TSN: TSN1040 Vancouver: Contract talks with Gallagher have stalled and broken off

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I don't love the Anderson contract but it really should not affect Gallagher. Anderson is two years younger than Gallagher and his 7 year contract starts this year. That will make him 33 at the end.

A four-year extension for Gallagher would take him to 33 as well, and he will and has surely been offered more than $5.5M that Anderson got. Bergevin himself said publicly Gallagher will be the highest paid forward on the team, AFTER he signed Anderson. $6.5M x 4 is no insult!! The problem is that Gallagher seemingly told the Habs he wants much longer term. The club can't commit to a big dollar contract to age 36 or 37 in today's context. That has nothing to do with Anderson actually.

Full agreed with the bolded. Not only is Anderson on a 'younger' timeline, his speed / size / shot as of today all appear to be a level above Gally's.

And I think to be fair to the org, the AAV they can offer Gallagher may even depend on what they 'need' to fork out to keep Danault with no immediate replacement in sight.

(and this wouldn't be an issue if Poehling was close to being able to eat 3C minutes instead of projecting like Jay Beagle, but I'm half-kidding here and am not even sure you remember this from 18 months ago at the end of the OHL playoffs when we discussed Poehling & Suzuki... I know I know, Nick won't be Paul Kariya but at least like Paul he projects as a top 6 forward now)

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
In addition to the objective value of Gally in terms of stats, comparables, etc., what might make this more complicated is what the contract he gets (or doesn't get) says to the rest of the team and the other players in the league about how Montreal treats its players. If the players on the team see that giving 110% every game and giving your heart to the team for years gets rewarded, then they are more likely to do the same. If the players on the team see that management's attitude is that this doesn't matter and all that matters is a clinical evaluation of stats, comparables, etc., then why would the other players give that 110%?
If UFAs see Montreal as a place that fosters and rewards all-out effort then they are more likely to see Montreal as a place they would like to play than if they see Montreal as a place that doesn't reward effort and loyalty but simply discards players who sacrifice themselves for the team the minute it thinks they can get some marginal benefit by doing so.
Business is not just math - it's people too.

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I’m not into downplaying Gallagher’s role. I’ve always thought he was a key player and I don’t see the purpose in swapping for another UFA. Keep Gally and see how it playsout.

Your reaction, and the one of many fans, is based on emotions and not on reason.

It's not about downplaying Gallagher's role. It's about realizing he's not enough of a rarity in this league to warrant handing a blank cheque over to.
I want Gallagher signed to fair market value. Signing him at any cost is not rational.

Reactions: bsl and dralaf

WeThreeKings

Demidov is a HAB
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
In addition to the objective value of Gally in terms of stats, comparables, etc., what might make this more complicated is what the contract he gets (or doesn't get) says to the rest of the team and the other players in the league about how Montreal treats its players. If the players on the team see that giving 110% every game and giving your heart to the team for years gets rewarded, then they are more likely to do the same. If the players on the team see that management's attitude is that this doesn't matter and all that matters is a clinical evaluation of stats, comparables, etc., then why would the other players give that 110%?
If UFAs see Montreal as a place that fosters and rewards all-out effort then they are more likely to see Montreal as a place they would like to play than if they see Montreal as a place that doesn't reward effort and loyalty but simply discards players who sacrifice themselves for the team the minute it thinks they can get some marginal benefit by doing so.

If they don't already know this from how they handled Subban, Pacioretty and Markov - they will never know.

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
It’s funny how these so call TSN insiders. I mean it’s the agents who give them the details and use them to connect to the fans.

take Gallagher for example. The agents aren’t happy with the negotiations then gives details to an insider like Lebrun or Dreger who reports in their website and we read and we think Bergevin is low balling Gallagher. Now he could be traded. It’s all about negotiations. Gallagher still has another year left. He ain’t getting traded. Agents give insiders a little cookie help you stay in the business of insider and help us with negotiations

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
Your reaction, and the one of many fans, is based on emotions and not on reason.

It's not about downplaying Gallagher's role. It's about realizing he's not enough of a rarity in this league to warrant handing a blank cheque over to.
I want Gallagher signed to fair market value. Signing him at any cost is not rational.

Brendan, you know we needed goal scoring. You get that. And you remember the shots you took on Carter Hart in the playoffs.

So I have a bit of a proposition here. We'll set High, Medium and Low AAV numbers based on past performances. We'll discuss term after.

Whether you get the High, Medium or Low AAV depends on you. In an NHL All-Star Competition Shooting Accuracy three-way duel, you'll be facing Tyler Toffoli and Josh Anderson.

You beat them both -- you get the High AAV. You beat one of them and it's the Medium AAV. You know where I'm going with this.

Now go get dressed please, they're both on the ice waiting for you.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013

Agreed and it's not even a question of signing Gallgher to a big contract, it's signing him to a deal he's happy with.

Personally I don't have a problem with signing him 6 years, even if there is a big dropoff in his play for those final few years (Which is not guaranteed in the slightest) it's irrelevant since we have Price and Weber taking up 18m in cap space those final few years while they are late 30s.

If you are that worried about his play dropping off then you structure the deal so that it's buyout friendly and/or easily tradeable to teams with internal budgets.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
It’s funny how these so call TSN insiders. I mean it’s the agents who give them the details and use them to connect to the fans.

take Gallagher for example. The agents aren’t happy with the negotiations then gives details to an insider like Lebrun or Dreger who reports in their website and we read and we think Bergevin is low balling Gallagher. Now he could be traded. It’s all about negotiations. Gallagher still has another year left. He ain’t getting traded. Agents give insiders a little cookie help you stay in the business of insider and help us with negotiations

A hockey leauge in Europe just canceled the season today
Is NHL goona be able to play this season in a non bubble?

If the season gets canceled ,well that means OV8 is a UFA so is BGally an many other players.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc McKenna

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Gallagher’s been a joy to watch, and has been playing on a sweet heart deal. But the guy understandably wants to cash in for his one chance at a huge payday. Don’t blame him. But MB would be wise to not pay him for past success, as his next contract could be ugly. The most clinically smart move is to trade him- what with Toffoli, Anderson and soon to be Caufield on the right side.

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Brendan, you know we needed goal scoring. You get that. And you remember the shots you took on Carter Hart in the playoffs.

So I have a bit of a proposition here. We'll set High, Medium and Low AAV numbers based on past performances. We'll discuss term after.

Whether you get the High, Medium or Low AAV depends on you. In an NHL All-Star Competition Shooting Accuracy three-way duel, you'll be facing Tyler Toffoli and Josh Anderson.

You beat them both -- you get the High AAV. You beat one of them and it's the Medium AAV. You know where I'm going with this.

Now go get dressed please, they're both on the ice waiting for you.

So who did Anderson beat out in this shooting competition to get his big money contract?

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
So who did Anderson beat out in this shooting competition to get his big money contract?

Obviously you know I wasn't being serious with that parody.

Better mitts than Gally, more speed, and Gally's shot looked like shit in the playoffs. Just a better shooter. Not sure how much you know about Andy.

Reactions: dralaf

OB5

May 2, 2015
Intense. Looks like this is a real issue. I think time will take care of this and once the dust has settled Gallagher will sign a long term extension with the Habs.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Intense. Looks like this is a real issue. I think time will take care of this and once the dust has settled Gallagher will sign a long term extension with the Habs.

only one way this could have LEAKED.....this was LEAKED OUT
Bergy could be angry at someone right now.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
It was brought forth by his agent. No leak, this was an intentional play by Gallagher's agent.

that's likley who Bergy is mad at right now...the LEAKER ..lol

Came from a Vancouver media source<who broke the news

And , when GM 's get mad ...a lot of times players get dealt .

Obee Juan

Mar 8, 2020
Bergevin does not like it when players play hard ball with negotiations. Domi, Subban, Pacioretty, Markov are a few who played hard ball and they all found their way out of town

Reactions: Habaneros

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
It depends on what the return is and how he is replaced.
What if the return is a top prospect?
What if moving Gally allows them to keep Danault?
What if they’re able replace him with Hoffman?
If caufield lights it up and lands in the top 6 with Anderson?

If they trade Gally and don’t replace him, sure, it will hurt. He’d have to see what is done with the return or available cap space.

Keeping Danault is not a factor that is relevant in moving him now. I don’t care about a prospect the team is currently as good as it can get under the cap in my opinion.

Why are you talking about blank cheques? I’ve never mentioned that I am talking about keeping him this season without extending him necessarily.

I’ve never mentioned signing him at all

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
that's likley who Bergy is mad at right now...the LEAKER ..lol

Came from a Vancouver media source<who broke the news

And , when GM 's get mad ...a lot of times players get dealt .
Nah...MB has all the leverage, he knows it and the agent knows it, but it was the agents only option left...these are different times.

IMO the solution is pretty straightforward:

Flat cap and escrow for next 3-years, give Gallagher a heavily backloaded deal with large bonus in years 4 & 5. Since players are trying to avoid the escrow payments during the flat cap period.

i.e say 5-yr @ $6.5M AAV (have to include a Mtl sweetener)
- $4M for years 1-3
- years 4 & 5: base salary $1M + $10.25M bonus each year, or any combination of bonus he wants amounting to $20.5M over final two years of the deal.

Tatar & Allen will be off the books next offseason:
$9.3M+ frees up, Gallagher takes $6.5M leaving $2.8M to go towards Danault. With one of Chiarot / Edmundson likely to be taken in expansion draft that frees up another $3M+

Sorinth

Jan 18, 2013
Obviously you know I wasn't being serious with that parody.

Better mitts than Gally, more speed, and Gally's shot looked like shit in the playoffs. Just a better shooter. Not sure how much you know about Andy.

I get it, but it also highlights the disrespect towards Gallagher. He has to prove himself when others don't. And that's despite the fact that he's had the better career.

Not too mention who cares how well someone does in an all star game shooting competition. Go watch the Glen Metropolit video where the Habs ran a shooting competition that he dominated.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Nah...MB has all the leverage, he knows it and the agent knows it, but it was the agents only option left...these are different times.

IMO the solution is pretty straightforward:

Flat cap and escrow for next 3-years, give Gallagher a heavily backloaded deal with large bonus in years 4 & 5. Since players are trying to avoid the escrow payments during the flat cap period.

i.e say 5-yr @ $6.5M AAV (have to include a Mtl sweetener)
- $4M for years 1-3
- years 4 & 5: base salary $1M + $10.25M bonus each year, or any combination of bonus he wants amounting to $20.5M over final two years of the deal

they simply ask for a trade...MB got no leverage

If the season gets canceled BGally is a UFA in a few months time<<he can just walk away

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I get it, but it also highlights the disrespect towards Gallagher. He has to prove himself when others don't. And that's despite the fact that he's had the better career.

Not too mention who cares how well someone does in an all star game shooting competition. Go watch the Glen Metropolit video where the Habs ran a shooting competition that he dominated.

I've said it before, this Anderson contract pays on Potential while Gallagher wants to get paid on Achievements. It's not disrespect, it's a disconnect in expectations. Bergevin is assessing value on what he thinks players will put up in the 2020's. He's not the only GM to use that line of thought.

Of course "who cares", you knew that was a parody so why bring it up again? Gally's shot still sucks donkey balls. No disrespect.

Reactions: dralaf

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
I get that we're excited about our new toys, but allowing Gallagher to slip away would be a huge blow. I don't see how we'd gain anything close to what we'd lose if he's traded. Futures? Great, except this is a win-now roster and Gallagher is a win-now player.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
We have to keep Gally this season and go all in with the deep line-up we have now because next off season Bergevin will have a deal to mess with.

6 key players on the NHL roster, like 80% of Laval needs new contracts.
If Tatar and Gally are to get traded at the deadline, might as well try to trade Tatar now and trade Kulak or something and use the money to sign Hoffman.

Last this Habs need is a disgruntled Gally. You know how fast management gets rid of players you are disgruntled and end up trading him for beans.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad