Value of: Turcotte + Kaliyev to Montreal

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Due to their cap constraints with Arvidsson likely cleared in a couple weeks, the Kings cannot afford to move any ELC forwards or accept any trades for a goalie that increase their cap.

They are actually in a very tough spot at the moment, and could be forced to send some of the kids that have been their better performers of late back to the AHL for cap reasons.

If they do move Kaliyev, it would be better to acquire a pick or a player that won't be on their cap for a year or two.

Plus, after moving five recent firsts in the last two years, the Kings "rebuild" doesn't have any forward other than Turcotte to bring up. All others would be a reach.

There is no really clean way out of their mess. They could put Lizotte on LTIR and deal their only really physical forechecker in Grundstrom to make a bit of space, but it would hurt. Turcotte is likely recalled by the time their season resumes and they don't really have any options.
Kaliyev may be interesting but is he really better then Beck, Roy or Mesar?

This is not really a high enough value trade to be worth making because it doesn't solve our need for top 6 forwards. Unless of course LA has a need for young NHL defenseman where we have a surplus.

The only realistic trades that the Habs would be interested is either forwards for our defenseman or high value trades for our first.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
When I look at Montreals roster I get tunnel vision and concentrate on Guhle.

He is exactly who LA would need, and exactly who Montreal wouldn’t give up
Guhle, X and Hutson are on our "protect from evil" list. Each for a different reason.

Our pile of young defenseman are currently in the 5-6 range with maybe 3-4 future. They won't fetch much more then the equivilant of mid six young forwards, which we also have coming up.

Reactions: funky

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Kings could do bragging about a cup win 10 years ago, but Canadiens can only brag about a cup with 30 years ago.
Your team is really in better position.
No we brag about all 24 cups not just one. Anyone seen the salt somewhere?

• Haha
Reactions: Groo

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Turcotte has been great this season and doesn't have much trade value. There's a lot more value in holding on to him and seeing how he progresses. No reason for LA to trade him.
huh?

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Guhle, X and Hutson are on our "protect from evil" list. Each for a different reason.

Our pile of young defenseman are currently in the 5-6 range with maybe 3-4 future. They won't fetch much more then the equivilant of mid six young forwards, which we also have coming up.
LA management traded too many prospects and picks during last 3 years.
King’s fans do not want to trade whatever left from talented prospect group, especially for not needed assets or inferior assets.
P.S. Kings really do not need D prospects if they are not big and physical or belong to very high level.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Zero interest in Turcotte. Cam see Kaliyev available for cheap in the offseason.

No to PLD. He is a King for life.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
The way I see it, both these guys have high upside and a low cap hit.... unless LA is ready to give up on one or the other for some reason, they are almost unmovable, and once LA is ready to pull the plug, it's likely going to cost a late 1st for either of them, at the least, that would be my starting point in any talks.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
Well look at that the fan asking for some of Mtl’s top prospects for players that have been disappointing. That is not a fair trade.

But for a fair trade MTL has Jordan Harris or Jayden Struble that can be added to second round pick(s) and or Jesse Yloven/Sean Farrel. Not sure if La needs left D though.

PS. Hockey DB won’t give you the right picture of these 2 Ds that play a pretty complete game and have a potential to become top 4 Ds

How does that move the needle? Labeling their players as disappointing certainly doesnt move the needle either.

Kings can get what you're offering from several teams.

Kingfan1967

Oct 6, 2017
Jake Allen cap hit 3.85 , Kaliyev cap .894 , Rittch cap .875, with the return of Viktor Arvidsson ( expected in 2-3 weeks) LA doesn't have any cap space for Allen. ( or anyone really , they should be very quite at the trade deadline).

Reactions: go4hockey

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
honestly why the hell would LA move both of them? turcotte just came up and blew the roof off, kaliyev's discontent may be resolved by the coaching change

Honestly, I'm not quite sure I'm seeing where a near 23 year old that's sub PPG in the AHL is "Blowing the roof off" by putting up a goal and an assist in a 2 game stint.

Which is not to say that Turcotte wont be an NHL player. I just don't think he ends up anywhere near worth where he was picked at, especially given some of the players that were picked from 6-15.

unicornpig

Dec 8, 2017
Honestly, I'm not quite sure I'm seeing where a near 23 year old that's sub PPG in the AHL is "Blowing the roof off" by putting up a goal and an assist in a 2 game stint.

Which is not to say that Turcotte wont be an NHL player. I just don't think he ends up anywhere near worth where he was picked at, especially given some of the players that were picked from 6-15.
cool, then there is no need for the habs to trade for him then.

Ducks

May 29, 2007
Tustin

Maybe, he doesn't end up meeting his draft potential, but he's been plagued by injuries the last few seasons so that's probably set him back in development. I'd give him a couple of healthy seasons before closing the book on him. That said, maybe he doesn't stay healthy and just never makes it, that's a possibility too... but the Kings would be crazy to part ways with him right now because they'd be selling low on him.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
AHL plus call up, great relative to his expectations at this point. Though he actually did look really good for the couple games he played with the Kings. Point remains that there's more value to the Kings to wait and see if he can put it together than there is to trade him as a bust.

Reactions: kinghock

alasania94

Sep 28, 2017
boy i bet you feel better having checked me on those semantics

it was an extremely good game for him
1 good game is all it takes for you guys to switch it seems - he's been dogged by LA fans for years so it's not just semantics lol

• Haha
Reactions: FSL KINGS

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
PLD for Gallagher
I really do not understand why some of King’s fans have so much hate directed to PLD.
He does not look good yet, but he will recover and will be at least as good as he was with Winnipeg.
You know patience is the virtue.

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Turcotte MAY still have a decent career in the NHL but right now, he's questionable.

He's worth more to LA then in a trade.

He's not the first or last player who didn't live up to his draft expectation AND hes not the first or last player that may yet turn it around and have a decent NHL career. It's just his trade value is not what LA fans like it to be and thats fine. He shouldn't be traded until given a decent chance in the NHL.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What would the Kings want for the two as a package.

I feel with Monahan out, Dach out until next season, Newhook seems good at wing.

Dvorak I think will be move in the offseason.

Turcotte seems like he could slot in nicely and develop into a #2-3 center if he progresses. I feel Kaliyev could thrive playing possibly in a top 6 role possibly with the Habs as well. Like his play style from what I’ve seen and also his name has been talked about being moved from the Kings.
Turcotte has bust written all over him to me. I wouldn't go there

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Turcotte put the team on his back the other day. Its not something just any player can do. His ability to stay healthy is the big question mark.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I really do not understand why some of King’s fans have so much hate directed to PLD.
He does not look good yet, but he will recover and will be at least as good as he was with Winnipeg.
You know patience is the virtue.

Would rather save the $2m in cap to be used on a Goalie. Plus less term is less. Plus PLD NMC kicks in this summer, so more of risk adverse instead of anti-PLD.

kinghock

Feb 1, 2011
Mahwah,NJ
Would rather save the $2m in cap to be used on a Goalie. Plus less term is less. Plus PLD NMC kicks in this summer, so more of risk adverse instead of anti-PLD.
I still believe PLD can be good second line center for Kings with proper coach motivator working with him.

Reactions: JetsFan815

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad