OT: TV & Movie Suggestions

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
The Sandman (Netflix) is well done and quite entertaining. It's getting a big push and is pretty popular. I had zero knowledge of this character and Neil Gaiman's involvment until I heard an interview with Gaiman about a couple of weeks ago.

Station 11 on Crave/HBO Max is a good post-apocalyptic miniseries. My wife read the book and didn't realize it had been made into a show until it was nominated for some Emmys a few weeks ago.

Reactions: ps241

hockeyarena

Aug 11, 2011
Winnipeg
www.hockeyarena.net
The Sandman (Netflix) is well done and quite entertaining. It's getting a big push and is pretty popular. I had zero knowledge of this character and Neil Gaiman's involvment until I heard an interview with Gaiman about a couple of weeks ago.
is it really teenyboppery? we're hesitating to start it because it seems very teenage woke.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
is it really teenyboppery? we're hesitating to start it because it seems very teenage woke.
Nah, I wouldn't say that. I guess the lead character is a bit goth or emo or whatever you'd call it. Kind of like Robert Smith of the Cure meets Edward from Twilight... :laugh:

But don't let that deter you - the subject matter isn't teeny-bopper at all.

Reactions: hockeyarena

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012
We are watching Occupied--a political drama on Netflix--and really enjoying it. It's fiction but, judging from current geopolitics, not far- fetched at all.
It's based on the premise that Norway ceases oil and gas production to save the environment and Russia invades them, purportedly to restore it and resupply Europe with energy.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
We are watching Occupied--a political drama on Netflix--and really enjoying it. It's fiction but, judging from current geopolitics, not far- fetched at all.
It's based on the premise that Norway ceases oil and gas production to save the environment and Russia invades them, purportedly to restore it and resupply Europe with energy.

Sounds great. I will give it a shot.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015

Station 11 on Crave/HBO Max is a good post-apocalyptic miniseries. My wife read the book and didn't realize it had been made into a show until it was nominated for some Emmys a few weeks ago.

This seems so weird to me that someone could know about Gaiman and not know about Sandman. Maybe it's an age thing, he initially came to fame in comics then later crossed over into other mediums so that's how I always remember him. Sandman is his most iconic work in comics, and IMO most iconic overall.

I have the first 40-50 original issues, they should be in good shape too. I should probably get them graded at some point if I can find them in the 15 or so long-boxes in my basement.

Reactions: Gm0ney

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This seems so weird to me that someone could know about Gaiman and not know about Sandman. Maybe it's an age thing, he initially came to fame in comics then later crossed over into other mediums so that's how I always remember him. Sandman is his most iconic work in comics, and IMO most iconic overall.

I have the first 40-50 original issues, they should be in good shape too. I should probably get them graded at some point if I can find them in the 15 or so long-boxes in my basement.
I'd just read some of his novels...Good Omens, The Graveyard Book and American Gods. I don't know how the Sandman whole Sandman comics thing escaped my attention.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
I actually watched the first 2 seasons in like 2015-2016 when it originally came out and at that time it was being critisized for being too unrealistic as "there's no way NATO/USA would just sit back and have an isolationist view on the invasion". I didn't finish the 3rd season but the first 2 seasons are absolutely dynamite. It's like a thinking person's 24.

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
For All Mankind on Apple is pretty brilliant. Season 3 just ended and it feels like each season you go on this epic journey over a long period of time... esp if you binge it.

I have to say, I'm not an Apple fan, don't own any of their products but Apple TV is such an amazing service when it comes to the quality of content. They don't have a lot of content but pretty much all the content they do have is such high quality that it has quickly become my favorite streaming service. Severance, For All Mankind, Ted Lasso, The Servant, Black Bird... they are absolutely killing it.

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Just finished the first season of Peacemaker.

Enjoyed it quite a bit but it's hard to say exactly why - on one hand it's mindless entertainment, on the other it has a couple of layers to it.

John Cena was better than I would have guessed. Obviously not a classically trained actor, but he did a decent job.

Awesome soundtrack, and the opening credit scene almost makes it worth watching by itself.

Like "The Boys", it won't be for everyone

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
First episode of House of the Dragon was pretty damn good. After the disaster that was the end of GOT I wasn't sure if I could get invested again but its looking like here we go again...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
First episode of House of the Dragon was pretty damn good. After the disaster that was the end of GOT I wasn't sure if I could get invested again but its looking like here we go again...

Is this suppose to be part of that series or what was the linkage. I was really late to GOT but I did enjoy it but like you they lost me towards the end.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Is this suppose to be part of that series or what was the linkage. I was really late to GOT but I did enjoy it but like you they lost me towards the end.
It takes place nearly 200 years prior to the events in GOT.

It is about the Targaryen's mostly, the struggle to find an heir to the throne and I believe goes into the fall of their reign.

None of the characters overlap, but it takes place in Kings Landing, and has a similar feeling as GOT.

Reactions: ps241

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Kind of a wet fart finish IMO. What did you think? I enjoyed the series but Breaking Bad was way better.
I think our expectations for endings can be unfair sometimes. It definitely could have been more thrilling I agree, but this show has always been more subtle than BB so the ending doesn’t surprise me.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Kind of a wet fart finish IMO. What did you think? I enjoyed the series but Breaking Bad was way better.

I didn't mind the finish, but agree, it was not fireworks we got from Breaking Bad, which is why I stopped comparing the 2 series a long time ago.

BCS is more of a subtle Hitchcock type thriller while BB was a Stephen King type thriller, if that makes any sense.

Reactions: jokesondee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad