OT: TV & Movie Suggestions

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
OK homies

I have a choice to make. I have never watched Better call Saul or Stranger Things. I was a big Breaking Bad fan and I am a boomer so will I get the schtick of Stranger Things?

Thoughts?
There are Stranger Things out there than never having watched Better Call Saul. But it will definitely be Breaking Bad for you if you don't eventually watch it.

If you don't get Stranger Things but still want some horror just re watch Jets games from this past season.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
OK homies

I have a choice to make. I have never watched Better call Saul or Stranger Things. I was a big Breaking Bad fan and I am a boomer so will I get the schtick of Stranger Things?

Thoughts?
I have also never watched Better Call Saul, but breaking bad was my favorite show. It may be next for me as I’m running out of things to watch!

Also a Boomer here and I love Stranger Things. It kind of reminds me of being a kid in the 80’s (well more 70’s for me).

Reactions: ps241

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
OK homies

Thoughts?
Why not both?

I highly recommend Better Call Saul. It is as good - or better - than Breaking Bad, which I loved. They are different for sure, but I love the series. I also really enjoy seeing the development pre BB characters like Gus Fring, the Cousins, Hector Salamanca, Mike Erhmantraut and some new guys you won't see in BB like Lalo Salamanca and Nacho. There is a Winnipeg reference in BCS as well which is short but funny.

No disrespect to Stranger Things, as I've never seen more than the first episode.

JetsWillFly4Ever

May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
OK homies

Thoughts?
Those are two incredibly different but both fantastic shows.

Better Call Saul is a bit of a slow burn, it gets awesome in season 2/3 and keeps going though. I'm not caught up in the last half season that just came out but heard it is great as well.

Stranger Things comes out swinging and season 1 is amazing, the 80s aesthetic and nostalgia factor is really cool and will bring you back in time. The horror is pretty decently done and all the kid actors are great. Seasons 2 and 3 are a bit of a step down but Season 4 so far is a huge step up and may have even surpassed season 1 for me.

Can't go wrong with either!

Reactions: thereturn and ps241

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thanks for the feedback boys and it looks like I can't go wrong either way. Perhaps I will try both (as suggested) as the summer season goes on.

pateramus

Jan 10, 2013
Winnipeg
Does anyone watch The Challenge? They are currently filming season 38, but there is an All Stars season 3 coming out on CBS July 6. CTV's website has a bunch of seasons that can be streamed. I just started watching some of these this year and its quickly becoming one of my favorite shows. It's a reality show a bit like survivor in the sense of politics and forming alliances and they compete in challenges to gain power and to keep themselves in the game. But the challenges are way more extreme and entertaining. The show does have its share of drama so I realize it may be an acquired taste.

Last edited:

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I'd say any Breaking bad fan has to watch BCS at some point for sure. It's a great show. For me, it's not quite as great as BB though. I feel like at a couple times in BCS the writing has sort of fallen apart in a way that I never felt it did in BB. No matter what happened in BB, they found a way to work it out that made sense. Also, every season of BB had at least a couple really incredible "holy shit" moments. BCS has some of those too, but just not quite to the extent BB did for me. It is definitely more of a slow burn at times. But BCS is never NOT good...and totally worth watching.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I have also never watched Better Call Saul, but breaking bad was my favorite show. It may be next for me as I’m running out of things to watch!

Also a Boomer here and I love Stranger Things. It kind of reminds me of being a kid in the 80’s (well more 70’s for me).

Sold

Peaky Blinders drops tomorrow on Netflix for those of us who haven’t figured out how to fire stick it early.

Mooche

Feb 21, 2013
Winnipeg

Every time I see you post around the boards your avatar always serves as a reminder I need to watch DD again soon.

Figured now being this thread I can actually not be totally OT and throw you props on it.

One of my favourite movies ever. Period.

Sold

Peaky Blinders drops tomorrow on Netflix for those of us who haven’t figured out how to fire stick it early.

Dude, make sure to prioritize Peaky Blinders.

Part of the reason I think I was so-so on the Ozark final season was that I was able to sneak in the Peaky season before it.

Peaky blew it out of the water, IMO. Fantastic close to that show.

Reactions: macmaroon

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I binged all of Reacher today on Prime. Thought it was OK...although I thought the last couple episodes were sorta weak. .

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
Every time I see you post around the boards your avatar always serves as a reminder I need to watch DD again soon.

Figured now being this thread I can actually not be totally OT and throw you props on it.

One of my favourite movies ever. Period.

Dude, make sure to prioritize Peaky Blinders.

Part of the reason I think I was so-so on the Ozark final season was that I was able to sneak in the Peaky season before it.

Peaky blew it out of the water, IMO. Fantastic close to that show.
I love Donnie Darko as well. I love all mind **** movies. Movies that make me think about them for days afterwards. Mulholland Drive, Biutiful etc.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
So, sadly, I am working through the last season of Peaky Blinders. Very nice start to the 6th and final chapter.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
So, sadly, I am working through the last season of Peaky Blinders. Very nice start to the 6th and final chapter.
Treat it like a good Scotch and sip it slowly. Don't just chug it back in a couple of gulps. Set a limit of one episode a month so you have time to really savour it. :nod:

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
OK homies

Thoughts?

If you seen Breaking Bad, then Better Call Saul should be watched too ……..

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
download (48).jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Here is a tip for anyone that likes history dramas...

Das Boot a Sky Channel mini-series... based on the idea of the movie Das Boot but made into a TV mini-series...

I'm into the 3rd season and it just keeps getting better...

Hard to find, but worth it...

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Anyone watching Obi-Wan Kenobi on Disney? Worth my time?
Yeah it's good. Feels like Star Wars. If you like the Mandalorian you'll like Obi-Wan...maybe even moreso.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is pretty good too. Very much like the original series (with some of the same characters like Spock & Uhura and the Enterprise, pre-Kirk). Captain Pike is very Kirk-like.

SUX2BU

User of an ad-infested forum
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Ethan Hawke in Black Phone is now advertising in theatres

and on my phone ……:facepalm:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Yeah it's good. Feels like Star Wars. If you like the Mandalorian you'll like Obi-Wan...maybe even moreso.

Star Trek: Strange New Worlds is pretty good too. Very much like the original series (with some of the same characters like Spock & Uhura and the Enterprise, pre-Kirk). Captain Pike is very Kirk-like.
I think they've really captured the spirit of the original Star Trek. And this Nurse Chapel has pushed Dr Crusher down to #2 on my Hottest Regular Character on ST list. But Mariette Hartley's Zarabeth will forever be my great unrequited ST love. :nod:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think they've really captured the spirit of the original Star Trek. And this Nurse Chapel has pushed Dr Crusher down to #2 on my Hottest Regular Character on ST list. But Mariette Hartley's Zarabeth will forever be my great unrequited ST love. :nod:
It was hottie-of-the-week on the original series. Sexbots, green skin, wispy gowns...I guess they figured the space-faring adventure just wasn't enough.

New Nurse Chapel doesn't have the beehive hairdo yet, so I don't know.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad