OT: TV & Movie Suggestions

Jetland162702

Pup-peroni Junkie
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
Oppenheimer was pretty not too bad...
Today's CTV news online has a pretty interesting story about a Winnipegger who worked on the Manhattan Project.

1690910779370.png

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Silo (Apple TV+) is good if you like post-apocalyptic mysterious sci-fi. When I say "mysterious" I mean a bit like Lost, where you don't really know all the details of what's going on exactly and there's a long story arc. Silo is not fantasy though (Lost had a lot of supernatural elements), it's more sci-fi.

Speaking of Lost, I've been watching From. It's very Lost-like - even stars Harold Perrineau, who played Michael on Lost. Verdict...meh?

Star Trek Strange New Worlds is as close to the original series as you'll ever find. It's been getting a bit silly lately (crossover episode with the animated Star Trek Lower Decks, and a musical episode this week lol). But episodic, planet/weird-space-thing of the week type show.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Thanks for sharing!

Found season 2 to be very emotional as it was intense, and I never worked in the industry.

Ritchies evolution in season 2 was my favorite part, loved the way they developed his character from the first season to the next.

The Christmas episode was possibly the most intense thing I ever watched on TV where no one dies. Jamie Lee Curtis, John Mulaney and Bob Odenkirk were excellent in it.

Simple holiday dinner that was a freight train running off the tracks from the get go. The tension was insane

The Christmas episode was spectacular… nothing more personal and disarming than family disfunction…

But so many personal vignettes that were positive that I had personal connection… the great stuff… the positive stuff… through that whole 2nd season…

They learned to love and trust themselves… push beyond who they were…

And learned to care for each other… and had each others backs…

Thats the shit for me… totally allowed me to experience all the great things I got and persons got.. in my career in the Biz and those that I cared for and watched their backs.. felt it again…

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Yea no other series, movie, or TV show that I have seen comes anywhere near this one for capturing the all encompassing life style of the business (I am two episodes into season 2).

What I related to most is Carmy’s complete obsession with the business and how he has no work life balance. That was me from ages 21 to 49.
No shit…

Never is balance at the frontline in successful business… the Biz… no compromise…

I never could compromise… never would… it’s the best drug… because I helped others to learn to not compromise… be a winner… a champ… it’s a great gift…

Now I only have only myself to blame… and I don’t compromise… I look in the mirror every morning…drag my sorry soul out of bed on every business day… and most personal days…

And say to myself “It’s showtime” …

tenor.gif

Reactions: ps241

wpgfishfan

Apr 1, 2014
Yea no other series, movie, or TV show that I have seen comes anywhere near this one for capturing the all encompassing life style of the business (I am two episodes into season 2).

What I related to most is Carmy’s complete obsession with the business and how he has no work life balance. That was me from ages 21 to 49.

Episode 6 season 2 might be the best hour of television I've watched in years

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Dune (the 2021 movie). Character is Piter de Vries (a “twisted“ mentat) played by the actor David Dastmalchian.
Thanks, I kinda thought it had a Dune-ish look to it. I just watched it not too long ago, I guess he just didn't stick in my memory. OTOH Brad Dourif's twitchy Piter has stuck around, even though Lynch's adaptation is probably one of the worst in film history. :laugh:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Silo (Apple TV+) is good if you like post-apocalyptic mysterious sci-fi. When I say "mysterious" I mean a bit like Lost, where you don't really know all the details of what's going on exactly and there's a long story arc. Silo is not fantasy though (Lost had a lot of supernatural elements), it's more sci-fi.

Speaking of Lost, I've been watching From. It's very Lost-like - even stars Harold Perrineau, who played Michael on Lost. Verdict...meh?

Star Trek Strange New Worlds is as close to the original series as you'll ever find. It's been getting a bit silly lately (crossover episode with the animated Star Trek Lower Decks, and a musical episode this week lol). But episodic, planet/weird-space-thing of the week type show.
Just started Silo and I'm really liking it. First thing that came to mind: it's a vertical Snowpiercer (the series). Not as much of a class disparity but we do have a "tailie" becoming the new lawperson. So... Groundpiercer: 144 levels deep? :laugh:

And I do hope someone decides to run the 4th season of Snowpiercer. It's in the can, as they say and for all its flaws I still like it and want to see what happens next.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Just started Silo and I'm really liking it. First thing that came to mind: it's a vertical Snowpiercer (the series). Not as much of a class disparity but we do have a "tailie" becoming the new lawperson. So... Groundpiercer: 144 levels deep? :laugh:

And I do hope someone decides to run the 4th season of Snowpiercer. It's in the can, as they say and for all its flaws I still like it and want to see what happens next.
Yes there are a number of similarities with Snowpiercer...if you enjoy the premise of that, you'll enjoy Silo.

And I didn't know they had season 4 of Snowpiercer done already...is this one of those "we made it and we're never going to show it for tax write-off purposes" things that's all the rage these days at Warner-Discovery? Maybe if the SAG and WGA strikes drag on long enough they'll be forced to air some of this content.

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
Thanks, I kinda thought it had a Dune-ish look to it. I just watched it not too long ago, I guess he just didn't stick in my memory. OTOH Brad Dourif's twitchy Piter has stuck around, even though Lynch's adaptation is probably one of the worst in film history. :laugh:
Lynch’s Dune had some great visuals and atmosphere. I enjoyed Dourif’s portrayal.

A lot was cut from that theatrical release. What was released was pretty confusing if you didn’t read the book.

Jodorowsky’s Dune was an interesting watch.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Dune (the 2021 movie). Character is Piter de Vries (a “twisted“ mentat) played by the actor David Dastmalchian.
I was disappointed with how little show time all the mentats got in the 2021 Dune movie, especially Piter. He was basically a non-entity and non-factor. Same with Dr. Yueh ... when he betrayed the Atreides it had no emotional impact because you barely knew who he was -- and I know the story well as do my children. We were all very disappointed with that ... Yueh's betrayal in David Lynch's version by contrast is devastating because of how the relationship was built up. Somehow a single 2hr 17 min movie was able to pack in so much more character and relationship building than two 2 hr 35 minute films.

Overall I thought the Villeneuve film was excellent, this area was my one complaint, and held it back from being the complete masterpiece it could have been. I know Lynch's version is widely hated but he did the mentats and Dr Yueh much better (and with much less screen time to work with) IMO.

Yes there are a number of similarities with Snowpiercer...if you enjoy the premise of that, you'll enjoy Silo.

And I didn't know they had season 4 of Snowpiercer done already...is this one of those "we made it and we're never going to show it for tax write-off purposes" things that's all the rage these days at Warner-Discovery? Maybe if the SAG and WGA strikes drag on long enough they'll be forced to air some of this content.
I always liked Lynch's Dune myself and never understood the hate. There is an extended version with a bunch of deleted scenes added in on YouTube that makes it even better and adds stuff in. Four of my five children are big fans of Dune (Lynch version, novel, and now the Villeneuve version).

Lynch did a great job of designing the world and atmosphere. I think editing is where it floundered. I know lots of people hate Kyle MacLachlan as Paul Atreides. I thought he was fine although Chalamet is better and also much more the appropriate age.

Guffman

Apr 7, 2016
I was disappointed with how little show time all the mentats got in the 2021 Dune movie, especially Piter. He was basically a non-entity and non-factor. Same with Dr. Yueh ... when he betrayed the Atreides it had no emotional impact because you barely knew who he was -- and I know the story well as do my children. We were all very disappointed with that ... Yueh's betrayal in David Lynch's version by contrast is devastating because of how the relationship was built up. Somehow a single 2hr 17 min movie was able to pack in so much more character and relationship building than two 2 hr 35 minute films.

Overall I thought the Villeneuve film was excellent, this area was my one complaint, and held it back from being the complete masterpiece it could have been. I know Lynch's version is widely hated but he did the mentats and Dr Yueh much better (and with much less screen time to work with) IMO.

Totally agree. I wanted a lot more Piter de Vries in the 2021 version.

I also liked Lynch’s Dune but understand that A LOT was cut for the theatrical release.

Reactions: ERYX

enuffidiotsalready

Nov 25, 2019
Episode 6 season 2 might be the best hour of television I've watched in years
horror show. absolutely unbelievable. (edit to clarify, it is believable- which is what makes it so good)

not sure if it's been mentioned, but Fleabag on Amazon is also very good and darkly hilarious

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Just finished watching “To Catch a Killer” on Netflix and I enjoyed it. I thought Shaliene Woodley was very good in her lead role and I liked the cast since there were actors I was less familiar with.

Reactions: 10Ducky10

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Just finished watching “To Catch a Killer” on Netflix and I enjoyed it. I thought Shaliene Woodley was very good in her lead role and I liked the cast since there were actors I was less familiar with.
Ben Mendelsohn is a great actor. I enjoyed it too.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
He was in Bloodline as well which was a Netflix series set in the Florida Keys. He was exceptional in that.
Yup. Loved Bloodline - except the writing for the last season was truly awful.

A good hidden gem with Ben Mendelsohn and Ryan Reynolds is “Mississippi Grind”.

Andriano224

Aug 2, 2021
Hi all! Has anyone seen Christopher Nolan's Oppenheimer? What were your impressions? I went to the movies and really liked it. Although I have to say that I expected more dynamics. and it seems to me that they didn't open the path of the main character enough. I mean, how exactly and what achievements made him famous. maybe I didn't understand everything the first time. I can't wait until the movie appears on soap2day (httрs://sоap2dаy-1.cоm/) to watch it again. Maybe I missed something.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10Ducky10

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad