Turcotte- time to worry?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Raccoon Jesus

Draft em but don't play em
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'm still not worried about his raw ability. I think people still paint him as some low-skill grinder when really he's a high-end complementary guy that is a line's engine and the reason other 'flawed' players like Kaliyev can be top-sixers, he's a line conscience and will be at the NHL level too. Think of a more talented Lizotte.

However, I AM worried about his injuries, as they've moved from fluky stuff like appendicitis to repetitive things.

He can't stare at his pass though. Guy got him up high but guys are going to go for hits like that and you need to be aware of it.

Def. needs to protect himself better.

I don't think he stared at his pass, you can see his eyes, he sees the player and the hit coming, but you can reasonably expect to not eat an elbow there. I wonder how much of it is in the name of drawing penalties. He's reckless but he's not clueless.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
He wasn't playing with Hughes or Zegras that much in his draft year, except for the powerplay. His most common teammate was Matt Boldy. He would sometimes play with Caufield.

And he put up 27 goals in 37 games for the USNTDP his draft year, of which, he put 12 goals in 16 games versus the USHL.

His scoring ability has tapered off at the higher level, but it's blatantly false to say he hardly put up goals in any level.

I think someone replying to you already kind of said it, but that age 17 season is unfortunately looking like an outlier season offensively, especially when it comes to goal-scoring output. Nothing before or after has really said goal-scorer, and that is what probably makes him more a third line guy than a 2nd line guy. If you score 10-15 less goals a season less than projection its a tough pill to swallow for a top 5 pick.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think someone replying to you already kind of said it, but that age 17 season is unfortunately looking like an outlier season offensively, especially when it comes to goal-scoring output. Nothing before or after has really said goal-scorer, and that is what probably makes him more a third line guy than a 2nd line guy. If you score 10-15 less goals a season less than projection its a tough pill to swallow for a top 5 pick.

I definitely agree that he's not a prolific goal scorer nor has he been, that shot is clearly the weakest part of his game.

HOwever, like Danault, he goes hard to the right spots, that's where he'll make his money.

Reactions: Trash Panda

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I'm still not worried about his raw ability. I think people still paint him as some low-skill grinder when really he's a high-end complementary guy that is a line's engine and the reason other 'flawed' players like Kaliyev can be top-sixers, he's a line conscience and will be at the NHL level too. Think of a more talented Lizotte.

However, I AM worried about his injuries, as they've moved from fluky stuff like appendicitis to repetitive things.

Def. needs to protect himself better.

I don't think he stared at his pass, you can see his eyes, he sees the player and the hit coming, but you can reasonably expect to not eat an elbow there. I wonder how much of it is in the name of drawing penalties. He's reckless but he's not clueless.
I'd have to watch again but I thought he didn't see the hit coming until he was eating it.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

tbrown33

Jun 22, 2019
I'd have to watch again but I thought he didn't see the hit coming until he was eating it.
1652478634121.png

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
He can't stare at his pass though. Guy got him up high but guys are going to go for hits like that and you need to be aware of it.
Yep, just poor situational awareness on his part by admiring his pass. He'll get destroyed doing that in the NHL, but that's even assuming he gets that far. Poor kid's career is going to come to an end before it ever gets started.

Reactions: kinghock

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I think what I'm trying to say is he embraces the pest role and the contact that comes with it but doesn't seem to realize yet that vs. pro men, they are going to kill you and you have ot protect yourself. It's like when Clifford came into the league fightiing like a junior

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Any updates?
Haven't seen any updates, but there's no way he's playing again this season... not after that hit. Well, then again, the season might be over soon for ONT so that isn't saying much

Reactions: funky

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
The amount of damage these kids have taken in the AHL has completely changed my mind on using the A as a developmental league. I’d much rather these kids keep playing against players their own age until they’re strong enough to play against men.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
At this point, I highly doubt Turcotte will ever play an impact role in the NHL.

It was a missed pick. It happens, even in the top five.

Of course, I’d love to eat crow on this.

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
The time to worry was when the Hawks passed up on him and so did the AVs. Both needed a center at the time but steered away from him. We took the bait when Cozen was a perfect fit to replace Brown as a right handed power forward + can play center. It's in the past now but we better find some gem forwards in later rounds.

Of course if Turcotte was drafted by another team below us he'll be playing in the NHL with a 50-pt season already ;)

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
The time to worry was when the Hawks passed up on him and so did the AVs. Both needed a center at the time but steered away from him. We took the bait when Cozen was a perfect fit to replace Brown as a right handed power forward + can play center. It's in the past now but we better find some gem forwards in later rounds.

Of course if Turcotte was drafted by another team below us he'll be playing in the NHL with a 50-pt season already ;)
That doesn’t make sense. Do you mean that we should only not worry about our pick if another team in front of us takes the player before us? Then he would not have been available to us.

Turcotte was a good pick at that moment. No one could have known that he’d sustain two concussions in a season.

The time to worry was when he got an eight game tryout on the Kings and made no impact at all. Now all I’m hoping for is that he doesn’t suffer long term problems due to concussions.

Reactions: King'sPawn

Mats26

Vet Movement - What's the Maatta?
Sep 16, 2005
That doesn’t make sense. Do you mean that we should only not worry about our pick if another team in front of us takes the player before us? Then he would not have been available to us.

Turcotte was a good pick at that moment. No one could have known that he’d sustain two concussions in a season.

The time to worry was when he got an eight game tryout on the Kings and made no impact at all. Now all I’m hoping for is that he doesn’t suffer long term problems due to concussions.

Turcotte developed in their backyard. I mean they got to see him grow as a kid and still thought he was not their first pick over Dach and maybe not even over Byram.

In retrospect that draft was deep, The Habs had Zegras #3 overall so who knows where Turcotte would fall if Kings picked later and other teams went to bat first. I feel after Byram was off the board it was just go for a "sure" 2-way thing.

Hope he gets healthy but his celling is seriously in doubt if he keeps getting hurt all the time.

Raccoon Jesus

Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Wait what??

Dach was a prototypical 'big' C that chicago needed and Colorado sure as hell did NOT need a C, at that point they were still stocking D (hell that same summer they traded Duchene for Girard). Neither of those is a condemnation of Turcotte at that time.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
its such a shame that the actions of other players can end someone’s career. not saying that’s what will happen to turcotte, but at a certain point enough has to be enough

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad