Player Discussion Tuukka Rask - V - warning in OP

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Seems like this board is the only one that doesn't expect it's goalie to bail out a teammate after a turnover. Like he's the only goalie that's incapable of doing that. The first one was on him, sorry. Botched the dump, didn't communicate what he was doing and then gift wrapped that nylander goal with terrible rebound control. All 35 seconds after the Bruins finally scored. The second goal, terrible on Marchand, but again, it's not against the law to make a save there. I've actually seen it happen before.

I think he's a great goalie, and we are lucky to have him, but it's ok to call a spade a spade once in awhile.

Absolutely nobody is saying this. Nobody.

If the bolded were true, Rask would be giving up at least 20 goals a game. There are easily that many turnovers each game.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I've seen about a dozen people or more blame everyone but him for the first goal last night.

If you can't see the difference between that and the claim you made in the other post, then I can't help you.

(In short, you can expect the goalie to bail out your defense every time it effs up, but also not blame the goalie if he doesn't manage to do so 100% of the time.)

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Absolutely nobody is saying this. Nobody.

If the bolded were true, Rask would be giving up at least 20 goals a game. There are easily that many turnovers each game.

yup.

its more of the same "everyone can make a mistake except Rask" garbage. doesn't matter how bad the team plays infront of him he should be 100% perfect and always bail them out. Nevermind the fact that this team has been a clinic in how to have brutal turnovers and not clear the danger areas this series.

If not for Rask, this series is already over...4-2 the other way

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
yup.

its more of the same "everyone can make a mistake except Rask" garbage. doesn't matter how bad the team plays infront of him he should be 100% perfect and always bail them out. Nevermind the fact that this team has been a clinic in how to have brutal turnovers and not clear the danger areas this series.

If not for Rask, this series is already over...4-2 the other way

If not for a goalie with a 2.75 gaa and .908 save percentage? Are you serious?

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
Listen this series is not on Tuukka at all. He's not even on the list of issues. Team like Pitt and Wash wrapped it up by scoring 8 and 6 goals respectively. It's on the scorers, but sometimes, you have to have a timely shutout. Tim Thomas' most underrated game in 20011 was the 2-0 game 5 blanking of Tampa. Rask basically single handedly won the 2013 series vs NY and Pittsburgh. That's the guy we need right now, and it may not be "fair" or conventional, but these forwards are a mess right now.

If you need a shutout to win you deserve to lose

End of story

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
it's a constant! That was the most recent one. Have you found fault with our goalie, ever? I'm serious, because anything I ever read from you is making excuses for him.

People see what they want to see.

1. I have found fault with him.....plenty of times.
2. There is a difference between making excuses and assigning blame.....making excuses and providing context.....making excuses and simply describing events as they actually happened.....etc.

alg363636

Boo
Apr 25, 2014
Washington, DC
is that because you can't possibly expect your goalie to be the best player in the ice and win the game for you?

No because getting a shutout isn't that f***ing easy

A normal goalie gets what, 2-3 shutouts in the regular season? Yet now you're expecting them to get one in the most high pressure situation vs one of the best offensive teams in the league?

Anderson hasn't gotten a shutout in this series yet they still managed to tie it up.

Tuukka was our best player in game 4 by a landslide. I think he's been good to great in every game except game 5.

I think it's completely absurd to look at any single player on a team and expect them to win it for you. I think it's awesome when it does happen but needing that to happen to get a win is a recipe for disaster.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
is that because you can't possibly expect your goalie to be the best player in the ice and win the game for you?

Your need to go to the extreme to try to make a point is unnecessary.

OF COURSE you can expect your goalie to be the best player on the ice and win games for you. What you cannot reasonably expect is that they are actually going to do that more than once or twice every single series and pitch multiple shutouts.

Reactions: hoss75

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Rask wasn't good in game 5. Otherwise he's been good to great.
If Rask stands on his head, we go to overtime. But if he's got to do that again to get out of the first round, what's the friggen point?

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
Your need to go to the extreme to try to make a point is unnecessary.

OF COURSE you can expect your goalie to be the best player on the ice and win games for you. What you cannot reasonably expect is that they are actually going to do that more than once or twice every single series and pitch multiple shutouts.

I'll take one.

His last 26 play-off games

12-15 record.

13 of the 27 he's given up 3+ goals.

2-12 when he gives up 3 or more. 10-3 when he keeps em 2 or less. Lots of pressure on him to be as close to perfect as he can be.

Madturk

Oct 31, 2013
Florida
No this series is not on Tuukka. Aside from the stinker he laid in game 5, he's been pretty solid. Should have had this series wrapped up if the forwards can hit the side of a barn.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Rask was outstanding in the third, far and away their best player. If he was that guy the whole game, at minimum they make it to OT and have a chance for a miracle. We are not talking about a game where there was nowhere for him to improve, nothing he could have done.

First goal he was lazy and careless with the puck. Second I don't think he was ready for and he was off his angle. He looked lazy and lethargic for the first 40 minutes (tons of rebounds off easy shots).

In the third he looked like he had been given an adrenaline shot and kept them in it.

He wasn't the problem last night. But he wasn't the solution.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
2-12 when he gives up 3 or more. 10-3 when he keeps em 2 or less. Lots of pressure on him to be as close to perfect as he can be.

This is what it all boils down to. We won the Cup in 2011, not just because Thomas had an incredible Finals, but because the team scored a shit ton of goals and won games where Thomas wasn't all that good in the 3 rounds leading up to the Finals. People forget that, while he had 2 shutouts against Tampa, he also gave up 19 goals in the other 5 games against them. He also only had one game in the opening round 7 games against Montreal where he let up less than 2 goals.

We need some hint of scoring.....and we haven't gotten that consistently in the playoffs since 2013.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
At the Cross
youtu.be
This is what it all boils down to. We won the Cup in 2011, not just because Thomas had an incredible Finals, but because the team scored a **** ton of goals and won games where Thomas wasn't all that good in the 3 rounds leading up to the Finals. People forget that, while he had 2 shutouts against Tampa, he also gave up 19 goals in the other 5 games against them. He also only had one game in the opening round 7 games against Montreal where he let up less than 2 goals.

We need some hint of scoring.....and we haven't gotten that consistently in the playoffs since 2013.

Don't disagree at all.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Goalies get a lot of credit when a team wins, and they get a lot of blame when they don't.

I think Rask was the biggest reason they won game 4. He can also get blame when they lose. That's how goaltending works. We all know this.

The last three games the team with the better goaltender won. I doubt anyone disagrees with that statement.

Why is Freddy f***ing Andersen the guy that's true of in two of them?

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
Goalies get a lot of credit when a team wins, and they get a lot of blame when they don't.

I think Rask was the biggest reason they won game 4. He can also get blame when they lose. That's how goaltending works. We all know this.

The last three games the team with the better goaltender won. I doubt anyone disagrees with that statement.

Why is Freddy ****ing Andersen the guy that's true of in two of them?
Horseshoes.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
No this series is not on Tuukka. Aside from the stinker he laid in game 5, he's been pretty solid. Should have had this series wrapped up if the forwards can hit the side of a barn.

I don't think solid is enough...he needs to be OUTSTANDING. It's no coincidence that the only time we won the cup in the last 4 decades was when we had the best goalie who was also at his best during the playoffs. Rask is capable of that level of play but he's not in the zone as of now.

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
First goal he was lazy and careless with the puck. Second I don't think he was ready for and he was off his angle. He looked lazy and lethargic for the first 40 minutes (tons of rebounds off easy shots).

In the third he looked like he had been given an adrenaline shot and kept them in it.

He wasn't the problem last night. But he wasn't the solution.
This is exactly right, but some people can't understand that.

Last night he played well enough to win. But he CANNOT give up that first goal when he did. Just cannot happen. The fact that he started that pressure with a boneheaded play made it even worse.

He doesn't needed to be Tim Thomas ala 2011 finals every night, but he needs to stop letting in the backbreakers, which is exactly what his problem has been for a few post seasons now. Plays well overall, but the goals he does let in are at the absolute worst times.

Defense in front of him hasn't been great, I think everyone can see and understand that. But that doesn't absolve him for his play.

I think Rask is a superior goalie to Freddie Andersen, but Andersen has elevated his game to another level while Rask for the most part hasn't. Andersen was the only reason the Leafs didn't go down 3-0, or lose in game 5. Rask was great in G4, and stole that, so credit to him.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I don't think solid is enough...he needs to be OUTSTANDING. It's no coincidence that the only time we won the cup in the last 4 decades was when we had the best goalie who was also at his best during the playoffs. Rask is capable of that level of play but he's not in the zone as of now.

Thomas, for all that glory, gave up 17 goals in that opening series vs the Habs (and 19 goals vs Tampa Bay)

Rask has given up 15 vs Toronto (behind what I assume we can all agree is a FAR worse defense than the 2011 unit).

Context.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
The number of playoff games you're going to win by scoring 1 goal are few and far between.

He wasn't the problem last night, but I hate the timing on the first goal. That doesn't mean he can't play better, but they didn't lose because of Rask. They lost because our offense has suddenly gone anemic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad