just watch clips.

It's better than nothing but clips are only posted when Boucher does something positive, so it paints a pretty rosy picture.

I watched the full game and he wasn't very impressive. Didn't make much of an impact outside of two big hits.

For a top 10 pick he should be carrying the play and creating chances. A lot of grade curving going on here.

The problem might be your expectations. He has a total of 6 games in the OHL, I think you should give him some time. Power forwards take longer to develop and he's showing some nice flashes. I know in HF we usually love to close a case on a player as soon as possible after he was drafted, but I think with Boucher you need to at least see how he ends the season in the O before making any conclusive comments. And even then, it would still be early.

RAFI BOMB

May 11, 2016
He has a lot of solid raw tools. All the attributes are there, including the hockey iq, for Boucher to be a top six forward at the NHL level, and a very good one at that. But for now it is all about putting the pieces of the puzzle together. He needs to continue getting reps and to keep working with the development coaches.

It is understandable that many people wanted and expected something more refined given where Boucher was picked, but there is some very intriguing potential there and people will just have to be patient. The OHL is a good place for his development, he is making his adjustments and showing more and more progression each game. It will be interesting to track his development as he becomes more and more refined.

Reactions: Sweatred

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
He has a lot of solid raw tools. All the attributes are there, including the hockey iq, for Boucher to be a top six forward at the NHL level, and a very good one at that. But for now it is all about putting the pieces of the puzzle together. He needs to continue getting reps and to keep working with the development coaches.

It is understandable that many people wanted and expected something more refined given where Boucher was picked, but there is some very intriguing potential there and people will just have to be patient. The OHL is a good place for his development, he is making his adjustments and showing more and more progression each game. It will be interesting to track his development as he becomes more and more refined.

Honestly IQ is my biggest worry with Boucher. He's strong as an ox, fast, has a good shot, and can handle a puck just fine. Tools are there but he doesn't get a ton out of them, at least as of yet.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Honestly IQ is my biggest worry with Boucher. He's strong as an ox, fast, has a good shot, and can handle a puck just fine. Tools are there but he doesn't get a ton out of them, at least as of yet.

This is fair - he may hit as hard as any forward other then Brady/Watson in the org. His shot may be heavier than Norris’ and he skates well (quick/powerful).

He doesn’t pass well in tight areas and doesn’t get into ideal scoring areas to use his shot.

Lots of time to improve - hopefully he has som nat other tools to fall back on that the Sens can be patient with some early low scoring years in the NHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad