TSN: TSN1040 Vancouver: Contract talks with Gallagher have stalled and broken off

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yep Godin raised the same point. Bergevin is handing out money to 'outsiders' (Edmundson, Anderson and Toffoli) but it would send the wrong message to the rest of the team if they don't treat Gally fairly in these contract negotiations. I do think that MB is playing the media but this could get nasty a la Markov/Radulov get a dog if he's not careful with what he says.

Thing is, MB let Markov walk. I don’t think he’ll hesitate to do the same with Gally if he doesn’t meet the team’s needs/demands.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Stop bringing up pre Covid salaries. Pietrangelo is making less than subban and he’s miles better.
Covid hit. People in all sorts of situations industries took pay cuts. Pro sports will be no different
Tell that to Anderson and his deal, there is no way in hell that Gallagher will take less than 6M COVID or not. By principle MB said he'd become our highest paid forward. So minimum possible is 5.6+ Also, Gallagher is not a Hoffman or Granlund, he'll be coveted by other GMs just like Pietrangelo and Hall were. And I don't really get the whole Pie vs Subban argument when we're talking about a 200K difference here...

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Gallagher is better. Not 2 million a year better. That’s all I’m saying
Salary hierarchy on the Habs means he will have to slot in as the Habs highest paid forward.

There's no way around that IF you wanna retain Gallagher.

If that's something Bergevin can't stomach, then he should either

A) keep him and let him walk next offseason

B) trade him

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home
Gerry Johannson, agent for Brendan Gallagher, says contract talks have broken off with the Habs. Although Gallagher still has a another year on his deal so time for this to iron itself out. But talks have obviously not gone great so far.

MB did not like what this agent said

Zorba

May 26, 2011
DELTA BC
Salary hierarchy on the Habs means he will have to slot in as the Habs highest paid forward.

B) trade him
It will be B. I love Gallagher. By far my favourite player. But those 6 X 6 contracts to 29 year olds have almost all backfired.

Hins77

Apr 2, 2013
I like the way bergevin negociate with free agents, he is playing hardball and thats okay to mee. I prefer to see an overpay gallagher in vancouver than here. Who wants andrew ladd, okposo, van riemadyk today? Most of the time, except panarin, ufa arent the big deal. You will be able tonfind good complementary player thought, but you will have to overpay most of the time When you manage a team with a salary cap. Only 1 millions in aav, too high on one player, can cause many problems for a Gm

Gravity

Generational Poster
Feb 27, 2017
In a Barred Spiral

B) trade him
It will be A) according to thought number 2 from Friedman posted in another thread by @Adam Michaels

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Gerry Johannson, agent for Brendan Gallagher, says contract talks have broken off with the Habs. Although Gallagher still has a another year on his deal so time for this to iron itself out. But talks have obviously not gone great so far.

MB did not like what this agent said

BGally said

"I WANT THE CHANCE TO BE A WINNER" < shots fired

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013

B) trade him

He said himself that he would happily make Gallagher the highest paid Habs forward. So I'm pretty sure he's offering him something coherent to that.

Now, there's a difference between a symbolic 5.75M deal, and the 7M Gallagher may be asking.
I'm sorry, but 7M bucks for Gallagher is a no go and no matter who gives it to him is going to sorely regret it.
Gallagher said a few weeks back that winning was everything to him. Time to walk the talk.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Lol. Bringing up the nfl showa your knowledge. Biggest tv deal in the world of sports. Team salary cap put by tv contract.
Usually if you want your point to be heard, you don't start it off with a personal insult. Goodbye. :)

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Steven Stamkos took a huge discount to stay with the lightning and look, he lifted with the cup without playing more than 3 minutes. Take a discount, you'll have better teammates and a better team around you than can almost carry you.

Gallagher said he wants a competitive team around him. Well he got it now, we'll see how much he asks. Anything over $6M (on a flat cap) and 5 years is an overpay.
Stankos took a discount but is take home pay is still very similar to what he would have made in most other city and he also got 8 years vs. 7 years... I can see why Gallagher want to get paid if we gave all that money to Anderson, Price, PK/Weber, Petry why does he have to take a discount?

Reactions: Skip Bayless

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Let’s get into a Ladd, Lucic , okposo situation

Don't get me wrong - I do not want to give Gallagher any amount of term and have been preaching trading him before a long term deal.

I am merely commenting on how the negotiations will go.. Toffoli helps, but Drouin & Anderson give Gallagher an argument for his ask.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad