TSN's Top 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Any reputable list has him there. So....

The media loves him. So....

He was in a perfect situation. He helped Chicago remember it had a hockey team by winning 3 cups because he was on the team and put on a top line. Canada won medals with him. Yet he has only scored more than 70 points once in his career even with all the playing time he gets.

I am not saying he is bad or not good. I am saying he is in a perfect situation that got him to be loved by the fans and media. Popularity is more important and sells more jerseys and gets more clicks on your website than skill sometimes. Sometimes guys get popular because of skill and talent. Sometimes they get it for just being in the right situation at the right time.

You could put Toews on almost any other team and I am betting he is just seen as a mediocre player and the Blackhawks still win those cups and it would just be someone else that takes his place for the fame.

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
Why doesn't someone on here do a HF poster TOP 50?

Start a thread with where each poster can post their top 10 in order. Keep the thread open for a week and then use a point system to total it and see how it scores the top 50. I'm sure there will be homer votes but it should still be a pretty good representation.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014

Start a thread with where each poster can post their top 10 in order. Keep the thread open for a week and then use a point system to total it and see how it scores the top 50. I'm sure there will be homer votes but it should still be a pretty good representation.

But you can't go by points alone and there's no way to measure intangibles.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
The media loves him. So....

He was in a perfect situation. He helped Chicago remember it had a hockey team by winning 3 cups because he was on the team and put on a top line. Canada won medals with him. Yet he has only scored more than 70 points once in his career even with all the playing time he gets.

I am not saying he is bad or not good. I am saying he is in a perfect situation that got him to be loved by the fans and media. Popularity is more important and sells more jerseys and gets more clicks on your website than skill sometimes. Sometimes guys get popular because of skill and talent. Sometimes they get it for just being in the right situation at the right time.

You could put Toews on almost any other team and I am betting he is just seen as a mediocre player and the Blackhawks still win those cups and it would just be someone else that takes his place for the fame.

He is recognized for his contributions other than offense in All-star voting where he garners more votes than other centres who scored more. And his playoff PPG and resume certainly deserves recognition as being among the best since the lockout.

Your opinion that he would be a mediocre player on most other teams is more ridiculous than claims he is the best.

Last edited:

TheRexman

Just have fun
Jul 5, 2015
Quebec City
But you can't go by points alone and there's no way to measure intangibles.

Not player point totals. I mean 10th overall in your list is worth 1 point and 1st overall in your list is worth 10 points. Once everyone has chosen, tally up the points based on each person's ranking.

When you rank your players, your ranking them on your perceived value so include all the intangibles you like.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site

Check the poll section. There are multiple best player threads already.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Malkin hasn't done much the last 2 years. He shouldn't be in the conversation. Since his 2009 Cup run, there wasn't any year he was great and Close to the best Player. Since then, there were 5 other Cup Winners.

Toews could score more if he Plays in the offensiv oriented eastern conf and if his Team wouldn't be a defensiv oriented. He has much more to do on the ice than just score.

Lol the classic excuse. Funny how a guy like Benn or the Sedin twins can win the Art Ross in the West but Toews never comes close.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Malkin is too inconsistent, misses too much time, and plays crappy defense. This isn't 3 years ago

Okay. Let's just use the past three years then.

Toews: 205-79-103-182
Malkin: 160-60-115-175

Despite playing forty-five less games, Malkin is only seven points back of Toews. And he's accomplished this with garbage linemates. But please, go on about how much better Toews is.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Despite playing forty-five less games, Malkin is only seven points back of Toews. And he's accomplished this with garbage linemates. But please, go on about how much better Toews is.

Yes but Malkin doesn't have defense and intangibles.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
"Oh man were going against Vancouver. I really hate to go against the Sedins"

-things said in 2011

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
"Oh man were going against Vancouver. I really hate to go against the Sedins"

-things said in 2011

Are you being sarcastic? Because teams did hate going against them, or did you forget that Toews' magic intangibles couldn't even get the Blackhawks past them?

TurdFerguson

Jul 29, 2012

Why is playing 45 less games a good thing? Did he help his team win games he didn't play?

I'm not arguing Malkin vs Toews, but playing less games is always worse.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Malkins ranking doesn't bother me, he has been inconsistent and injury prone since 2012. Doesn't really speak for his ability though, because when on his game his only comparables in the league are Crosby and Ovechkin.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Are you being sarcastic? Because teams did hate going against them, or did you forget that Toews' magic intangibles couldn't even get the Blackhawks past them?

Yep, they were great players, two of the very best of the best... back then.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Uh... really? I looked at his most frequent forward linemates over the past 3 years, and saw nothing but 20+ goal scorers.

'14/15: Comeau, Kunitz, Hornqvist - PP: Crosby, Hornqvist, Kunitz
'13/14: Jokinen, Neal, Crosby - PP: Crosby, Kunitz, Neal
'12/13: Neal, Iginla, Kunitz - PP: Neal, Kunitz, Crosby

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Who is better = who contributes more to the team winning. You're not contributing when you're missing 20 games a year.

And someone can just as easily argue that better is someone with a better PPG average.

Better by definition is in the eye of the beholder.

Ragamuffin Gunner

Lost in the Flood
Aug 15, 2008
Boston
I already addressed this

Here's Toews "not living up to the rankings"

jonathan-toews-nhl-stanley-cup-final-tampa-bay-lightning-chicago-blackhawks.jpg

I figured out why you are defending Toews so hard. You just don't understand the criteria that goes into determining a player's individual worth (hint: it's not +/- or team accomplishments). It all makes sense now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad