TSN's Top 50

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Don't even bother. At least some Hawk fans are trying to present arguments for discussion.

Would you consider Toews 2014-15 season a disappointment?

It is interesting that Summer 2009 in any Crosby vs. Ovechkin thread (there were 10,000 of them) every page had a picture of Crosby with the Cup. I wonder if you were similarly disgusted then. :shakehead

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Would you consider Toews 2014-15 season a disappointment?

It is interesting that Summer 2009 in any Crosby vs. Ovechkin thread (there were 10,000 of them) every page had a picture of Crosby with the Cup. I wonder if you were similarly disgusted then. :shakehead

If the players are very close in skill then playoff success is a good tie breaker.

The problem is, Toews is closer to someone like Bergeron than Crosby when it comes to hockey skill.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Then we might as well make the top-25 players on this list the Hawks roster for this past year right?

Keep mowing down them strawman.

And Toews is ranked below Crosby. So what's your issue? That he's below Carrie Price? Come on.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Keep mowing down them strawman.

And Toews is ranked below Crosby. So what's your issue? That he's below Carrie Price? Come on.

No, but he shouldn't be above guys like Tavares and Ovechkin who are clearly better individual players than him.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Toews is easily a better hockey player than Tavares or Malkin. There's more to the game than points.

Yes, but a 35% difference in production is significant, and can not be closed with intangibles, especially when Malkin is a Conn Smythe winner in his own right.

Toews is nowhere near Malkin. Unless you think that by changing Toews for Malkin, you get a 35% reduction in goals against (keeping the other 4 players the same) which is absurd and obviously not possible.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada
Toews is easily a better hockey player than Tavares or Malkin. There's more to the game than points.

Weird how a guy who's SO great defensively has all of 1 Selke trophy

Not to mention 0 first-all star team appearances and only 1 on the second all-star team

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Yes, but a 35% difference in production is significant, and can not be closed with intangibles, especially when Malkin is a Conn Smythe winner in his own right.

Toews is nowhere near Malkin. Unless you think that by changing Toews for Malkin, you get a 35% reduction in goals against (keeping the other 4 players the same) which is absurd and obviously not possible.

Malkin is too inconsistent, misses too much time, and plays crappy defense. This isn't 3 years ago

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Malkin is too inconsistent, misses too much time, and plays crappy defense. This isn't 3 years ago

And yet he still outscores Toews while playing with garbage for linemates.

The one year he had good offensive player on his wing he left the rest of the league in his dust.

Malkin has played 20 more games than Toews and scored 200 more points. I couldn't imagine how big that gap would be if Malkin had Kane, Hossa, and Sharp at his disposal.

Oct 18, 2011
And yet he still outscores Toews while playing with garbage for linemates.

The one year he had good offensive player on his wing he left the rest of the league in his dust.

Malkin has played 20 more games than Toews and scored 200 more points. I couldn't imagine how big that gap would be if Malkin had Kane, Hossa, and Sharp at his disposal.

yeah but toews obviously saved 200 more goals duh

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
Didn't read the whole thread, but only seen one person bring up Eichel, while several people are saying McDavid should be top 3(even seen better than Gretzky). What's wrong with that picture?? Eichel has looked fantastic.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It's fun watching the debate between those who value complete players, and those who value regular season fantasy pool MVPs. :laugh:

I would have been fine with Toews anywhere in the top 10. At that point everybody is elite, and it's just about which skill-sets and accomplishments you value more. #2 is fine with me, though I can see arguments for others.

I can see why people have an issue with him being so high, and Kopitar and Bergeron being comparatively low though, even if both Kopitar and Bergeron missed the playoffs. Cups are obviously going to bring a halo effect, but Bergeron and Kopitar should both be higher too.

Daz28

Nov 1, 2010
It's fun watching the debate between those who value complete players, and those who value regular season fantasy pool MVPs. :laugh:

All 'lists' are subjective. Toews should be a top 3 on a 2-way forward list, but maybe not so high on an all talents inclusive list. Not even sure how you compare forwards to goalies to defensemen on any list anyways. It's really just silliness followed by silly banter.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Kessel may be too high.... but it makes up for 3-4 years of him being ranked criminally low.

Scoreburn

Jul 13, 2011
I find it amusing that a team that made the playoffs last year has 0 players on this list and there are multiple teams with 2-3 players on this list that did not make the playoffs.

malkshake

Jan 12, 2012
Vancouver
If Toews is #2 then why isn't Hossa ranked near him? Why is Hjalmarsson not ranked above Weber, Suter, Subban, and Karlsson? The guy has 2 cup rings to a combined 0 for the others. This list sucks. :sarcasm:

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I find it amusing that a team that made the playoffs last year has 0 players on this list and there are multiple teams with 2-3 players on this list that did not make the playoffs.
You're right, it's like hockey is a team sport where even talented individuals don't automatically guarantee a team's successs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad