OT: TV & Movie Suggestions

Jack7222

Mar 17, 2021
For All Mankind on Apple is pretty brilliant. Season 3 just ended and it feels like each season you go on this epic journey over a long period of time... esp if you binge it.

I have to say, I'm not an Apple fan, don't own any of their products but Apple TV is such an amazing service when it comes to the quality of content. They don't have a lot of content but pretty much all the content they do have is such high quality that it has quickly become my favorite streaming service. Severance, For All Mankind, Ted Lasso, The Servant, Black Bird... they are absolutely killing it.

Best reason for me for Apply TV is Severance, which is... incredible. Office/work culture with sci-fi/black-mirror vibe (but lighter and more comedic than black mirror). Sadly season 2 is still a year away. Liked Ted Lasso too. Pretty impressive quality shows is right.

Also... anyone check out Nathan Fielder's The Rehearsal? Heh...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
It took me four attempts, but I finally got past the third episode of The Expanse. It was sure hard for me to get into it, but now that I have, I can see what all the fuss was about. Very interesting series, and I am certainly enjoying it. I am near the end of season three right now...:thumbu:
The expanse was great! At least for a while. When they killed off a certain character (trying not to spoil) the entire series flew off the rails.

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
The expanse was great! At least for a while. When they killed off a certain character (trying not to spoil) the entire series flew off the rails.
images (23).jpeg

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Any horror movie fans? Here’s a few that escaped my radar until last few weeks.

(Tubi)
Bone Tomahawk - Hills Have Eyes meets Once Upon a Time In The West. Kurt Russell in lead role, and some other great casting choices.

The Devil’s Candy - Ethan Embry was such a bizarre casting choice, but he pulled it off brilliantly. I’m normally not crazy on “possession” horror movies - this one is the rare exception.

(Amazon Prime)
Southbound - If you liked the V/H/S movies, I definitely recommend this one. It’s made by some of the same people.

Reactions: UFO and John Agar

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
Saw the new Top Gun flick last weekend. It gets a big ol' "MEH" from me. I don't know what all the hubbub was about...it's kinda terrible actually.

Reactions: B33R LEAGUE

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland

(Tubi)
Bone Tomahawk - Hills Have Eyes meets Once Upon a Time In The West. Kurt Russell in lead role, and some other great casting choices.

The Devil’s Candy - Ethan Embry was such a bizarre casting choice, but he pulled it off brilliantly. I’m normally not crazy on “possession” horror movies - this one is the rare exception.

(Amazon Prime)
Southbound - If you liked the V/H/S movies, I definitely recommend this one. It’s made by some of the same people.

Yes sir. I'm a horror film guy. I'm currently preparing my list for my road to halloween. by the way the Devil's Candy was great, especially the soundtrack.

Reactions: drumzan

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
If you like Vince Vaughn, “Brawl In Cell Block 99” is a fantastic revenge style movie. It’a not for the faint of heart as it has some very brutal scenes. But it’s just a great movie start to finish. Done by the same director who did Bone Tomahawk (which I also highly recommended above). You can find this movie on Tubi or Hoopla.

Reactions: UFO

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
If you like Vince Vaughn, “Brawl In Cell Block 99” is a fantastic revenge style movie. It’a not for the faint of heart as it has some very brutal scenes. But it’s just a great movie start to finish. Done by the same director who did Bone Tomahawk (which I also highly recommended above). You can find this movie on Tubi or Hoopla.

Thanks for the recommendation. I liked Bone Tomahawk as well. I haven't really watched anything great in a while. Well except may be Bodies Bodies Bodies, which was different from most movies. Can't wait to see Smile and Halloween Ends though.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Thanks for the recommendation. I liked Bone Tomahawk as well. I haven't really watched anything great in a while. Well except may be Bodies Bodies Bodies, which was different from most movies. Can't wait to see Smile and Halloween Ends though.
I hear Bodies Bodies Bodies is Boring Boring Boring. LOL

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
I hear Bodies Bodies Bodies is Boring Boring Boring. LOL

It's certainly different. The cast is extremely aggravating, but once the satirical aspect of it becomes obvious, it's a lot of fun.

you either like it or hate it. there is no in between. :D

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Down with covid, knocked a couple of shows off over the past couple of days.

The Bear was really good. Story about a brother who ran one of the top restaurants in the world, leaving it to take over his deceased brother’s dysfunctional deli restaurant in Chicago. This show is equally funny as it is intense. If you worked in a restaurant this shows a must.

Reboot is currently in its first season, 7 or 8 episodes in. Pretty funny comedy, about a rebooting a comedy show.

Reactions: John Agar

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

The Bear was really good. Story about a brother who ran one of the top restaurants in the world, leaving it to take over his deceased brother’s dysfunctional deli restaurant in Chicago. This show is equally funny as it is intense. If you worked in a restaurant this shows a must.

Reboot is currently in its first season, 7 or 8 episodes in. Pretty funny comedy, about a rebooting a comedy show.

What platform is “The Bear“ on.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba

Hey... thanks MrBo'...

The Bear is good...

In one of My operations, I had to pick up one of My guys from the lockup and find him a home and float him for a while... that episode hit home...

I would mention more support initiatives, but @ps241 and I have some cross connection on our business history and some of his employees know what I had to do for them so would complicate confidentiality...:laugh:

I also liked how the crew at the end re-purposed the crushed tomatoes and had a team meal...

So real...

Last edited:

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Another great horror movie is Pearl. Outstandig performance by Mia Goth. Very remarkable.

I found Terrifier 2 very mean and gory. It's carnage candy. However the story is extremely silly and diffuse and far toooo long (roughly 2h 20 mins). Besides, it features one of the best final girl in recent times. If you are into violence, gore and guts, it's for you.

R Zardo

Oct 4, 2022
If anyone has worked in a kitchen and likes tv about stuff like that, The Bear on Disney+ is great. Stressful watch but a great depiction of kitchen life and an interesting story.

The Bear was great. Best show I've seen in a while.

Extraordinary Attorney Woo. Netflix. Korean show subtitled. Light drama/comedy that pulls at your heart strings. Very good.

Bad Sisters. Apple. Dark comedy set in Dublin. Only saw the first episode, it was awesome.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

(Tubi)

(Amazon Prime)

Very delayed quote but the Barbarian movie on Disney+ is very good. Speak No Evil on Prime is good too.

Also, the new del Toro collection Cabinet of Curiosities is well worth checking out.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Very delayed quote but the Barbarian movie on Disney+ is very good. Speak No Evil on Prime is good too.

Also, the new del Toro collection Cabinet of Curiosities is well worth checking out.
Speak No Evil is on Shudder and AMC+, not Prime… although you can watch movies on Prime if you subscribe to those other services. I’ll check it out!

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Speak No Evil is on Shudder and AMC+, not Prime… although you can watch movies on Prime if you subscribe to those other services. I’ll check it out!

Yeah I just have them through Prime so I lump them all together.

If you have Shudder that 101 Scariest Movie Moments series is worth it too.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
Yeah I just have them through Prime so I lump them all together.

If you have Shudder that 101 Scariest Movie Moments series is worth it too.
Yup, I watched all episodes! Definitely gave me a few new ideas to watch. “I Saw The Devil” was a great Korean movie. Not a horror movie, but very intense and gory.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Hey... thanks MrBo'...

The Bear is good...

In one of My operations, I had to pick up one of My guys from the lockup and find him a home and float him for a while... that episode hit home...

I would mention more support initiatives, but @ps241 and I have some cross connection on our business history and some of his employees know what I had to do for them so would complicate confidentiality...:laugh:

I also liked how the crew at the end re-purposed the crushed tomatoes and had a team meal...

So real...

Shout out Bo and John……. “the Bear“ is Fire.

Reminding me I need to give a shout out to Chef @John Agar for mentoring both the top culinary leader in my company in Canada and Also the chef who got it all going in Ottawa and has since retired leaving behind a sea of talent. Both guys were out of his kitchen in Brandon. Pay it forward In life I guess. Thank you Chef I owe you big time.

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Shout out Bo and John……. “the Bear“ is Fire.

Reminding me I need to give a shout out to Chef @John Agar for mentoring both the top culinary leader in my company in Canada and Also the chef who got it all going in Ottawa and has since retired leaving behind a sea of talent. Both guys were out of his kitchen in Brandon. Pay it forward In life I guess. Thank you Chef I owe you big time.
Thank you for your kind words ps'...

My greatest wealth is all the champions that have helped me... now help others...

:thumbu:

Reactions: ps241

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad