TSN: TSN1040 Vancouver: Contract talks with Gallagher have stalled and broken off

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I'd let Tatar and Lehky walk first before Gally.
I wouldn’t let Suzuki and KK walk before Gally and that’s about it. Having said that he can’t expect to try and claw back the millions he thinks he missed while on his sweetheart deal, especially in the currently economic climate. 8x$5.75

Reactions: Ozmodiar

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Yup. Gallagher is too important to the team to let him walk. Obviously if signing him proves impossible, he must be traded for similarly valued assets. It's kind of funny how every time we hear rumblings contract wise, the first reaction is "trade that bum!". An awful lot of you sound like that guy who says "I don't understand why girls don't like me, I'm a nice guy!" Followed by "you're not that hot anyways". Like seriously, take your emotions out of this equation and look at what Gallagher has meant for this team since he's been here. This guy is everything the Canadiens currently stand for. They simply won't allow him to leave unless he specifically insists on being traded. What a farce some of your responses are.

For everyone else who is not so delusional, kudos.

To preface my response, I am a Gallagher fan and prefers he stays.

Let’s take your own advice and remove emotions from this. We are up against the cap with two key 2021 UFAs in Gallagher and Danault. We also have upcoming UFAs Tatar and Armia as well as Lehkonen and Mete who will be RFAs.

I understand not all will be kept, but 5 of those 6 are going to be asking for a fair sum of money.

Then there’s Kotkaniemi who will also be a RFA. His next contract will really depend on how the season goes.

So, removing emotions and strictly looking at it money wise, it’s probably going to be hard keeping Gallagher if he’s asking $6.5m+ more than 5 years. We got Suzuki needing a raise in a couple years and if we bridge Kotkaniemi and he breaks out, he’s another who may get paid.

Ideally we move Drouin, shift Toffoli to LW (I believe he can play this side) and keep Gallagher, but if he’s asking for a 7 year $49m deal, I dunno, that is tough as the very same concerns about Anderson apply to Gallagher; his play style is not the type where these players age gracefully,

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Gally signs guys, his raise will come from the backup goalie savings.....it's just term at this point.
Relax folks....no trade needed............now Drouin, that's a different story.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
I'd argue that 4 more years of Danault are of more value to the team than, say, 4 more years of Gally following our additions this off-season.

It's not even debatable. Danault's matchup centre role vs. Gally's crash & bang role? With "repaired" hands? Nah. Danault.

And @sandviper is right, Toffoli will be shifted left which will allow Julien quite a bit of flexibility when storming/norming/forming the new lines at camp.

That's a lot of pressure on Gally, we're super deep on the right side now. Danault is not expandable, not one bit. No one even close to ready to replace him.

Reactions: Walrus26

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
So Gallagher is probably looking at the Kreider contract of 7 years x 6.5 million.

I bet the Habs are offering 4 or 5 years at 6ish per year.

7 years for Gallagher is mighty scary but he's the heart of this team. I never want to see him in another jersey.

Roadhouse

Bring me back to 2006...
Dec 12, 2016
Prescott & Russell
the very same concerns about Anderson apply to Gallagher; his play style is not the type where these players age gracefully,

I would argue it's more serious with Gally. I don't think Andy will be fighting much in Montreal, his shoulders should be alright. Gally's shot looked like AHL level in the playins and playoffs.

Reactions: dralaf

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Not talking about the initial report as much as I'm talking about Elliotte Friedman and Frank Sevaralli putting oil on the fire. Friedman went as far as hinting Gallagher felt betrayed because of the deal we gave to Anderson. Ridiculous stuff. As for Sevaralli, he's clearly coming up with rumours out of nos ass on the Canucks being interested without Gallagher even being on the market.

This was a pretty common theme this week from the podcast. Particularly about the Vegas situation but also with Toews and the Blackhawks. Once the news broke, I wasn't surprised Freidman continued on that track with Gallagher. Early on in the pod he talks about Mercenaries vs the guys who play for the crest. Gallagher vs Anderson is a prime example of that.

THE HOFF

Sep 26, 2007
I will flip out when I'll hear those perfectly crafted hypocrite questions about Gally this year from the mario langue salle and arpon basu of this world...

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
Gallagher will not get 30 goals anymore. he wont be playing 17min a game.
If you pay him for past feats , means u are in doubt.
Gallagher is at max a 50 points scorer with top minute. Back on a second line he will hardly end up with 40~ points. 6.5M for a second is just wasted money with limited tools.

Yep. Not only are Gallagher's points going to be cannibalized with the additions, his O-Zone starts are likely to be as well.

Without Nate Thompson's 61% D-Zone starts, Danault is likely going to be leaned on, at least early until Evans can earn that trust. If Evans can earn that trust. So unless the line gets split up, it'll be Gallagher tied to Danaults hip moreso than last season and he'll have a much closer to 50/50 split. That said, in the playoffs it was Suzuki, Armia, and surprisingly enough Drouin who got the bulk of the D-Zone starts.

Last edited:

Bushfire31

Sep 11, 2018
So Gallagher is probably looking at the Kreider contract of 7 years x 6.5 million.

7 years for Gallagher is mighty scary but he's the heart of this team. I never want to see him in another jersey.
If I can be 1 of 21k fans in the Bell Centre giving Saku Koivu a standing ovation before the games opening face off while he is wearing a white Ducks jersey, then I can most definitely get used to seeing Gallagher wearing another uniform.
Let’s just make sure he doesn’t walk for nothing.

Last edited:

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Bergevin is such a two-faced GM.

Yesterday he said he does not comment on negotiations.

About a week ago, he told RDS that Gallagher will be the highest paid forward on the team, that he won't want a 'short' 4-5 year contract but rather a long one, and that he is committed to having Gallagher retire a Hab.

Perhaps he came to his senses since.

If it were me, I would be telling him,

"Brendan, it's a strange world out there right now. I don't know how you feel about things, but look at what Taylor Hall did, look at how most contracts that UFAs signed were for less money than their previous one, and half the guys aren't even signed yet.

You know we want you and respect you, so here's the deal: you can have whatever number of years you want, up to four, at $6.5M. Whenever your deal is up, we will work with you to extend at a fair market value at that time, under those circumstances. You choose the timing, just let us know."

Last edited:

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Callahan: Started declining in his 28 years old season. Had been playing in the league for 7 seasons.
Gionta: Started declining in his 32 years old season. Had been playing in the league for 9 seasons.
Tucker: Started declining in his 32 years old season. Had been playing in the league for 11 seasons.
Peca: Started declining in his 29 years old season. Had been playing in the league for 8 seasons.
Drury: Started declining in his 33 years old season. Had been playing in the league for 10 seasons.
Ott*: Started declining in his 31 year old season. Had been playing in the league for 10 seasons.
Morrow: Started declining in his 32 years old season. Had been playing in the league for 11 seasons.
Burrows*: Started declining in his 31 year old season. Had been playing in the league for 7 seasons.
Brown: Started declining in his 28 year old season but resurgence in his 32 year old season.
M. Richards: Started declining in his 28 year old season. Had been playing in the league for 8 seasons.

Then there are bigger guys like Clowe (29 years old), Simmonds (30 years old), Lucic (29 years old) Backes (32 years old) who also saw quick declines.

(guys with a * are listed in the 6 foot range so just a bit bigger than Gally and bit smaller than the names like Clowe)

Gallagher has been in the league for 8 seasons now. He's more than earned his money. Max I would be comfortable giving him would be a 6.33M AAV for 5 years. This would bring him to 33 years old when his contract expires which is around the age of the other players declined. Truth is, Gally has suffered hand injuries and at least 3 concussions that I can think off of the top of my head. Gallagher doesn't have a ton of mileage left and if he doesn't accept offer the kind of money that I listed above, then trade him.

Do you know what the guys I listed have in common beside their style of play? (Besides Lucic) Their teams never cashed in before their play went down. Let's be visionaries for once and cash in while the iron is still hot. 30 GMs would be interested in adding a guy like Gallagher, let the bidding begin.
Gallagher is a guy that wants to be paid like a scorer who had his shooting hand fracture twice, now had a broken jaw, and has had countless other injuries.

My point is EXACTLY the one you made at the end: let the bidding wars start, now.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
EkQZLkeWoAADRYc

WickedPegJets

Feb 12, 2017
Consider the following. Bergey loosened Geoff Molson’s tight wallet and signed high caliper right wingers Josh Anderson and Tyler Toffoli to long term reasonably team friendly contracts for less annual average salary than Gally and his agent are demanding. (On many teams, they would be top six forwards.)

Brendan “Play Every Shift Like It’s Your Last” Gallagher being the Habs’s hardest worker and being a smallish guy won’t last the full term of his desired 7 to 8 year contract so why give him the term? Gauge what other GMs value him and if the price is right, trade him out of your Division for a No. 1 draft pick and a ready now top end prospect. Perhaps the Canucks’ GM Jim Benning might be interested.

Being such a hard worker can get a player traded.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc McKenna

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Anderson and Toffoli are locked in for 4/7 years. Caufield is probably 2 years away. Signing Gallagher to a 6-7 year contract is short sighted imho.

As much as I like the player, the writing is on the wall imo. Trading him in a Pacioretty type trade (RW signed for 2-3 years, Good prospect and pick) would be fine by me.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Anderson and Toffoli are locked in for 4/7 years. Caufield is probably 2 years away. Signing Gallagher to a 6-7 year contract is short sighted imho.

As much as I like the player, the writing is on the wall imo. Trading him in a Pacioretty type trade (RW signed for 2-3 years, Good prospect and pick) would be fine by me.
It is very short sighted..

NekkiChiconey

Mar 17, 2016
Lisbon
I would give him 5yrs a 6M max. Otherwise you need to trade him. The thing is, you need to know before the season starts because it'll be harder to trade him in season and he'll either lose value and obtain a lesser return, or gain value and ask for more money and term.
If you do sign him and sign Danault, you probably need to trade one of them after the 21-22 season.
If you trade him... I don't see why a team would give up a younger LW of same talent so MB probably has to settle for a Pacioretty-type deal (which could turn out great)

Reactions: dralaf

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

And Ylonen is also a Right Winger (we never know)

If we look at production vs need vs prospect pool.....it makes a lot more sense to sign Tatar than Gallagher (Not that I want to extend Tatar) since we're not that strong on the Left and we don't have good prospects coming either.

My first instinct would still be to extend him, but if I put him on the market....I'm going after one of those big name we heard in the past like Huberdeau, Mantha, Ehlers, Laine or Nylander. Of course, ready to add big time to get there.

For me, it will be harder to replace Gallagher than it was to replace Pacioretty.
We got lucky with Pacioretty, won't be the same thing everytime....

Reactions: smirob

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
FYI, good read on the Gallagher / Danault situation and Bergevin's thoughts moving forward. Arpon Basu’s article on The Athletic

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Curious here, Gally/Anderson/Toffolli are all right shots, can any of them play the left side? We know Gally can't but could he if asked?

Any thoughts?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Curious here, Gally/Anderson/Toffolli are all right shots, can any of them play the left side? We know Gally can't but could he if asked?

Any thoughts?
I suspect Armia will play LW, slotting Toffoli on his natural RW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad