OT: TV & Movie Suggestions

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Another vote for The Bear here. Hard to believe the producers and writers could wring that much tension from a kitchen.

The lead actor is exceptional in this and Ive never seen him in anything before, though I understand he was in Shameless.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Another vote for The Bear here. Hard to believe the producers and writers could wring that much tension from a kitchen.

The lead actor is exceptional in this and Ive never seen him in anything before, though I understand he was in Shameless.

Not to be disrespectful Spot'...

Have you ever worked in a high performance/high standards kitchen in a group/team setting... ?

If you had, you would have written your "hard to believe" line much differently...

J. A. White's character is change, expectation, trying to establish winning and co-reliance amongst a group in paradigm...

Not easy to do in measured environments... absolutely brutal in out-of-control situations, such as the "Food Critic" Rizzotto episode...

Not being critical or diminishing Spot'... but few can work successfully in those environments, never mind thrive....

Just an observation...

Thanks for your comments... and yes J. A. White nails the persona of a person that thrives/suffers in that environment...

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006

Have you ever worked in a high performance/high standards kitchen in a group/team setting... ?

If you had, you would have written your "hard to believe" line much differently...

J. A. White's character is change, expectation, trying to establish winning and co-reliance amongst a group in paradigm...

Not easy to do in measured environments... absolutely brutal in out-of-control situations, such as the "Food Critic" Rizzotto episode...

Not being critical or diminishing Spot'... but few can work successfully in those environments, never mind thrive....

Just an observation...

Thanks for your comments... and yes J. A. White nails the persona of a person that thrives/suffers in that environment...
I didn’t write my sentence correctly I suppose. It was meant to be more of a complimentary statement on the quality of the shows production that an assumption about the restaurant industry. The family tension and the work tension are just really well done.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Just an observation...

Ok so of all the stressful "workplace" situations they featured in season 1 what is the one that triggered your post Chef career but still have some PTSD nightmares the most. Mine was easy to choose but yours might be different.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Hey ps'... I can't say any of them triggered me so to speak or that one scene gave me a dark chill...

I suppose years of "The Business" has made me mature...

They are "yup" moments... I just nod or gently shake my head...

Though I still am a deep planner, think things through... I communicate with reason and purpose and mostly in a calm, positive manner to others. I model for others... return calls... return equipment promptly to where it belongs and in repair... fyi persons for just about any discourse I think they should know for the better... I support My peers in advance of a fall or when they have fallen... "yes Chef" My boss in spite of how I feel in the heat of the battle... and I know how to pivot instantly and have a good time and have a positive sense of humor and share it in and out of "the juice"... and I concede daily bitching or acting out in difficult situations certainly doesn't solve those situations, "I'm damned if I do damned if I don't" so "I just do"... I also understand how the smallest of details... the good habits... the repeated rhythm of modelling to oneself and others brings peace to all eventually... and a winning environment... having a sense of urgency for others is paramount...

I am here to help others...

Hey... maybe in Season 2 I will experience that cold shiver or wake up from a nightmare... I will be sure to tell you...

So far it's yup... yup...

Yup...

:laugh:

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Hey ps'... I can't say any of them triggered me so to speak or that one scene gave me a dark chill...

I suppose years of "The Business" has made me mature...

They are "yup" moments... I just nod or gently shake my head...

Though I still am a deep planner, think things through... I communicate with reason and purpose and mostly in a calm, positive manner to others. I model for others... return calls... return equipment promptly to where it belongs and in repair... fyi persons for just about any discourse I think they should know for the better... I support My peers in advance of a fall or when they have fallen... "yes Chef" My boss in spite of how I feel in the heat of the battle... and I know how to pivot instantly and have a good time and have a positive sense of humor and share it in and out of "the juice"... and I concede daily bitching or acting out in difficult situations certainly doesn't solve those situations, "I'm damned if I do damned if I don't" so "I just do"... I also understand how the smallest of details... the good habits... the repeated rhythm of modelling to oneself and others brings peace to all eventually... and a winning environment... having a sense of urgency for others is paramount...

I am here to help others...

Hey... maybe in Season 2 I will experience that cold shiver or wake up from a nightmare... I will be sure to tell you...

So far it's yup... yup...

Yup...

:laugh:

Yea is has been a long time since I have been in the line of fire operationally but I have to admit when they were working with the “new” tablet/take out system where the preorder function wasn’t deactivated and then when they go live the 250 orders rolled out on the sea of chits from the printer I felt they captured the horror of the crash moment well :laugh:. Also clever writing to do the all day prep update right before the printer started we we realized they were 10x short on almost every item. slick sequencing on that scene.

Reactions: John Agar

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Has anyone here tried “The Offer” yet? I think its loosley based on making ”The Godfather”?

Update: Just watched the first two episodes and its good.

Update 2: Ok so if you are a fan of The Godfather then this is a really good series. Miles Teller (Goose’s kid in Topgun, and Whiplash) and Giovanni Ribisi are two of the main actors and they both have interesting roles.

Last edited:

ThinIce61

Jul 11, 2018
The better half and I have started watching Dark Winds a series based on the books by Tony Hillerman featuring Leaphorn & Chee. Neither of us have read any of the novels so the story is new to us.

Halfway through the 6 episode first season and we are hooked. With only 6 episodes total for the season it's a quick binge before we move on to something else. The show has been renewed for a 2nd season.

Zach McClarnon and Kiowa Gordon are Leaphorn & Chee are main characters, 2 Navajo police officers in the '70's Southwest. Noah Emmerich plays an FBI agent(typecasting, lol, for those familiar with his role on The Americans).

Called a psychological thriller and certainly fits that description to this point with many interwoven(seemingly at this point) storylines going on.

Since this is winter in Manitoba this is a snow day option people can blow through in an afternoon or evening.

Can be found on AMC and AMC+

Recommended.

Reactions: macmaroon

R Zardo

Oct 4, 2022
The Bear was great. Best show I've seen in a while.

Extraordinary Attorney Woo. Netflix. Korean show subtitled. Light drama/comedy that pulls at your heart strings. Very good.

Bad Sisters. Apple. Dark comedy set in Dublin. Only saw the first episode, it was awesome.
finished it and thought it was very good. Will only be 1 season. My only complaint is the title gave me NBC sit-com vibes.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
RIP

1670296076998.png

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Bad Sisters. Apple. Dark comedy set in Dublin. Only saw the first episode, it was awesome.

I watched the first episode, they did a great job making that one dude be so unlikable that you immediately root for him to die.

Reactions: sipowicz

Royale With Cheese

----
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006

Best Picture

“All Quiet on the Western Front,” Malte Grunert, Producer

“Avatar: The Way of Water,” James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers

“The Banshees of Inisherin,” Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh, Producers

“Elvis,” Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Gail Berman, Patrick McCormick and Schuyler Weiss, Producers

“Everything Everywhere All at Once,” Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, Producers

“The Fabelmans,” Kristie Macosko Krieger, Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner, Producers

“Tár,” Todd Field, Alexandra Milchan and Scott Lambert, Producers

“Top Gun: Maverick,” Tom Cruise, Christopher McQuarrie, David Ellison and Jerry Bruckheimer, Producers

“Triangle of Sadness,” Erik Hemmendorff and Philippe Bober, Producers

“Women Talking,” Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Frances McDormand, Producers

What do you all think of the Oscar nominations?

From this list, I've see them all except Tar, Triangle of Sadness and Women Talking.

All Quiet on the Western Front was fantastic. I highly recommend it.

A movie not on this list but was amazing was Aftersun. The lead actor was nominated but not the film. A father or a single father more aptly will come away from this film thinking about it for a long, long time.

What films did you enjoy?

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I saw Elvis, Everything Everywhere All at Once, and Top Gun. Out of those three, I'd give the nod to EEAaO. Elvis was pretty good too. So was Top Gun, but not Best Picture.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
2022 movies I enjoyed:
- The Black Phone
- Dual
- X
- Pearl
- Barbarian
- The Menu
- Where The Crawdads Sing

Mia Goth got robbed of nominations. Her performance in “Pearl” was unreal.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Mayor of Kingstown is dropping season 2 and that series is very intense. I didn’t Know they were going to go past season 1.

Reactions: Buffdog

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Mayor of Kingstown is dropping season 2 and that series is very intense. I didn’t Know they were going to go past season 1.
Filmed in, and based on, Kingston Ontario

Lead singer of The Headstones is a co-creator with Taylor Sheridan

It'll be interesting to see what happens after this season with Renner's recent accident

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Filmed in, and based on, Kingston Ontario

Lead singer of The Headstones is a co-creator with Taylor Sheridan

It'll be interesting to see what happens after this season with Renner's recent accident

I had no idea that it was filmed in Kingston. I spent a fair amount of time in Kingston back in the day when I did business there. I didn’t realize Hugh Dillon was involved in the project but it makes sense since Dillion has appeared in multiple Sheridan projects (Yellowstone and Wind River).

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
I had no idea that it was filmed in Kingston. I spent a fair amount of time in Kingston back in the day when I did business there. I didn’t realize Hugh Dillon was involved in the project but it makes sense since Dillion has appeared in multiple Sheridan projects (Yellowstone and Wind River).
Didn't have to go far for the prison scenes...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad