Prospect Info: Tyler Boucher (F) - PART III

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Best game for him this year. Lets see if he can keep it going.
Complimented that line pretty well though.
Jack Beck is a heck of a hockey player. Too bad he’s just a wee little fella (weight wise). Flames got a potential steal in the 6th round

Reactions: bert

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
Lmao, when will people learn not to doubt this scouting staff? First Tkachuk, then Pinto, then Merilainen, then Sanderson....

I mean, it's still super early on Boucher, but they've earned the benefit of the doubt at this point. Especially when Boucher shows these glimpses.

"It's still super early but I'll never miss a chance to lick Dorion's boots based on one single game!"

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

mianjo

Jan 16, 2009
STARS OF THE GAME

8678.jpg

FIRST
Tyler Boucher
Ottawa
8592.jpg

SECOND
Max Donoso
Ottawa
8136.jpg

THIRD
Jack Beck
Ottawa

Ashrum

Sep 22, 2006
This thread is like zero to hero. I am glad he's getting a chance to play he seems hungry for success ATM hope he keeps it up and becomes a force for us on the RW.

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
My evaluation of Boucher tonight:

His enthusiasm, attitude and work ethic are all great. He was flying around looking to wreak havoc on the opposition. He also has a fantastic shot as demonstrated by the goal. He's clearly a big strong kid who skates very well... and will continue to get bigger, stronger and faster.

Where he is weak: as of right now, he does not have the soft hands or instincts of a playmaker. He was wide open at the side of the net; when the puck came across, it was not in a perfect spot for him and he couldn't execute. An offensively gifted player would've adapted and made the play even with the puck in an awkward spot. On another example, he brought the puck in on the rush and instead of sliding it across to his teammate, it looked like he panicked a bit and just slid it weakly straight into the goalie's pads.

Just two examples that show IMO that he lacks offensive instincts and the composure of a playmaker. Hopefully he develops his offensive game. I can see him becoming a Mike Fisher type.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. This was my first real viewing of him and I like the overall package.

Reactions: DJB and DrEasy

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Was at the game and disappointed to not see Levi in nets or Roger on blueline for Fronts.

Boucher looked OK and obviously had a ripper of a goal but in general I was shocked that he was on the periphery quite a bit.

Wasn't a lot of cycling going on and I know he won't be a big transition guy but hope he starts to force his way in to the play more.

He is clearly a man among boys here so I won't be shocked to see him put up some numbers and that is exactly what he needed. Remember how to score and have fun playing hockey again.

Certainly some good tools to work with.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
Was at the game and disappointed to not see Levi in nets or Roger on blueline for Fronts.

Boucher looked OK and obviously had a ripper of a goal but in general I was shocked that he was on the periphery quite a bit.

Wasn't a lot of cycling going on and I know he won't be a big transition guy but hope he starts to force his way in to the play more.

He is clearly a man among boys here so I won't be shocked to see him put up some numbers and that is exactly what he needed. Remember how to score and have fun playing hockey again.

Roger was very much patrolling the blue line for the fronts all night. #55

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I think he's starting to look comfortable the last couple games. That was his 5th game, and one of those he got hurt on 3rd shift or something.

I have little doubt he can be effective at this level, the hope is he can refine some aspects of his game and transition to the next level. I'm hoping we get something similar to Anderson out of him.

The way I see it, here are some potential outcomes for Boucher:

Bust, never transitions. Idk who a comparable might be...

Clutterbuck: great bottom line energy guy

Watson: bottom 6 guy that at his peak flirts with the middle 6.

Torres type (minus the suspensions): I think Torres probably had higher upside before his injury, but like he was in Clb and SJ, maybe a middle six guy at peak, bottom 6 the rest of the way.

Anderson: physical and can play up and down the lineup, but inconsistent.

Dustin Brown: absolute homerun, doubt he gets there but date to dream

Last edited:

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
I still worry about all the time he's missed the past two seasons. He's missed a lot. That's prime development time and won't get back. It wouldn't be his fault, but that's a wee bit of an obstacle to overcome imo. I think its also another reason why we have to adjust our expectations and go slow with him. Let him go the Batherson route.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
"It's still super early but I'll never miss a chance to lick Dorion's boots based on one single game!"
The irony is Merilainen is having a terrible season. He doesnt even follow the players or check his notes before he posts anything. Which is why its impossible to take his critiqueing of anything on this team seriously.

Disclaimer, i have been preaching patience with Boucher this has nothing to do with him. I think he is likely going to be a long term project but he is going to get a ton of prime ice time and opportunity with the 67s for the rest of this season and the next. In a very well run organization and a top notch coaching staff. I think its a dream come true for his development from a Sens fan and Ottawa sports fan in general. Him and Beck seem like they could provide a really dynamic top line. Their skill sets compliment one another well. Ottawa is a one of the youngest teams in the league, I think next season they are going to be really good.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
My evaluation of Boucher tonight:

His enthusiasm, attitude and work ethic are all great. He was flying around looking to wreak havoc on the opposition. He also has a fantastic shot as demonstrated by the goal. He's clearly a big strong kid who skates very well... and will continue to get bigger, stronger and faster.

Where he is weak: as of right now, he does not have the soft hands or instincts of a playmaker. He was wide open at the side of the net; when the puck came across, it was not in a perfect spot for him and he couldn't execute. An offensively gifted player would've adapted and made the play even with the puck in an awkward spot. On another example, he brought the puck in on the rush and instead of sliding it across to his teammate, it looked like he panicked a bit and just slid it weakly straight into the goalie's pads.

Just two examples that show IMO that he lacks offensive instincts and the composure of a playmaker. Hopefully he develops his offensive game. I can see him becoming a Mike Fisher type.

Overall, I was pretty impressed. This was my first real viewing of him and I like the overall package.
Thanks for the breakdown, I actually find this encouraging. Raw tools that you described cant really be developed you have them or you dont. In only his 5th game with the team coming off injury thats still a good performance. He hasnt played alot of games in the last two years, alot of the things you described that he struggled with you get from reps and being comfortable/confident. Which leads me to my next point. Thank goodness he is playing in the CHL. He is going to get a ton of reps and will be able to develop those types of tools through confidence. Had he stayed at BU he probably gets one 8th of the opportunities to do that as they play less games and he probably doesnt play higher up in the line up. I am looking forward to his progression, good chance he gets close to 100 more games in the CHL if he stays healthy and they get a few rounds of playoffs in.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
The irony is Merilainen is having a terrible season. He doesnt even follow the players or check his notes before he posts anything. Which is why its impossible to take his critiqueing of anything on this team seriously.

Disclaimer, i have been preaching patience with Boucher this has nothing to do with him. I think he is likely going to be a long term project but he is going to get a ton of prime ice time and opportunity with the 67s for the rest of this season and the next. In a very well run organization and a top notch coaching staff. I think its a dream come true for his development from a Sens fan and Ottawa sports fan in general. Him and Beck seem like they could provide a really dynamic top line. Their skill sets compliment one another well. Ottawa is a one of the youngest teams in the league, I think next season they are going to be really good.
I think saying Merilainen has had a terrible season is harsh. He has been wildly inconsistent, some games he has been hot garbage while he has been excellent some games. I will grant you there has been more hot garbage than excellence.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I think saying Merilainen has had a terrible season is harsh. He has been wildly inconsistent, some games he has been hot garbage while he has been excellent some games. I will grant you there has been more hot garbage than excellence.
Which for a goalie is the most important thing. Its hard coming to a new country, new angles, new rinks, different style game. Its not like he cant or wont be better I just thought it was classic Swiftin to say something like that.

Reactions: GCK

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Which for a goalie is the most important thing. Its hard coming to a new country, new angles, new rinks, different style game. Its not like he cant or wont be better I just thought it was classic Swiftin to say something like that.
Ya I agree - tough to adjust as a goalie from Euro to NAM.

That said, as far as ranked by other goalies with as many games as he has played he isn't that bad...CHL is such a crap shoot as well.

67s had LOADS of high danger, cross crease plays yesterday that didn't pan out either by missing or great saves...the D breakdowns in junior are constant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad